Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Alright guys, I'm back! Keekiyasan helped me reign in the hamminess with the Berkana and Gareth conversation (I um, kind of accidentally made her into a sadistic dominatrix in her first line of dialogue), but, it seems as though it takes a few days for him to respond to each message. So, we're going to keep going now. Now then, the dialogue!

First of all, we need to talk about the Dr. Light capsules. Why? Because these had a lot, and I mean A LOT of dialogue omitted, especially when he's talking to Zero. Because, just like in X5, Dr. Light has a few things to say to Zero. And, after having looked over the Japanese script, I can now confirm that it wasn't just space limitations that caused that. No, the localizers were just flat out lazy. Well, that, or they were only given like, two hours to translate the game, as seen here...

quote:

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. I’ll increase your defensive ability and you’ll receive less damage…

Dr. Light: Dr. Light: さあ カプセルに 入るのだ。たいした パワーアップができず すまないが ここでは ダメージを はんげん できるよう ぼうぎょりょくを アップしよう。エックスと きみに 未来は たくされた。たのむぞ!

quote:

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Body Upgrade. This Upgrade will increase your defensive ability. utilizing the energy from damage, you can unleash the GIGA CRUSH!

Dr. Light: さあ カプセルに 入るのだ。ボディパーツをつければ ぼうぎょりょくが アップして ダメージを はんげんする。そればかりか ダメージを きゅうしゅうして エネルギーに へんかんし ひっさつの ギガクラッシュで ダメージを あたえられる。レプリロイドのソウルを まもるのじゃ、エックス!

quote:

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Zero Final. This is the most powerful weapon and will destroy almost any enemy.

Dr. Light: さあ カプセルに 入るのだ。きみのことを かんぜんに かいせきしているわけではないが ちょっとした パワーアップなら してあげられそうだ。ここでは 敵1体を かくじつに たおす ゼロファイナルを さずけよう。いつまでも エックスと ともに 戦って ほしい。

Man, and here I thought Xtreme 1 had the worst localization...say what you want about that one, at least THOSE guys actually bothered to do the ENTIRE script; As opposed to only like, 50% of it, as shown here. Now then, onto the dialogue itself. First of all, Berkana is a lot more interesting in the Japanese version, as exhibited here...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GARETH TALKS TO BERKANA

Berkana: They have been very entertaining!

Berkana: Huhuhu…This is… stupendous! Go on boys! Show me your power!!

Gareth: It is unwise to allow them to act on this island. They should be terminated immediately…

Gareth: Berkana, now is not the time to be indulging yourself. They need to be exterminated, immediately.

Gareth doesn't use Berkana's name in the Japanese version, but then, you're generally not supposed to use people's first names in Japan. It's more acceptable here in America, so that's why I threw that in.

Berkana: Not yet. I want the data on the Maverick Hunters. The more they fight, the stronger they would become, thus better data would be acquired.

Berkana: Not yet. I want GOOD data from those strapping lads. The more they fight, the stronger they become. And I never settle for second best ♥.

Gareth: We have acquired enough DNA Souls. We don’t need any more.

Gareth: But we already have more than enough DNA Souls. I could destroy them at a moment’s notice, if only you’d let me.

Berkana: You must have noticed how dangerous it is to fight both of them at the same time.

Berkana: Oh ho, my dear Gareth…Really now? Do you not see the peril in fighting both of them at once?

Gareth: True. It is too dangerous to fight them at once.

Gareth: …True. They are quite deadly as a pair.

Berkana: Let’s enjoy watching them for a while. One of the guardians may get lucky and destroy them.

Berkana: Yes, so why not enjoy ourselves, see if the guardians can cook a MEAL from those beef cakes? You never know.

