Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 19

This is going to be interesting because I have never used Karyl. Not once have I ever used him in all my years of playing this game. Nothing really against him it's just that he starts like six levels under you and I never wanted to deal with that. Anywho, let's storm the castle! :black101:

"Then, why don't we force our way in..."

"No way man. If we do that, it'll be total and utter chaos."

Big whoop, we can one shot their entire army. I mean they only give us 27 experience points. How tough can they be?

"Well, then what do we do? Do you have a plan?"

"Absolutely! Let's go down to the pier."

"The pier?"

"What's there?"

"You'll find out when we get there, baby."

Before we do that though, we got something to knock out first.

Yeah and I'm not doing this for free you know. Where's my reward?

"My son is fine. I don't know how to repay you. I'd like to give you a token of my gratitude..."

You got an option here to say yes or no. I however am really invested in roleplaying Stahn's humble hero persona know which answer gives me the best item so I say no.

"Now please don't be so shy. Please take this.

10% boost to defense. Saying yes gives you like some kind of gel of which I think we have max of everything.

There was one other thing we have to do but I apparently didn't take screencaps of it. Down in the harbor there's a dude who sells three types of armor, three types of helms, and three types of swords. The trick is that they're all listed as weapon???/armor???/helm??? and they're pretty expensive. Two thirds of the stuff he's selling is also starting game equipment. So with a bit of save/loading cheating you can buy only what you need and come out of there pretty pimped out. After which we report him to the Better Business Bureau.

"So, is this it? Sure. But please make sure you rescue master Fayte!"

"No prob, dude. It's under control."

After a boat ride that's longer than it has any right being we make our way to a rope that's conveniently placed outside the castle.

I still say we could have just sent in Mary Blindfolded to take out the guards.

"Where are we?"

"This is the outer perimeter of Moreau Castle. We'll be fine once we get in. You're back in charge once we're inside."

Suck it, Mario, we found the princess on the first try.

"Yo baby, we're here to help you!"

"Karyl?!"

"Leianna, how are you?"

"How did you get here?"

"Well, you know, from the outside."

"......"

Don't look at me, I didn't vote him into the party.

"Thank you for saving me."

"So, who is she?"

Oh thank god! I thought I missed a plot dump somewhere.

"Here's a little surprise for you! She's the wife of the next lord of Moreau."

"The interior of this castle has been changed around quite a bit."

I don't know what it is about JRPG villains and their desire for overly complex castles. Further more why do they always populate them with monsters? Are they like pets to them or something?

"Karyl, please rescue him..."

"No problem, just leave it to me. I'll rescue Fayte. You just keep cool and stay out of sight."

"Yes."

"Shall we go?"

"Sure. Let's get them."

Already we're off to a good start. Leianna acts as a free inn and right next door is a save point. If only the rest of the dungeon was this nice to us.

You might think the water is there just for nice effect. To give the dungeon atmosphere. No, the water is just there to make our lives more difficult.

Every monster in this dungeon is just a re-skin powered up version of things we've fought before. Those Killer Bee's though can poison us though which finally gives me a chance to show off Rutee's Antidote

In battle Karyl is really more of a support character. He lacks spells and physical strength to back up attacks. Of course that isn't going to stop him. He'll slash and thrust with his mandolin just the same.

Karyl starts with one special and will never learn anymore. He'll never gain another special move by leveling up. Instead around the world you'll find treasure chests with special items called "Score A" or "Score B" once you have these in your inventory, Karyl will automatically have a new special move. The one you're seeing up there, Symphony, gives a 10% boost to the entire parties hit rating.

The dungeon is pretty straight forward for now because no one in the party knows how to swim.

Does exactly what you'd think it'd do.

Remember these guys from update one? Yeah me too. But in the room with the valve we found "Score A" and Karyl picked up Samba. :banjo: Each note hits for about the same as Karyl's physical attacks but it hits three or four times and from a distance so it's kind of useful. Like I said before just having it in your inventory is enough for Karyl to access the move. No need to use it or study it or anything.

"I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"

There's a lot of backtracking in this dungeon. In this part you gotta go all the way back to find these stairs which leads us into the channel where the water normally is.

Remember the pulling mechanic? Yeah me neither. But none the less you need it to-

Hold on a sec, these battles tend to interrupt my screen shots.

Ok that's better. So you're gonna have to pull those big rear end blocks to finish the paths for you to walk across.

Can't swim, can't jump.

"But Volume," You're surely asking. "Why do all that if with the water off you can get to the end of this half of the dungeon?"

Because Batista has some funny ideas on how doors are suppose to work.

The power crystals aren't new either, just a new color. The difference is that now they can cast magic. Of course that's all they can do. I'm not even joking. The things can't even move around the battle field so once you reach them they are helpless.

With the water back on we can make our way to the door now.

And we discover that this one wasn't set pixel perfect so we can't cross it. I'll spare you the back tracking to fix it and instead end this update by showing you what's behind the magical door.

More dungeon :toot:

Next Time: