Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Tython Update 6: Use the Forks

Begin Recording

So, there I was with all the distractions dealt with. All I had to do was fight my way through some old war droids to an old Jedi shrine and clear out a nest of Flesh Raiders. Seemed simple enough, right? Wrong.

Well the droid fighting part was simple enough...

Codex Entry

SWTOR Codex posted:

Tythonian War Droid

The Ruins of Kaleth are overrun with various squads of ancient-and hostile-war droids. A deadly remnant of Tython's mysterious past, the original purpose of these droids has been lost in the mists of time. Some speculate that they were once guardians, programmed to protect the powerful secrets of Tython's original Jedi inhabitants. Others believe the droids were used for combat training by the order shortly after the creation of the proto-lightsaber. A more sinister theory suggests that the droids were somehow involved in the destruction of Kaleth itself. Whatever the explanation, one factor is not in dispute; the droids will attack any living creature that dares to enter the territory they still fiercely control.

And I soon hacked a path through them to the shrine. It took me longer to scan them for Master Till'in than to kill them in the first place.

Inside were small groups of Flesh Raiders, unusually they were all armed with Jedi training sabres; Instead of the usual mish-mash of technology I had seen so far. They we're no great challenge though and I quickly fought my way through the tunnel.

I emerged into a secluded little valley, which was absolutely filled with Flesh Raiders. I quickly fought my way to the Jedi Shrine.

The shrine itself was nothing special, A half decayed statue of some long forgotten Jedi Master; In front of it though stood the largest Flesh Raider I had ever seen.

: Jeehd-ay...

: Step a little closer, you hideous freak.

: Heh...

I was hit by a wave of force power that knocked me flat on my arse, and the worst thing was it originated from the Flesh Raider!

: Kill Jeehd-ay...

*20 seconds later*

Fortunately, for all its power with the force, neither the Force using Flesh Raider or his minions could match me with a blade.

Finally, my Jedi reinforcements turned up, late as usual.

: Master Orgus sent us, we came as quickly as we could.

: One of the Flesh Raiders I just fought called me "Jedi." He could use the Force.

: That's troubling. If the Flesh Raiders are learning the ways of the Force, it won't be on the side of the light.

: You sure made short work of this bunch. You ever leave survivors?

: Fighting the same enemy twice gets boring.

: Pretty sure that's not in the Jedi Code.

: This Flesh Raider carried a holocron-- A repository of knowledge created by a Force user. Thousands of years old, from the looks of it. Master Orgus was right. These natives are more advanced than we realized. They're learning how to fight us.

: Master Orgus thinks he knows who's behind it.

: I gathered as much, but he had no time to explain before sending us here. I wish we could stay, see this through--but Master Satele has ordered us to Coruscant on a special mission.

: All those bad feelings the council's been having? She thinks the Republic's capital is the source.

: I'm sorry to have to leave you, but the danger is passed. These surveillance monitors will keep watch on Kaleth. Place them around the Ruins. The temple can then monitor any future incursions by our enemies.

: What are we prepared to do if the Flesh Raiders return?

: The temple's guards will respond to any invasion--and these surveillance devices will give us ample warning. May the Force be with you, Padawan.

Codex Entry

SWTOR Codex posted:

Holocron

Holographic chronicles-more commonly called "Holocrons"--are sophisticated data storage devices capable of cataloguing vast amounts of complex information within their crystal lattice structure. Frequently used by both the Jedi and the Sith to preserve the wisdom of ancient Masters and Sith Lords, holocrons can only be accessed by Force-sensitive individuals. Some are "merely" repositories of incredible lore, while other possess virtual personalities of their own, modelled after their creators.

Many believe it was actually the Sith who first developed Holocron technology, as the oldest known examples are all relics of the dark side. Interestingly, Jedi holocrons take the form of a glowing cube, while Sith holocrons are usually pyramid-shaped. Some scholars claim the six-sided cube of the Jedi represents a more a more modern and advanced version of the original four- and five sided pyramids favoured by the Sith, though hard evidence for this remains scarce.

So, off I went, traipsing round Kaleth and planting bugs as I went.

Then, I got another holocall from Master Orgus

: I'm here, master. What is it?

: I'm on my way back to the Twi'lek settlement. Meet me there soon as you can.

: I've been surviving the Ruins of Kaleth, thanks for asking.

: If I didn't think you could handle it, I wouldn't have sent you there. Find me at the Matriarch's compound. Orgus out.

One short walk to the Jedi archaeological camp in Lower Kaleth later

: My scanner's memory is already full? Perfect timing. I'll collate your data with my own readings and analyse them together. Hmm... it seems the droids were indeed built for war. Twenty thousand years later, they still pursue their primary function. How sad. These ancient droids were soldiers in Tython's great Force Wars-- a time before there were Jedi, Sith or even a Republic.

