Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Tython Update 5: Attack of the Side Quests

Recording Begins

On making it back to the village, the first thing I did was trudge over to Tazonthe and tell him about the death of his father.

: Jedi, you're back. What happened out there? Where is my father?

: I have him right here--what's left of him.

: This is what's left? His body? His ring? Those monsters! Tell me you cut them to pieces for what they did.

: Of course. I killed them all; it was what had to happen.

: I am glad some Jedi are willing to take a stand. Some of you understand that not all creatures deserve to live. I wanted my father back. I didn't really believe it would happen. But at least you went out there for a reason. At least you spilled blood.

With that gruesome job out of the way, I moved on towards the Matriarchs home, only to be intercepted by Vederiat who wished to thank me for my help in destroying the Flesh raiders booze elixir stockpiles.

: You look well, Jedi. I'm glad the Flesh Raiders didn't hurt you. Did you destroy the dark elixir?

: Odumis tried to bribe me to leave the elixir intact. But--yes, I destroyed it.

: Odumis wanted the elixir for himself, I suppose? You needn't tell me--I can guess. His encounter with the Flesh Raiders addled his mind. I will attend to him. In the meantime thank you.

With those distractions out of the way, I finally made it to the Matriarchs home, inside was Master Orgus, Ranna and a strange Twi'Lek arguing loudly with both of them.

: She died in my arms. You should've seen what those filth did to her.

: I'm sorry, Saylew. We all share your loss.

: for every one of us the Flesh Raiders butcher, we should kill ten! No, a hundred!

: Will that restore your loved one to life?

: Don't lecture me, Jedi. My wife is dead! Our people slaughtered! Where were you then?

: I sabotaged the Flesh Raiders' weapons. They'll pay for what they've done.

: Sabotage? It's not enough. It'll never be enough. The Flesh Raiders won't stop until we're all dead. Are you going to let that happen?

: I won't quit until the Flesh Raiders are defeated. That's a promise.

: We'll see what a Jedi's promise is worth.

: I hope you can fulfil that pledge. I fear he won't take disappointment well. People wonder why Jedi are forbidden to marry or have families. They don't see how attachments always lead to suffering. Passionate emotions can destroy a person--and Jedi destroyed by passion become something terrible.

: T7=Salutes Master Orgus // T7 reconnaissance report= ready for delivery

: This thing's been a pain in my neck since the Flesh Raider camp.

: One of our long ranged probe--I thought we'd lost all of them.

: T7's holorecording=enemies of the Jedi // T7= play back for Master Orgus.

: While I deal with the Droid, talk to Ranna. I think her people are ready to help us, thanks to you.

: One of our scouts watched from a distance while you invaded the Flesh Raider camp. He said you defeated many of them. Your heroism gives me hope that we'll survive this.

: I did as you asked--for information, nothing more.

: Of course. And I will honour that bargain.

Scouts report that the Flesh Raider forces are gathering in strength. They already control the mountains around us, and now they are invading the Ruins of Kaleth. My men spotted them at the remains of an ancient shrine-- close to your Jedi Temple.

: Kaleth was a great city of Force users, its ruins still hold powers we don't understand.

The Flesh Raiders are looking for something there.

: We can't let them find it. Drive back those Flesh Raiders immediately. I have to take this droid back to the council. That hooded figure in the holo--I know his voice. The situation is worse than I thought. Do whatever it takes to push the Flesh Raiders out of Kaleth. I'll send reinforcements as soon as possible.

: You aren't going to tell me what's happening?

: Take too long. Just be aware that Kaleth is a place of great danger. If you see the hooded figure from the holo, do not engage him. Now get going.

Given that the fate of the Jedi Order was at stake, Master Orgus proved willing to put his hand in his pocket and actually pay for a speeder back to the Jedi Temple. Once there my old friend with the war droids stopped me.

: Hey Padawan, got a minute?

: Can't stop, Flesh Raider invasion to thwart.

: Come on it won't take long

: Fine, but when the Flesh Raiders are nibbling on your left leg don't blame me.

