Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

So what is this about?

Super Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Academy is a PSP murder mystery game published by Spike Chunsoft on July 27, 2012. It was written by Kazutake Kodaka with character design by Rui Komatsuzaki.

I see a 2 in the title. Should I know anything about 1?

Yes! Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is clearly written for players who have already finished the first game. In fact, if you are not familiar with the original Dangan Ronpa, stop reading right now and find out about it. One way to do it is by reading my LP for it (this link will change to an archived version once it is available).

So, is anything different from the first LP?

Several things.

First, despite constant reassurances, as a non-native speaker I was never quite satisfied with my prose writing skills in English. This time I have help: Fedule is working with me editing and rewriting the translation, and the result should be immediately noticeable. Some things to note: I was never an advocate of translations that are too literal, but this development pushes this one even farther away along the scale. I still wouldn't call this a "localisation". You won't find rice balls transformed into hamburgers here, and if the characters are talking about something that isn't obvious to the average westerner I'd rather provide cultural notes than do content changes. That said, we do change some references that are just too obscure or too deeply ingrained in the text. Finding the right balance is tricky, but I think the game deserves this kind of handling.

Oh, and honorifics are still in.

Formatting Notes:

Plain text next to a character icon is still spoken dialogue, bold text is our protagonist’s narration and inner monologue.

My own additions are still next to a small Monobear icon for gameplay related stuff and the occasional personal comments.

...and next to a Japanese flag for cultural references.

These are my comments. That is to say, Fedule’s comments. I write these unspoiled, so reactions are genuine. I won’t be doing it much, though - the game speaks well enough for itself.

This icon appears next to music links, as well as indicators for silence, fade-outs, and any other important things going on in the soundtrack.

The adventure parts of the game are mostly unvoiced, but some sections are voiced and recorded for your listening pleasure. They have a speaker icon in front of the first voiced line.

Video links are still between film icons . Full videos of trial sequences will be provided to showcase the game's excellent vocal talent and dynamic camera movement, but the content will all be replicated in screenshots. Videos in the adventure part, however, should be considered required viewing.

Finally, we have a new icon for an unidentified speaker, thanks to the talented HelloWinter.

:siren: SPOILER POLICY :siren:

This LP enforces a strict NO SPOILER policy. Since there is some confusion about what that means, allow me to elaborate:
  1. Obviously, don't write something like "I played the game and the protagonist dies at the end of the fourth chapter."
  2. Don't reference anything that's going to happen, even indirectly. "I can't wait to see the reactions to the next update" or "This chapter's mystery is going to be really hard for you, guys" are bad.
  3. Stuff that was in the game's promotional material pre-release shouldn't be mentioned until it appears on screen in the LP. That includes character names and titles.
  4. If you've been spoiled inadvertently, refrain from posting about it. Often, saying that you've been spoiled about something reveals that there is something to spoil about that something, which gives away too much.
  5. If you suspect someone is diguising spoilers as speculation, do not post about it on the thread. The best thing to do is to just ignore it, but if you are really concerned you may send me a private message.

Speculation is always welcome. Don't put it under a spoiler tag. Spoilers disguised as speculation are likely to pass without immediate repercussions, but remember that I am not stupid and if I see something that is too detailed and exact for me to have any doubts, you're going to get Monobear's watchful eye following your every move.

:siren: Fan art policy :siren:

If you want to draw fan art or produce other types of fan creations, go right away and post the results on the thread! Original fan art is always one of the best parts of an LP.
If you want to repost found artwork (including video) from other places on the web, please send me a private note first for approval. I am reachable by PM on somethingawful, or at hopespeakacademy@gmail.com. If you're going by email, though, the reply may be late since I do not check that account every single day.

One last thing

This game's story is twisty and surprising, and there are a lot of spoilers out there. As always, I recommend coming into the story clean - I don't think watching spoiler art or reading a cliff's notes version of the plot has the same effect. If you choose to follow that advice, I suggest you don't go looking anywhere else the web for information about the game. Spoilers are literally everywhere.

