Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Inferior posted:

The subtitles abruptly shift from medium to large halfway through this post, at the point when I remembered how the interface scaling in SWTOR worked. The annoying thing about LPing an MMO is that you can't go back just by reloading a save, so apologies for the inconsistencies in this post, but things should at least be easier to read in future.

CHAPTER 2: CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN OF CONFLICT

Previously posted:

JOLUNE, a young Padawan, has been summoned to the old Jedi homeworld of TYTHON to complete her training. Her first task was to recover four ancient teaching holograms before they could be destroyed by rampaging FLESH RAIDERS. Three out of the four were safely recovered, but the fourth had already been removed by persons unknown. Now, JOLUNE travels to the Jedi Temple to speak with MASTER YUON PAR about the mystery...

: Wait, there's a landing pad right here? Why did I have to do all that running then?

: Hey, Padawan! You must be the one Master Yuon mentioned, must be!

: Sorry. Babbling.

: Don't worry, I do it all the time. We should start a club!

: Master Yuon said to remind you that she says a Jedi needs to learn martial skill, and said that I should say you should.

: Not really the calm and collected Padawan ideal, are you?

: First week. Just found I was Force sensitive. How crazy is that?

: And they gave you a lightsaber? I've been in the Order for 20 years and still haven't gotten mine.

: Um...Well, you're a Miralukan. You don't have any eyes, right? They probably wanted to be really, really sure about your Force sight before trusting you with a blade that cuts anything.

: That's pretty Space Racist, Hallen.

: I-I'm sorry...Go see Master Wettle in the temple. Doesn't look like much, but he'll show you stuff you wouldn't believe. Good luck- may the force be with you!

: The Jedi Temple... the centre of the Order. Home to the wisest minds, the bravest souls in the galaxy. My whole life has been leading up to this day, this place. What wonders wait within?

: :swoon:A giant dodecahedron!

: :swoon:A floating virtual purple thing!

: :swoon:A library!

: :swoon:A jukebox!

: A... wait, what is this room? Is that a Sith?!

: Yes.

: What are you doing to him?

: Filling his head with happy thoughts.

: Oh!

: ...

: Was that a lie?

: Yes.

: Perhaps I should go.

: Perhaps you should.

: Master Yuon's chambers should be down here... ah, here we go...

: :gonk:

: :gonk: :gonk:

: I haven't... Padawan. Come in. this is Qyzen Fess, an old friend. He's here on a hunting expedition; a sacred Trandoshan tradition.

: This thing doesn't look like anybody's friend.

: Padawan! That is enough. That's pretty Space Racist, Jolune.

: I-I'm sorry...

: Is no matter. Have scouting, before light changes. Scorekeeper watch over, Yuon.

: Some people, even some Jedi, disapprove of my friendship with Qyzen. I wanted you to meet, before rumors prejudiced you.

: I was glad to help, Master.

: I've identified the holoprojector that was stolen. It contained a hologram of... Master Rajivari. Rajivari was another of the Jedi founders. He... turned to the dark side and betrayed the very order he helped to create.

: Why would the founders keep Rajivari's image among them, after what he did?

: Excellent question. To honour his previous contributions? Or a gesture of healing? Hmmm. Regardless, Rajivari was extremely powerful, and that stolen hologram could hold his darkest secrets. The thief is likely from Kalikori village. Local Twi'lek Pilgrims, here illegally, many of them poor or hungry.

:Wait- Your first instinct is to blame the immigrants? That's pretty Space Racist, Master.

: I'm old, it's allowed.

: …

: You said Kalikori village isn't a legal settlement. I didn't think Tython had such laws.

: The Republic couldn't give the Twi'leks permission to colonize Tython- too dangerous- but they came regardless. I'd like you to go to Kalikori village, discover who took the holoprojector, and retrieve it. But tread lightly. The Twi'leks are here in defiance of Republic law. We're forbidden to fully defend them, even when the Flesh Raiders attack. Relations are... strained.

