Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic

This game totally blew my pre-adolescent mind. It had everything!
Want to create an RPG team from pretty much all the awesomest sci-fi movies? Perfect, go run around with Riley and the Terminator and that blue haired chick. That nerdy guy? Make him a doctor and that asian avatar (not pictured)? You're on science station! You get to set your guys into different classes with different skills and enjoy all that RPG stuff you're spoiled with but without elves!

Ok, so you've got your guys, what do you do with them? Well, first you can wander around different places in a crazy Future Bard's Tale + Aliens Motion Detector view. It was awesome, combat was also hard as hell but oh man you got some great weapons!

This is the future though! So don't just shop, get in your rad SR-71 looking spaceship and either go find guys to shoot up, or upgrade(!!!) I spent so many hours trying to get ship gear leveled up, which basically consisted of saying "Upgrade Lasers" then wait for a while for a dice roll and then frantically saving if it passed and didn't instead blow up my lasers.

Other then that there were trading and land-based elements too! So get in your awesome space tank and go mining or find towns that have quests or whatever. I loved driving around my space tank though.

Seriously, this game's over-arching hugeness is probably its biggest downfall. Combat is easy to happen into and it's freaking hard in the beginning. In classic 80's tradition, you didn't get any direction as to what the hell you were supposed to do to "have fun" and when the plot actually got you it comes completely out of no where. I'm some sort of future Jedi now?? Yes and it's awesome!

I haven't tried replaying this game because I'm pretty self-aware of the Rose Colored Lenses, but man awesome memories of this game. A perfect Sci-Fi transition of successful fantasy RPG mechanics with the addition of different game systems to just take it over the top.

Scouring GIS for images, I happened upon a Let's Play which is pretty sweet, guessing it's a Goon project, since LP is a subforum and the ship's name is Awful. Check it out cuz it's a great writeup: http://lparchive.org/Sentinel-Worlds-I-Future-Magic/

Buck Rogers, as was posted ages ago was another favorite, along with RoadWar 2000 which I might have to post about too. I got absolutely nowhere in that game, but that didn't keep me from replaying it about 9000 times. I've been highly tempted to remake it as a web game but :effort: and confidence are both required in large doses.