Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 17

Unfortunately we're in for a kind of long and ugly dungeon.

Even the enemies are kind of droll to look at.

The Orgus' are new. They're those blobs on the ground and they aren't that dangerous.

A well timed Vortex will usually knock them out cold.

If nothing else though, this place does have some rather pretty water effects.

It's a bad screen shot but they all were. This is Stahn's Fire Tornado. It works much like Ice Tornado but it'll melt your flesh off. Beyond some enemies absorbing elements, they don't really come into play.

We already saw the spell so I won't show it again, but just pointing out that now Philia can use it.

Remember that this place is suppose to be an underwater cavern that leads to Moreu. I can just imagine the ceiling is ready to break under all this water.

Don't be fooled by these things. You can totally walk over them if you don't mind getting :nms: Trench Foot:nms:.

Leon picks up an overly complicated move during our crawl. He tends to pick up shared moves before Stahn. I think that's to push the idea that he's a better swordsman.

Naturally he holds the pose for a second or two to let the cool factor sink in.

I get excited now whenever I see The Black Wings because these little bits are all 100% new to me. I have never gotten them to follow me around the world like this.

"Finally ... I've finally found it!! This means that I'll become a truly omnipotent lifeform. Heh, I'm so great, I'm running out of adjectives to describe my greatness!"

"Boss...I'm...I'm so...happy!"

"Hi, Stahn DARLING?!"

"Oh, I'm so thrilled to see you again! We were destined to meet again..."

Really good water effects for the time. Hell if you look closely you can see The Black Wings reflected in the water.

"Oh, you're that young man I met before. I know you wanted my autograph, but you shouldn't have followed me this far! That's overdoing it!"

I wonder how Grid would feel if he found out he was so unimportant to this game that you can play through and never encounter him once.

"That's not really why I'm here."

"Then, did you come here for this monument too?! Oh, that's why I hate amateurs! Do you have any idea what this thing is?"

"Huh?"

"The words of a Sacred Skill are inscribed on this monument and can only be read by the chosen few! This isn't something that an ordinary fellow like you can read. You should give up on your foolish dreams now. Why don't you stand aside and watch until I get the Sacred Skill? Observe and learn!"

"John!"

"Yes, boss!"

"Can you read this?"

It's ok, John, Stahn can't either and look at him. Star of his own video game!

"I dunno what is says, boss... B, boss, are you telling me that you can't read it?!"

"..........!

I have no idea how you exclaim a long pause.

"How dare you even suggest that I, Grid, the Omnipotemt, am incapable of reading these sacred words!! Of course, I was able to read words from the sacred teachings!! John, you can't read this words because you lack proper training! If you keep training like me, the path to enlightenment shall open to you, and you too can read these sacred words!"

The bright side of having run with the joke that those slabs are meaningless is that the game did all the explaining for me. Reach a certain level, read the slab, get a new move!

"Boss...You've been reborn!"

"Nothing is impossible for Grid, the Omnipotent!"

"Oh, brother...gimme a break!"

"You poor, common people! I have learned the Sacred Skill! Can any of you read this words on the monument?! Well, see you again, young man! Farewell!"

I made my self a promise when I started this LP that I wouldn't grind. We are actually a bit under leveled for this dungeon but the game is so easy it's not a big deal. However, I really don't want to come back later on so I just went ahead and picked up about four levels.

So of course we also picked up a few new tricks.

Thievery is this game's version of "steal." You can see the item you stole at the end of the fight where it lists all the stuff that monsters inexplicably carry for you to take in RPGs. It's also pretty useless as no enemy has a truly unique item.

If she fails, Rutee ends up tripping and laying on the ground for a moment much like Find Gald.

There's never a question of whether or not she found something.

Rutee picked quite a few tricks while chilling in the background. Barriar increases a party members defense by 10%.

And Ice Wall is the water version of the wall spells.

He's not in the screenshot but this is Leon's new spell. There's some stuff that'll hit all enemies in the fight, and some stuff that'll only hit all enemies on the screen. It's important to learn the difference as the fight area's are about two and a half screens.

This is the strong version of Hammer Drop. It does no damage, just knocks enemies out cold.

I turned it off so the A.I. can never use it again.

Mary also gets the impressive looking Force.

It's pretty far reaching and will not only knock enemies to the ground, but push them away. Giving you some nice breathing room with the added benefit of you smacking a spell caster mid-charge. Stahn will pick it up as well soon enough and I'll be able to show off the fun ways you can play around with it.

So after that we got enough to finally pick up this Sacred Skill. You gotta be at level 22 to pick up this move.

These things quiz you about a spell and a special move that you have and generally combine the two to give you a new toy to play with. This one was Fireball if I'm not mistaken.

This one is the ever useful Spin Slash. If you get them wrong I'm pretty sure you can try over and over until you got it right.

After getting them right, it gives you a very brief and vague description of the new move.

The slab turns into a book which almost causes Stahn to say it's just not worth it.

But who can resist the urge to strike a cool pose? Let's see it in action

The move it self is pretty flashy and takes a bit to properly pull off.

I mean it even starts with a useless pose just to go back into his battle stand for a brief second.

With the help of anime Stahn back flips 20 feet into the air.

And not only does he manage to catch himself mid-air,

He manages to start a huge thing of fire and change direction.

And he brings it all crashing down on the face of his enemies. It does about 200 points of damage and for right now that's pretty drat good.

Eventually after some more wandering around we come to the cave entrance. Of course this wouldn't be an RPG if some giant monster wasn't guarding it.

Lunch!

"It looks like we have to beat this one to get through here!"

Not only does Mary taunt it, she also turns her back on it to give it a sporting chance.

So in case you were wondering where those blobs came from, here's your answer. So, yes, that is an egg sack on her back.

Poor thing doesn't really have much HP and doesn't do too much damage either.

The main thing you're gonna wanna do is to massacre her children right in front of her eyes so your spell casters have some time to cast.

This is a bit easier said then done because she has a tendency to jump around the battle field.

You can see both Leon and Mary missing with mis-timed special moves thanks to her jumping.

Not only does it make the queen hard to hit, it'll actually damage any party members she lands on.

Philia picked up a new spell on the way to the boss fight.

Just under a thousand points of damage.

Even with her children murdered, it can be a bit hard to get off a spell. She'll land on you and interrupt your spell or she can just bite your entire party at once.

All in all though, you shouldn't have too much trouble with this thing. Hopefully with the queen dead and eaten, there won't be any more of those abominations anymore.

"We humans have finally made a species extinct!"

"It looks like we can go through now."