Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
My first real introduction to PC RPGs (not counting Temple of Apshai on the C64) was by way of the Sega-Genesis port of this gem.

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. It's based on an ill-fated attempt of the Dille family to mine their family's IP through a 2nd Ed AD&D based sci-fi tabletop RPG. I still have my copy of the game (PC version, I rented the port), and it's sequel - Matrix Cubed.

Set in a post apocalyptic world where the Earth has been abandoned as a dumping ground and trash heap, Buck Rogers put you in the role of freedom fighters for the New Earth Organization (NEO). Your faction is dedicated to restoring the Earth to it's former glory by freeing it from the influence of RAM, or the Russo-American Mercantile. You bounce around to different parts of the solar system - the Moon, Mars, Venus, various Asteroids thwarting attempts by RAM to develop and deploy a new doomsday weapon.

All of the inner system planets have long since been colonized, from Mercury to Mars, the latter being the cultural and manufacturing center of the solar system and the seat of RAM. Genetic engineering is rife, from subspecies of humanity better adapted to living in places like the acid-swamps of Venus or the low gravity environment of the Moon to races like the Spacer who are capable of existing unaided in the vacuum of space.

In place of magic weapons, you have technology. Armor and weapons manufactured on certain planets would provide a range of bonuses similar to magic armor - Lunar weapons being the best and Earth made weapons being the default. The game also had space battles! Very early on in the game you are given command of a ship, the Maelstrom Rider and can take it into battle with other ships. Each member of your party would be responsible for a different aspect of crewing the ship, such as navigation, gunnery or repair.

The game featured a percentage based skill set in addition to the AD&D based combat mechanics. Skills like navigation, gunnery, jury-rig and repair would come into play during the game's space battles. Skills like Zero-G movement would allow characters to move more effectively during boarding actions.

The setting is VERY different than what most people recall of Buck Rogers, either from the TV show or the old serials. I remember my disappointment being palpable when I rented a VHS copy of the Buck Rogers movie, wondering where my genetically engineered freaks and needle guns were.

There aren't a lot of good screen shots out there, but this is one of the less-remembered Gold Box titles out there.