Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #009
Stardate: First day of my latest stop on Coruscant

After all that death-defying heroism, I still ended up having to hitch a ride to the right docking bay to meet up with Corso.

My whole trip on the Esseles feels like some kind of dream – I step on a ship at Carrick station looking to make it to Coruscant and get even with Skavak, I arrive as planned, and in-between I gun down a platoon of Imperial soldiers with three of the craziest ladies I've ever laid eyes on. I can forgive Corso for not believing me, it sounds like some nutty spacer's story. I hardly believe it myself.

Still, those three girls I was working with were something else. Todessa's a walking tank. I knew officers like her back in the army, and I can tell you for sure I'd be dead two weeks into her command from either enemy action or wise-cracking. Hell of a card-player though, it's probably her freaky poker-face.

R'andayn's a mean little ball of aggression. The Jedi must be hurting worse than I thought if they're handing out sabers to nutcases like her. I should just be relieved she enjoys beating on Imperials and Sith enough to stay on our side. Still, if we ever run into each other again I should ease off in case she uses that saber of hers to give me a shave from the neck up.

At least Jolune was there to balance things out. Way closer to what you think of when someone says Jedi. Kind of cute, too, in a book-reading sort of way. Too bad about the haircut, but hey, she's blind, I can cut her some slack. I wonder if...

Wasn't I writing about something else? Oh right, Coruscant.

First things first, I had to get past customs. Quinine “Browncoat” might not have any cargo, but my Republic ID was still keyed to a certain notorious blockade-runner. Good thing I carry a spare...

Recommended for actual, honest to God smuggling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDXRqYErkE

quote:

Customs Droid: Error // Identification protocols + past cargo logs = contradictory // Request = please hold for customs enforcement agent!

A few crossed wires, aaaaand...

quote:

Customs Droid: Identification protocol = accepted! // Coruscant Security + Customs Enforcement Division = welcomes you, Admiral Numinn! // Request = have a pleasant stay!

I'm always a little happier any day the Admiral Numinn I.D. still works. Hope the old guy's doing well.

quote:

Corso: Everything on Coruscant is huge. You see those city towers as we flew in? How many people you figure live in those? Millions?

Quinine: Looks like some of the city towers lost a few levels.

Corso: Heard the Sith Empire hit this planet pretty hard. Even knocked the Jedi Temple off its pedastal.

It's true. Every time I've been to Coruscant, the place has still looked as scarred and beat up as ever, and the sack was years ago. If you ever needed a clear sign we're losing the war with the Empire, it's that.

quote:

Quinine: We'll just rattle some skulls until Skavak falls out.

Corso: Wouldn't mind getting some practice with Sparky here, but I know a faster way.

Corso: There's a gambler named Darmas Pollaran who keeps tabs on everything worth knowing about Coruscant. Good man. You'll like him.

Can't say I've got any better leads, my contacts on Coruscant had run off years ago.

quote:

Corso: Viidu always said if you look for a sabaac table surrounded by beautiful women, you'll find Darmas, but I can narrow that down.

Corso: I still have Viidu's holofrequency contacts, and Darmas is one of them. Give me a second, and we'll talk to the man himself...

quote:

Corso: A friend and I are in a real bind. Is there a place we can meet you?

Darmas: Of course. Come to my private cantina booth. I'm here now, winning my tenth hand of sabaac against a very persistent Rodian.

Darmas: Hope you don't mind the occasional blaster fire, the cantina's in a rowdy part of Coruscant.

Quinine: I just came from a warzone, I'm used to blaster fire.

If we're walking blind into one of Coruscant's “rowdy” parts, better we start building a reputation now.

quote:

Corso: Keep your comlink channel open, Darmas. I've got some bad news about Viidu.

Corso: I'll bring Darmas up to speed while we travel, Captain.

Quinine: Don't tell Darmas anything he doesn't need to know.

Corso: You got it.

Maybe all my recent experience with getting stabbed in the back has made me jumpy, but I'd like to meet this friend of Viidu's first before I go trusting him. Viidu had a bad track record for judging character.

