Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

eternal darkness is a finnicky game, search their forums to find the right version for it

More finicky than Megaman: Network Transmission?

The game itself runs, oh... well it dips to 30-ish depending on the effects used, but otherwise runs better than a lot of other games. However, the pre-rendered movies play between 1 and .5 fps. I had to start a new game and put the window in the background for 10-20 minutes.

I hope there aren't any other pre-rendered movies, for that will be painful.

EDIT: I hate double posting, so I'll just surprise anyone who's looked in the past 20 hours with NEW MATERIAL. Sort of.

Well, it's been a few years since I booted up Eternal Darkness, but I got around to ripping the disc and finding out how finicky it was in Dolphin. And, well, NOT PAUL LAYTON wasn't kidding. The game plays fine and the frame rate was fairly steady in the 40s and 50s, but most elements of the pause menu don't show up. If I hadn't spent a year playing this game every so often and getting my game-time down to something like 4.5 hours beginning to end, I'd not have able to conjure up from memory where save/load/etc. were in the pause menu. They're black screens of nothing with a highlight box.

Most of the in-engine cinematics also have no audio. Not even music. And if you turn on subs, they just cycle at the bottom of the screen every few seconds, much too fast to be timed by anything.

To anyone worried about spoilers, this is maybe 10 minutes of game, and the last four images are from the N64 trailer SK released when they canceled the N64 project and announced it for the Gamecube instead.

Click here to view the full image
This game sure is darker than I recall.

And the textures? Well it's not hard to remember it started development as a late-gen N64 title.

Who's a badass?

That's right, I'm a motherfucking badass, people. Bow.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 20, 2011