: We're Jedi. Aren't we obligated to help those in need?

: This is the Jedi Council's judgement. I might disagree, but the decision is made.

: I think meeting these Pilgrims will be a good lesson for you Padawan. Go carefully.

: Got a fresh robe on, pair of clean boots, ready for a little hiking!

: Huff...huff, hey there spiky rhino cow...

: I think... I'm about... to have a heart attack. Why is this village so...

: You wish to participate in the ceremony, I presume? You understand the dangers?

: I'm sorry. I don't know what you're talking about.

: You've not been told, then. I apologize. Many of your brethren- your “Padawans”- come to Kalikori to perform our rite of passage. Those who endure the ceremony are awarded an audience with Kolovish to receive her wisdom and her gifts.

: Why would the Jedi participate in Pilgrim rituals?

: To prove their strength. To gain rewards. To show friendship. Kolovish lives in the mountains above. Once our leader now, she is our guide and protector. To complete the ceremony, you must walk the thousand steps to her home.

: If you wish, I will ignite the brand. It burns only a short while, but- if you are deserving- it will be enough.

: No, I mean, I'm flattered you're asking me to take part in the whole “thousand steps up a steep mountain covered in Flesh Raiders” ritual, but I'm just looking for a man named Bashenn.

: I have no idea where he is. Kolovish might know though. She knows everyone's comings and goings.

: Sigh... I'm ready to carry the flame.

: Then go, and light each of the signal fires along the mountain path. When you reach the end, you will find Kolovish.

:I feel faint... and glowy for some reason.

: It may be just the oxygen deprivation talking, but I'm taking you down!

This mountain is a bit harder than the previous combat areas, and is the first time a Jedi Consular will encounter Strong enemies (unlike the Jedi Knight, who fights a Strong enemy at the end of their first quest). It is also likely to be the first place either class encounters an Elite boss enemy, in the form of the friendly chap pictured above who waits at the top of the path. Fortunately Jolune learned some extra combat abilities from the teacher that Padawan outside the temple pointed us towards:

1. Force wave, which blasts targets in front of us away, and knocks weak mobs to the ground for a short time. Most useful for knocking enemies off high ledges and watching them fall to their deaths.
2. Telekinetic throw, where we pelt an enemy with rocks for three seconds, doing damage, slowing their movement speed and stunning weak enemies for the duration. Useful, and can be upgraded considerably though acquired skills.

: Finally... here...

: I am Kolovish, first Matriarch and reader of the ancient texts. I led our people to this planet, and I welcome you.

: You're the reason the Pilgrims came to Tython?

: My teachings angered our rulers. They spurned our lifestyle and refused to recognize the authority of the Matriarchs. On Tython, we found we could practice our ways in peace. Even the Flesh Raiders can't destroy our society- not forever. Now that you've completed the ritual, you are a friend to the Pilgrims. You share our burdens and you share our strength.

: I am quite honoured. You seem to have a lot more burdens than strength but, hey! It's the thought that counts, right?

: Take these gifts. We have very little, as you must know- but you are Jedi. You share our world, and you face a difficult future.

: What's your reasoning on that?

: It is the way of Jedi to face darkness. I believe you will face the darkness of our world- and perhaps beyond. Go to your duties, now... and as we part, know that my blessings go with you.

:Speaking of duties... do you know where I can find Beshann?

: Of course. He should be in Kalikori village square, preparing for the Festival of Awakening.

:What.

:Why did you send me up that mountain, when Beshann is standing just over there?

: Because I needed to know that you understood us and our ways, that you weren't just another Jedi tourist here to patronise us.

: ...oh. Well, I...

: Also, I thought you could stand to lose a few pounds.

: …

: Aren't you going to go speak with Beshann? He'll be leaving soon.

: Just as well. We have an uninvited guest.

: I see. Festival of Awakening, Jedi. You're not welcome here.

: I'm assuming it doesn't involve mountain climbing.

: It doesn't and Jedi aren't invited.