Gareth: It is very unlikely… But if you say so…

Gareth: That’s…not very reassuring. But if you insist…

Berkana: I can hardly wait to meet them. Hee hee hee…

Berkana: I do. Oh ho, I can’t wait to meet those boys. Huhuhu…♥♥

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, the dialogue is mostly the same, with one important distinction. Berkana is a LOT flirtier in the Japanese version, to the point where she is constantly (and I do mean CONSTANTLY) referring to X and Zero as "boys". No, I'm serious, she says it so often, that it almost seems like a vocal tick at times. So when I had her saying "beef cake" and "strapping lad"? That was just her saying "boys" yet again.

Which is alright in the Japanese language, since repetition like that comes off differently. In that language, repetition, from what I understand, is often used to give added punch to the dialogue. However, if you translate that too literally, it'll just come off like a bad Frank Miller comic, with such classic lines like...

"KAIBA! This will crush the evil in you! MIND CRUSH! Now the evil plaguing your mind has been crushed to bits!"

So if you ever see Berkana using stuff like "handsome man" or "darling" or anything like that? That's just her saying "boy" yet AGAIN in the Japanese version :mmmhmm:. Now then, let's see the Dr. Light Capsules...

VOLT CATFISH STAGE (X UPGRADE)

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Leg Upgrade. The Upgrade will enhance your mobility and enable you to dash while jumping. You’ll also be able to dash upward.

Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. Attach the Leg Upgrade, and your movement capabilities will go through the roof! You'll be able to dash mid-jump, and even go straight up! ! What’s more, you’ll be able to break special blocks with this. Now go hunt down evil, X!

LAUNCH OCTOPUS STAGE (X UPGRADE)

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Body Upgrade. This Upgrade will increase your defensive ability. utilizing the energy from damage, you can unleash the GIGA CRUSH!

Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. Attach the Armor Upgrade, and your defense will rise. All damage will be halved. Plus, it will actually CONVERT that damage into energy. Gather enough, and you'll be able to whip out the deadly Giga Crush! Protect the souls of all Reploids, X!

NEON TIGER STAGE (X UPGRADE)

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Head Upgrade. This Head Upgrade will give you the ability of the Head Crush and allow you to crush certain blocks.

Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. Attach the Helmet Upgrade, and you can break certain blocks with a Headbutt! What are you waiting for, X?! Smash their evil schemes!

FLAME MAMMOTH STAGE (X UPGRADE)

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Arm Upgrade. The Upgrade will increase the amount to be charged. You can shoot two charged shots in a row. The two consecutive shots become a wide shot!

Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. Attach the Buster Upgrade, and you can shoot two charged shots in a row by charging it long enough. Or, you can combine the two of them into a SCATTER SHOT! Defeat the looming menace, X!

WIRE SPONGE STAGE (ZERO UPGRADE)

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Leg Crush. This Upgrade will allow you to crush certain blocks.

Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. I haven’t completely analyzed you, but I can at least give you a small upgrade. Here, I will give you the ability to destroy certain blocks with your shoes... Zero, you are the only one I can count on. I entrust X to you.

OVERDRIVE OSTRICH STAGE (ZERO UPGRADE)

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Head Crush. This Head Upgrade will allow you to crush certain blocks…

Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. I do not fully understand your systems, so I can only give you a token upgrade to your helmet. With it, you can smash certain blocks... Zero, promise me that you and X will never be enemies; That's all I ask. Do that, and I will have gone in peace...

BLAST HORNET STAGE (ZERO UPGRADE)

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. I’ll increase your defensive ability and you’ll receive less damage…

Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. I'll increase your durability enough so that all damage you take will be cut in half. I'm sorry... but that's all I can manage. The future is in your hands Zero. We're all counting on you two!

TUNNEL RHINO STAGE (ZERO UPGRADE)

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule. Take this Zero Final. This is the most powerful weapon and will destroy almost any enemy.

Dr. Light: Now, enter the capsule. No, I still haven't fully analyzed you, but I can give a SLIGHT power-up! Here it is; The Zero Final! No enemy can survive this! Now remember, I want you to fight alongside X, Zero; For all time.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 19, 2016