Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
movax
Aug 30, 2008

Also, Asus saw it fit to make me dig through their product pages to figure poo poo out (their product comparator was borked when I tried it), and then I saw legit reviews put up a nice spec table: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1500/1/

Happy:
- all have USB 3.0
- all have Firewire
- all have SATA 6Gbps
- P8P67 PRO and above implement a PHY for the integrated MAC in the P67
- P8P67 is only $160.00...so, $200 at the egg?

Sad:
- need to get the PRO or better for SLI
- P8P67 doesn't use the Intel ethernet controller
- P8P67 is starved for lanes :(
- no legacy 775 holes :(

Also, don't buy the LE. Personally I think I will go for the PRO, because I don't SLI, but want the Intel ethernet solution.

Happy to see that pretty EFI implementation. I guess the Asus engineers that were sleeping all the time during training could learn in their sleep.

e: In case anyone was curious about the integrated Intel Ethernet functionality, it's similar to what was in the Q57. The chipset provides an integrated 10/100/1000 MAC. This MAC is useless without an accompanying PHY however, which as its name suggests interfaces with the physical ethernet network. Apparently, it's cheaper for some makers to buy a Realtek controller (MAC+PHY) and use that compared to buying just the Intel PHY. If you don't use the Intel PHY however, I think you can repurpose that PCIe x1 link for something else...like the aforementioned Realtek chip.

e2: And now I know why the PEX8608 is backordered, thanks Asus! :argh:

I think everyone should seriously consider the "splurge" for getting the Intel solution; your torrents will thank you.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 3, 2011