Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Tython Update 7: Force Pushing for Fun and Profit.

Begin Recording

So there I was, traipsing up the mountain, fighting Flesh Raiders blah, blah, blah, you should know the drill by now. About halfway up though I came across a still functioning datapad buried in a pile of mouldering bones.

: My... my dear Bahlea... these will probably be the last words I have to say to you. And I don't have long.... I was a fool, Bahlea... as always... I shouldn't have come hunting alone, I knew that. But our little Rusa is so sick. And the doctor said... that the teeth of the Manka cats could make medicine. Cure her. I tried... I tried to get the teeth for Rusa... but the Flesh Raiders train the cats to be vicious. So horrible. I'm sorry, my love...and so tired. I must sleep to gather my strength... in case the Manka cats come back. I'll bring their teeth home. Somehow...

: Eh, might as well, it's not as if every living person on the planet doesn't make me do their dirty work for them. I may as well do the work of the dead too.

: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty

*20 minutes later*

: drat it! Why does none of the cats on this Force-forsaken planet have any teeth?

A little further, along the track I came upon an abandoned pack, I approached it and began rooting through it looking for clues. As I did, a young Twi'Lek stepped out of the shadows followed by a scrawny looking Flesh Raider.

: Jedi...? Thank the Matriarch

: Hsst! Jedi talk. Jedi peace!

: He... he wants to speak to you. He's too weak to fight.

: Jedi--Jedi Peace!

: He needed someone to help him communicate. That's why he took me away--why he's letting us meet. I've been trying to teach him your language.

:Leave this to the adults, boy.

: Head-thing talk! Head-thing, learn power.

: I'm trying! Please, I'm trying. He thinks he has power. He thinks he can use the Force, and he wants Jedi to train him.

:I get the sense we're wasting our time.

: Talk power! Talk Rock-Den!

: Please listen! He's calm now; he'll be calm as long as we talk. The Other Flesh Raiders serve him because they fear his curse, but the force overwhelms him. He needs to learn from the Jedi to control his power, He's weak.

:Does he even understand what he's asking? What Jedi training involves?

: I'm not sure. He thinks the Jedi are hunters.

: Take power! Hunt power! Go rock-den...head thing flesh.

: He won't let me go unless you help him get into the Jedi Temple. You can do that, right? Get the Jedi Masters to train him?

:Letting a force using Flesh Raider live is too dangerous.

: But--

: Hsst! Jedi!

FORCE PUSH

: I am... you... Thank you. I am I am grateful that you came to me.

:Get back to your mother, Kid.

: I can find my way to the village. After what you did... and without him watching me... I can make it on my own. More Flesh Raiders will be coming. Be careful.

With that out the way, it was time to catalogue the Flesh Raiders beliefs.

: Ooh look, a boring statue! And there's another one.

: Eh, if I cared about this crap, I would have put in for Consular training.

: And, that is the last of them, thank the Force. Now on to the cave.

So I killed off the Flesh raiders in the cave. By this point, I had lost count of how many I had killed but there couldn't be that many more left could there? As it turned out it looked like another Jedi had beaten me to the fun, so I had an uneventful stroll through the cave.

Eventually at the very back of the cave, I came across the controls for the generator systems.

Energy Shield Control Console: [you shut down the energy shield protecting the Flesh Raider command base.]

Shutting down the generator caused a holocom to flicker to life.

: Hmm, you must be the Padawan who slaughters my people. Your misguided attacks change nothing your time is over.

:So that's your face? I see why you wear a hood, Bengel.

: Orgus's tastes in Padawans has grown weak--just as he has. You executed my apprentice Callef, I can feel his death on you. I spent years training him. He was a good man, a principled man. Proud of yourself?

:Without a doubt.

: You are truly corrupt--but justice is coming. Every so-called Jedi on Tython is going to die. That's a promise. Your entire order is weak. You've done nothing to stop the Sith Empires advances.

: I think someone's a little bitter about being left for dead. I'm going to wipe out the Sith just watch m

: Destroying evil will require purity. You are not pure. Enjoy this little victory, Its your last.

One shuttle flight back to the Twi'lek village later.

:I've studied the Flesh Raiders' idols. Here are my notes.

: Hmm, these idols appear to record the Flesh Raiders' hunting patterns. Master Gehnso will be ecstatic. With more research into your findings, we may finally learn what motivates the Flesh Raider. Through knowledge, we may calm their appetite. I will spread the word amongst the pilgrims, Padawan. May the Force guide your training.