Dangan Ronpa/Zero is a novel published by Seikaisha’s FICTIONS imprint on September 16, 2011. It was written by Kodaka with illustrations by Komatsuzaki. DR/Zero is a prequel to the first game, but also provides important setup for SDR2. Its cast is mostly new, but also contains some returning faces. It’s a fully canon part of the Dangan Ronpa storyline, and you are getting a serialized translation of it in this thread, between game updates.

Table of Contents

Super Dangan Ronpa 2

Prologue
Super High-school Level Update #1
Super High-school Level Update #2
Super High-school Level Update #3
Super High-school Level Update #4
Super High-school Level Update #5
Super High-school Level Update #6
Super High-school Level Update #7
Super High-school Level Update #8
Super High-school Level Update #9
Super High-school Level Update #10 (Addendum)
Super High-school Level Update #11
Super High-school Level Update #12

Chapter 1
(Ab)normal days
Super High-school Level Update #13
Super High-school Level Update #14
Super High-school Level Update #15
Super High-school Level Update #16
Super High-school Level Update #17
Super High-school Level Update #18
Super High-school Level Update #19
Super High-school Level Update #20
Super High-school Level Update #21
Super High-school Level Update #22
Super High-school Level Update #23
Super High-school Level Update #24

Abnormal days
Super High-school Level Update #25
Super High-school Level Update #26
Super High-school Level Update #27
Super High-school Level Update #28
Super High-school Level Update #29

School trial
Super High-school Level Update #30
Super High-school Level Update #31
Super High-school Level Update #32
Super High-school Level Update #33
Super High-school Level Update #34
Super High-school Level Update #35
Super High-school Level Update #36
Super High-school Level Update #37
Super High-school Level Update #38

Chapter 2
(Ab)normal days
Super High-school Level Update #39
Super High-school Level Update #40 (including special extra video)
Super High-school Level Update #41
Super High-school Level Update #42
Super High-school Level Update #43
Super High-school Level Update #44
Super High-school Level Update #45
Super High-school Level Update #46
Super High-school Level Update #47
Super High-school Level Update #48
Super High-school Level Update #49
Super High-school Level Update #50
Super High-school Level Update #51

Abnormal days
Super High-school Level Update #52
Super High-school Level Update #53
Super High-school Level Update #54
Super High-school Level Update #55
Super High-school Level Update #56

School trial
Super High-school Level Update #57
Super High-school Level Update #58
Super High-school Level Update #59
Super High-school Level Update #60
Super High-school Level Update #61
Super High-school Level Update #62
Super High-school Level Update #63
Super High-school Level Update #64
Super High-school Level Update #65

Chapter 3
(Ab)normal days
Super High-school Level Update #66
Super High-school Level Update #67
Super High-school Level Update #68
Super High-school Level Update #69 (Addendum)
Super High-school Level Update #70
Super High-school Level Update #71
Super High-school Level Update #72
Super High-school Level Update #73
Super High-school Level Update #74
Super High-school Level Update #75
Super High-school Level Update #76
Super High-school Level Update #77
Super High-school Level Update #78
Super High-school Level Update #79
Super High-school Level Update #80
Super High-school Level Update #81
Super High-school Level Update #82

Abnormal days
Super High-school Level Update #83
Super High-school Level Update #84
Super High-school Level Update #85
Super High-school Level Update #86

Dangan Ronpa/Zero

Book one: 1 / 2 / 3A / 3B / 4 / 5 / 6A / 6B / 6C / 7+8 / 9 / 10+11 / 12A / 12B / 13+14 / 15 / 16 / Character Profiles
Book two: 1+2

Commentaries

Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes / Episode the First
Translation/Japanese Chat with orenronen / 1
Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes / Episode the Second
Translation/Japanese Chat with orenronen / 2
Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes / Episode the Third
Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes / Episode the Fourth
Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes / Episode the Fifth

orenronen fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 19, 2014