: That was an impressive go earlier, but we've upped the programming on those droids. Care to give it another shot? Get out there and show them what you're made of.

5 seconds later

: Good work out there. We're going to have to get you a real challenge next time.

With that complete. I had to hike out to the Jedi archaeological site in Kaleth. While crossing over the river I came across two Jedi Masters having an... energetic discussion.

: I seem to be cursed. Why do I always seem to get the pupils who think they're the exceptions to the rule?

: Master Silvarte, it's true that our Padawans are acting a bit strangely, but I don't think there is cause for concern.

: Wait, I have an idea. You Padawan, I know you.

: I'm sorry master are you talking to me?

: Yes. It's usually what I do when I wish an audience with someone.

: Master Silvarte is concerned about a couple of our Padawans. He suspects that they're well...

: Rocking the Casbah? Making the beast with two backs? Playing hide the sausage? Dancing the horizontal mamba? *continues for several minutes* discussing Uganda?

: Yes, that.

: If I am correct, they are following their passions down a dark path.

: Am I to understand that love leads to the dark side?

: Emotions disrupt balance. When you hold one person in higher regard than others, it clouds clarity and twists reason. We mustn't stand by.

: In all other aspects, these two are model pupils. But I agree we would be remiss if we didn't do what we can to settle the issue.

: They may be more open and revealing with a fellow student like you. We need you to confront them and discover if they are indeed cultivating a romance.

: I'm basically to become a glorified snoop, then.

: You are helping the order to root out the seeds of darkness. There is no task more important.

: There names are Moracen and Spanios. As we speak, they are in the ruins of Lower Kaleth.

: So go, talk with them and report back what you discover about their relationship. Try not to alert or alarm them, if they are in love, they are sure to be volatile.

: Wait, one question, So Jedi are not supposed to have any emotions right, but won't encouraging them to bottle up their emotions only make them more potent when they finally erupt? Won't that make them more likely to turn to the dark side?

it has been known to happen on a few occasions.

: how many?

: only in about 47% of all Jedi... But we usually put them down before they go kill crazy.

So, with my new mission to snitch on my fellow students, I set off towards Lower Kaleth, on the way I encountered yet another distraction. Wasn't there one competent Jedi on the whole planet who could solve their own drat problems?

: Master Orgus's new apprentice, wow. Everyone says you're great with a vibroblade. I'm Fia--er, Padawan Fia. Still having to get used to having a title. I've just started learning about the Force. I've got a long way to go before I'm as good as you.

: I won't deny it.

: I thought Jedi were supposed to be humble. Or maybe that's only for beginners like me. I still can't believe I'm here. Just last week, I was crewing a garbage scow on Raxus Prime. Then this scary looking Jedi shows up out of nowhere and says he can sense the Force in me. What are the odds?

: There's no such thing as luck, Padawan. You're meant to be here.

: Say, do you know Master Till'in? He's the one who discovered me. I'm trying to get a message to him. Master Till'in is studying a big mystery in Kaleth's ruins. Something about ancient droids attacking people? If you're headed to the ruins, would you give him this holorecording from me? I'd be so grateful.

: This isn't a job for a Jedi like me.

: Wait, I don't expect you to do it for nothing. I'm good with gadgets. I'll build you something useful.

: We have an understanding then.

: Terrific, I'll get to work on it right away and send it to you soon. Here's the holorecording. Master Till'in has a small camp outside the ruins of Kaleth. Thanks for doing this.

*Several Flesh Raider ambushes later *

Once in the dingy little camp I went straight over to Master Till'in to deliver the message.

: Welcome, Padawan to Orgus Din. Your Master speaks highly of your potential.

: Good thing they're aren't children around--you'd scare them to death.

: Children are never frightened of me--or perhaps they're simply more polite than adults. Let's see what you've brought me... ah yes. Fia. The poor girl is still apologizing for shooting me on Raxus Prime. I forget how violently some humans react on first meeting my species. I don't understand why they all seem to shoot first before asking questions.

: Who knows why humans do anything?