We weren't even out of the space-port when someone flagged us down. Looked like a politician. I tried to get past him, but he was clearly looking for me.

quote:

Anitol Rosspar: I admire anyone who charges into an active volcano full of separatists and comes back alive.

Quinine: Technically I didn't know it was active until I blasted in there. Not that it mattered.

Anitol Rosspar: My point is, you have a talent for beating the odds. People respect that.

quote:

Anitol Rosspar: Senator Kayl leads the effort to rebuild what was destroyed during the Sith Empire's invasion. Healing those old wounds has been slow and painful.

Yup, definitely a politician. Wonder how many saps he's given that spiel to?

quote:

Quinine: You're here collecting credits for the reconstruction, is that it?

Anitol Rosspar: A person of your skills can provide more substantial aid.

Anitol Rosspar: This world faces many crises: a shattered infrastructure, a booming refugee population... whole sectors descending into anarchy. All of these hinder the rebuilding.

Anitol Rosspar: Senator Kayl believes you're specially qualified to deal with a dangerous and urgent threat. She'd appreciate the favor of a meeting – immediately.

Now that came as a surprise. Meeting a Senator? I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. They're the heavy-hitters of the Republic government, and more importantly they've got a lot of credits to hire people for “urgent threats”. It sounded like trouble, but if I'm going to afford playing at Darmas's table I'll probably need at least a few creds.

quote:

Anitol Rosspar: My time is the senator's time – and I never wait for long.

Anitol Rosspar: Senator Kayl is the greatest leader we've had in decades. She'll not only rebuild this world, but the rest of the Republic with it.

Geeze, you break one rebellion and save an ambassador from the Butcher of Coruscant and suddenly everyone can't keep their hands off you.

Finally we get out of the space-port and set our eyes on the crown jewel of the Republic. Coruscant. Corso said it had a way of making you feel small, but I never saw it like that. Coruscant's the Republic on a small scale. You've got people from every planet, all in one place. It's beautiful, or at least it should be.

Anitol had been happy to chat up my accomplishments as “one of the Republic's finest,” but there was one word missing from his speech – smuggling.

I'm a smuggler, or at least I was. Moving goods around the galaxy and getting paid for my trouble, seeing the Republic and maybe pitching in here or there. Now I'm meeting senators and fighting alongside Jedi, I'm fighting off more Imperials than I've ever seen before – and I'm not even getting paid for it (thanks, Jolune). Am I really just going to find Skavak, throw him off the Senate tower, and go back to shipping freight?

It's not just that, though. I look around Coruscant and I see scars that haven't been fixed in years, if they ever will be. I look back on Ord Mantell and see that a win there just means the Republic holds on for another day. All my life the Republic's seen winning as surviving, as losing just a little less ground than we were going to. Even on the Esseles, we had to beat the odds just to escape with our lives, and that was while everybody on that ship was trying to throw each othr to the wolves.

Coruscant burns, but nobody takes the fight to the Empire's doorstep. Nobody thinks we can win.

Maybe the Republic's not what I thought it was, and maybe I'm not who I thought I was either.

##End Log##

[The time has come to make a choice. Quinine must choose his advanced class – will he retain his optimism and dreams of space adventure, becoming a Scoundrel? Or will he harden his heart in the face of the Republic's decline and take up the way of the blaster, as a Gunslinger?

This is an advanced class vote, but it's also a chance to vote on Quinine's direction as a character. The Scoundrel is the stealth and healing branch for the Smuggler, who can sneak past enemies, heal friends, and uses one blaster and from time to time a trusty scattergun. The Gunslinger is the heavy damage class that dual-wields pistols for added punch and tends to bring more gadgets and heavier gear.

Picking Scoundrel will reflect Quinine sticking to his lightsided, womanizing, roguish ways. He will remain a smuggler, adventurer and Republic patriot. Picking Gunslinger will inject cynicism into Quinine's life, and he will begin to see himself as a mercenary and working for the Republic as a job for credits. He won't be going full darkside, but he will start being motivated more by self-interest than old patriotism and misguided chivalry.

The choice is yours!]