: I've never heard of these "Force Wars"

: It was the first conflict between Force users--a horrific battle between light and darkness that lasted for a hundred years. According to the droid logs, Kaleth was a stronghold of the dark side's forces. They made their last stand here. As they died, the dark siders activated the droids as a doomsday weapon-- hoping to ensure the lightside's destruction as well.

: You'll have to deal with this yourself now.

: I'll consult the Jedi Council at once about this. You've been extraordinarily helpful. By your efforts, we see Kaleth in a fresh light. I will commend you to the council. I've delayed you long enough. I know how important the work you and Orgus do is. Give him my best.

A quick shuttle flight to the pilgrim village later

Inside was Master Orgus fiddling with the drat droid I had found in the Flesh Raider cache.

: Master Kiwiiks told me what you found in Kaleth-- A Flesh Raider who used the Force. She thought he was learning things from an old Holocron. I wish that was true. The man who attacked you when you first arrived? His lightsaber had a familiar aspect. The droids holorecording confirmed my suspicions.

: T7 = Sorry for bringing bad news.

: The hooded figure in that recording is Bengel Morr, he was my Padawan--but he never finished his training. Bengel was in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant when the Sith destroyed it.

: The Force was with him if he got out of their alive.

: The Temple was annihilated. Hundreds of Jedi died that day. We never recovered all the bodies. Bengel was strong in the Force, and the most gentle being I have ever known. For him to have turned against the Jedi... he must be stopped.You don't look particularly shocked.

: Bioware spoilered it in the subtitles two updates ago.

: Apologies for keeping you waiting. Our peoples Matriarch--my mother is dying.

: You should be at her side.

: My mother said my work with you must come first. My scouts have discovered a Flesh Raider command base in the mountains. It's protected by an energy shield. The shields power generator is hidden on a different mountain, in a well guarded cave network.

: That command base is probably coordinating all the attacks in the region. I need to get inside there. You up for knocking out the power generator?

: When have I ever let you down?

: First time for everything--not that I'm worried.

:: Important secondary mission = perform high-level scan of enemy forces// mountain paths = too dangerous for T7

: Hmm, see if you can give the droid an opening to gather more intelligence.

:: T7 = Give Jedi head start // Follow when path is clear.

: That energy shield is your top priority. Knock it out as fast as you can.

So off I went in search of a mountain full of Flesh raiders to puree until I found the generator they were guarding. Sounded easy, but after that Flesh Raider Force user I needed to be prepared for everything. I was so absorbed in my thoughts that I was shocked when a middle-aged Twi'lek woman dragged me into her house.

: Jedi! You came! I was afraid--I didn't think you'd make it. You have to be fast. You have to find my son before he's hurt!

: Oh, I have to, do I? Watch your tongue.

: Haven't you come to save him? I begged at the temple gates for you. The Flesh Raiders took him a week ago. They came at twilight. One of them was just... covered in blood and scars. He dragged my son away. Listen. Our scouts saw Viyo--my son on Tythos Ridge. That's where the raider's have their camp.

: I refuse to get involved in this. Is everyone on this planet a moron? Can no one solve their own drat problems without crying to the nearest Jedi about it? Miss Jedi my space cat is stuck in a tree can you get it down? Miss Jedi I need half a dozen droid AI's can you get em for me? Miss Jedi old Master Jaspers needs a sponge bath can you help? I've had enough!

: You can't mean that. You have to help him--before the worst happens.

: *sigh* I can't commit to this, but I'll see what I can do.

: You're a good Jedi, Good and kind. If you can't find him on Tythos Ridge, look for a sign--something he would leave behind as a signal. He had his satchel with him, He could leave that. The Flesh Raiders will try to stop you-- but I've seen Jedi fight. Help me, Jedi. Help him.

So, I set off for the foot of the mountains, only to be stopped on the way by another Jedi Master with a problem

: I can't do it, I don't want to do it, and you can't make me do it.

: I've been studying the Flesh Raiders with Master Gehnso. We hope to elucidate the creature's culture and learn what drives their hunger. Pilgrim stories claim the Flesh Raiders twisted appetite stems from the idols they worship. We've confirmed the idols existence, but questions remain. What do these idols represent? Do they motivate the Flesh Raider's cravings? We need answers, and that means examining the idols up close--a dangerous task.

: *sarcasm* A Jedi's limits must always be put to the test.

: We share similar tastes. But our duty to these Pilgrims demands caution. Mark down every detail about the idols; size, temperature markings-- everything. Look on them, and know the Flesh Raider heart. When you're finished, I'll take your findings, or you may hand them over to Master Gehnso. You'll find here near the Jedi Temple.

That done, off I went up the mountain, with two more jobs to complete for lazy idiots who could not be bothered to solve their own problems.

End Recording

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 23, 2013