: Now, now. Let us embrace tolerance. Not all beings are as enlightened as we are. It-was kind of you to deliver this holorecording, though I should gently instruct Padawan Fia to stop interrupting my work. Speaking of which... Here, examine this droids cognitive unit I recovered form the ruins. Twenty-thousand years old, yet still functional. Our forebears built things to last,

: What happened to the rest of the droids parts?

: Regrettably, I was forced to dismantle it with my lightsaber. The ruins of Lower Kaleth are filled with droids constructed during Tython's original colonization by the galaxies first Force users. We don't know the Tythonian droids' purpose--only that they attack anyone who enters the ruins. My mission is to learn why.

: I'll leave you to it then.

: Wait, please. These droids are growing increasingly lethal. I could use your assistance in dealing with them. It's been millennia since the Tythonian droids were memory wiped. Their programming lies buried among trillions of accumulated databits. I've constructed a scanner to analyse the droids' cognitive units for command protocols, but I need several samples to sort through the static.

: You want me to do this?

: Your master has great confidence in your abilities, as do I. This task won't be simple but I know you'll succeed. Take this scanner, when you encounter Tythonian droids in Lower Kaleth disable them and scan the remains. Bring the scanner back to me when its memory is full, so that I can analyse the data. Good luck.

It was just one more drat job distracting me from dealing with the Flesh Raiders, Still at least I could move on now to deal with the Flesh Raider shrine....

: Damnit!

: You found it! Well done, Moracen!

: Oh, Spanios, I couldn't have done it without you.

: You're amazing. I don't care what the Masters say--we're proving everyone wrong. Come here and give me a kiss...

: Go ahead, plant one on him. I would--he's cute.

: Who are you?

: This isn't what you think it is.

: Unless you're practising for an all-star role in the Jedi production of R0-M0 and Juli'ette. It probably is.

: You have nothing to worry about I'm a friend.

: Oh really?

: You say you're a friend--does that mean your not here to blow the whistle on our romance.

: Spanios, you just confirmed the truth to this person,

: I am sorry, my love, but I'm sick of all this hiding. The order is wrong. Fear, not emotion, is the adversary of the Jedi way. Ironically the Masters fear emotion, and therefore deny us its bounty.

: The power of our love is why we work so well together. Our teamwork allowed us to find this rare lightsaber crystal. So our passion actually strengthens the order.

: Let's ask your masters about that. I think they'll be hard to convince.

: Spanios, please help me convince this upstart not to expose us!

: I love you, Moracen. And so if you believe we must remain hidden. I honor that. But it may take a sacrifice.

: You mean the crystal, I agree, my love.

: Friend, if you tell the masters we're not romantically involved, we'll give you this powerful crystal for your future lightsaber. Would that buy your silence?

: That sounds pretty good to me, but I'm not sure I can trust you.

: Don't fear. I will keep my word. If you tell the Masters you found nothing suspicious here, come back to us, and we'll give you the crystal.

: Don't try to fool us; we will know if you do.

*A short hike and some flesh raider ambushes later*

: We're you successful, Padawan? Did you find our pupils in the ruins?

: Tell us, what did you uncover about the nature of Spanios and Moracen's relationship? Are they romantically involved?

: I discovered that there is no romance between them, Masters.

: You see Master Silvarte, your concerns were for naught.

: I am relieved to hear this. Surprised, but most relieved. You have handled this matter with great character. The order is fortunate to have you in the fold.

: I'm glad you think so, Master. Your praise means so much to me.

: Now that you've befriended them, you might check in on our students. Otherwise, good luck with your training.

*Another short hike and some more flesh raider ambushes later*

: Well our blackmailer returns. Back for the crystal no doubt. Thank you for keeping our secret.

: Just hand it over and we can be done with this,

: Bloodsucker.

: You got what you wanted, my sweet. It's a small price to pay. Don't mind her, good luck to you.

: Hold on to that lady, Spanios. She's a keeper.

: I sure think so. Here is the crystal. Goodbye, friend.

: One last thing, did either of you hear a flesh raider baby crying?

+ : Nope, not a thing

: Good, neither did I.

End Recording

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 21, 2013