: What do you want?

: Someone took a Jedi relic from the Gnarls, a holoprojector. I was hoping you might have seen it.

: A holoprojector. Yeah, I know what you mean. Nalen found one- Nalen Raloch. Maybe you've heard of him.

: Sorry, I've only just arrived on this world.

: Nalen Raloch. Our dueling champion for nine years straight. He once rescued an entire scouting party from Flesh Raiders, single-handed. He planned our defenses. Protects us when we go foraging. Nalen Raloch eats tin and spits nails. Nalen Raloch doesn't sleep, he waits. Nalen Raloch doesn't get frostbite, he bites frost. Nalen Raloch doesn't wear a watch, he decides what time it is. Nalen Raloch counted to infinity- twice. Nalen Raloch...

SOME TIME LATER

: ...another fist. And Nalen Raloch can lead a horse to water and make it drink too. So, no, I'm not telling you where he is. Nalen earns his peace and quiet.

That blue glow and pop-up star indicates we've made a light side decision, by playing the “concerned” card. Alternatively we could have tried bribery (also light side) or threats (dark side).

: Nalen can take care of himself.

: Against Flesh Raiders, sure. But some of that Jedi tech is weird.

: Okay, fine. Nalen went into the Flesh Raiders' territory. He's probably still there, he's been gone a while.

: Then I should look for him. Enjoy your festival.

: I think Nalen's got a camp out there. If you see him, tell him to be back for the feast.

: Flesh Raider territory... seems like the whole planet is Flesh Raider territory.

: This... this does not look like a happy place.

NEXT TIME: A starving orphan child brings a tear to our eye.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Rebuilding the Jedi Order posted:

In the aftermath of the Sacking of Coruscant and the establishment of peace with the Empire, the fate of the Jedi Order was uncertain. With their temple looted and in ruins and relations with the Republic government at a new low, the Jedi left the Republic capital to establish a new temple on the rediscovered world of Tython–the homeworld of the first Jedi. By returning to their ancestral home, the Jedi hoped to reconnect with the beliefs and ideals of those who founded the order twenty millennia ago. They sought to reclaim forgotten knowledge and wisdom left behind by ancient Masters, scouring the planet for holocrons and Jedi artifacts to replace those that had been lost during the destruction of the temple on Coruscant. They began training a new generation of students and began to mend relations with those who blamed the Jedi for the destruction of the war. On Tython, many young Jedi believe they have rediscovered the original purpose of their order: to stand firm against the servants of the dark side. Removed from the machinations and concessions of politicians and bureaucrats, the Jedi have once again become beacons in the eternal struggle between light and dark.

Twi'lek Pilgrims posted:

Tython is home to a small settlement of Twi’lek Pilgrims united by their belief in a humble lifestyle and the authority of their Matriarchs. Although their numbers are few, the Pilgrim movement goes back almost two decades–and until their recent arrival on Tython, they had never possessed a permanent home, nor escaped persecution. The founding Pilgrim Matriarch gained her followers while serving at a refugee settlement catering to escapees from Ryloth–the enslaved Twi’lek homeworld. The refugees listened to the Matriarch’s stories about a set of ancient texts she had discovered on an alien world, which urged simplicity, devotion to family and faith in a spiritual mother. But while some Twi’leks gladly joined the Matriarch, others saw her as a cult leader taking advantage of the desperate. The Pilgrims left the settlement and traveled to one Twi’lek settlement after another, gaining in numbers but always driven off. Fleeing into hyperspace after years of wandering, the Pilgrims at last arrived on Tython. The Jedi, only recently arrived themselves, were astonished that the Pilgrims could stumble upon the secret Jedi homeworld so easily; the Matriarch saw the Pilgrims’ discovery of an inhabitable planet as destiny. Since then, the Pilgrims have done everything possible to make a permanent home of Tython, building their community and creating new traditions. Whether the movement will survive in the face of the Flesh Raider danger is an open question.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 18, 2013