With that out of the way, I decided to check on how one-half of the best double act since the adventures of Jolune and Skully was doing.

Apparently, the kid did not want to talk to me for some reason, but his mum was quite willing to chat.

: Jedi. You found my Son. Thank you. He told me what you did. He's safe now, and i am glad his kidnapper is dead.

:I did what I thought was best.

: That Flesh Raider won't harm us again. It's enough. You have my promise: Whenever the elders speak about the Jedi, I'll speak, too. My son will speak. This is our thanks.

:Be careful--your kid won't be so lucky next time.

: I understand. So long as the Flesh Raiders are near, I'll keep my son close. We wish you well, Jedi. Goodbye and all the best to you.

With that out of the way, all that remained was to finish my job as a veterinary dentist.

: Oh, Hello. You must be one of the Jedi. My name is Bahela, how do you do. I don't mean to be rude, but I'd rather not talk for long. My daughter is very sick, and I'm all she has since my husband died.

:How did you know your husband was dead?

: A hunting dog wandered into camp with... I don't want to share the details. Now if you'll-- Are those Manka cat teeth? You brought these for my daughter? These will cure her... I... I'm overwhelmed. I don't know what to say.

:How about "thank you"?

: I...you should be rewarded for this. Yes, uh... wait, I know. Yes, you should have this, it was my husbands, it served him well, and now that you have saved my daughters life...I hope it serves you well also. Thank you so much, I've... I've got to tell the doctor right away so that he can make Rusa's medicine.

SWTOR Codex posted:

Manka Cat

Fierce feline hunters, manka cats, are believed to originate on Alderaan, but can now be found on a number of different worlds due to their desirability as exotic pets or trained guardians. It is no surprise that these accomplished hunters have thrived in every ecosystem into which they have been introduced. Sleek and powerful, they have the speed to run down smaller prey, while their massive protruding tusks and claws also allow them to attack much larger targets. Often travelling in prides, even a lone manka cat can be dangerous, and extreme caution should be exercised when in their territory. Despite the risks, manka cats are sometimes hunted for sport and for their tusks and teeth. Which are said to possess healing properties.

Now it was time to go back to the Matriarch's compound to meet with the Twi'lek leader.

:I shut down the energy shield. Any word on Master Orgus's mission?

: No, My mother... she found peace during your absence. I'm now Matriarch.

:As long as you cooperate, I have no problem with your new position.

: How can you be so cold? Are only Masters allowed to express warmth and comfort? Before he left Master Orgus told me "there is no death, there is the Force" He believes our essence lives on when we die and merges with the Force. I hope that's true.

: Matriarch! Flesh Raiders broke through our defences. They did something to our crop fields! They dropped strange machines in the soil. When a scout approached one, he collapsed with a sickness. He crawled away from the device and began to recover but there are many more machines still out there.

:I've never heard of anything like this before.

: If those machines can poison us, they can destroy our crops as well. Please help us Jedi are strong, You can resist the machines and destroy them.

:I hope this turns out to be the case.

: If I've learned anything, it's that Jedi succeed where others fail. Hurry to the fields I fear we don't have much time.

Hmm. looks like a modified ME3-3ND mine, now was it the red wire? The green wire? Or the blue wire? I'll just pull one randomly and see what I get.

*Pulls blue wire, Nothing happens*

:Hmm, maybe if I had pulled the Green or Red wire something more interesting would have happened.

several other mines disarmed later

:I've destroyed the machines poisoning your crops.

: I saw how you suffered out there. What you did was more than brave-- it was heroic. Please take a token of my people's honour. I'm sorry it can't be more.

:I'm sure I'll find a use for it, somehow.

: We're not wealthy, but my people give all they can. I should go inform everyone that the danger is over.

At this point, my holocom began to beep; It was another message from Master Orgus.

: Finally put that Flesh Raider base out of commission. How are things on your end?

:Spoke to you old Padawan over the holo. He's doing all of this so he can destroy the Sith.

: Then he's not Sith himself--good. If I can get to him, reason with him... At the Flesh Raider command base, I found coordinates to a number of secret camps-- too many to send only Jedi Masters. One camp is in the ruins of upper Kaleth. That patrol you fought earlier was based there. Now's your chance to finish them off.

:What if I run into your old Padawan?

: If you see Bengel, retreat and contact me immediately. Be careful in those ruins. We haven't explored them all. Contact me when your mission is complete, May the Force be with you.

End Recording

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 24, 2013