Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 10: THE MYSTERIOUS BLUE NONAGON

Previously posted:

The Jedi JOLUNE MOL'NEUX, searching for a cure for her dying Master, has recovered a NOETIKON, an ancient device holding the knowledge of the JEDI ORDER...

: With all respect, Master Arca, you are incorrect. The structure only appears fractal. If you view it through the lens of the Force...

: It's like being back in Math Club! :swoon:

: I don't suppose either of you is going to move past your petty geometrical squabble long enough to notice we have a visitor.

: What am I looking at here?

: Nerds?

: Hey!

The three inhabitants of the Noetikon of Science are Master Tharis Orne, Master Vandar Tokare and Master Arca Jeth. Vandar Tokare was responsible for retraining Revan in Knights of the Old Republic, and was killed when Darth Nihilus destroyed the world of Katar prior to the events of the sequel. Arca Jeth is one of the heroes of the Tales of the Jedi comics, set during the Great Sith Wars around 400 years before SWTOR. Tharis Orne is... well, he's just this guy, you know?

: The last person to use the Noetikon got so tired of hearing these two yammer he shut us down. It was a mercy.

: Wait, Master Tharis. Where is the Jedi Temple? We seem to have been moved.

: The temple has been destroyed and its contents ransacked.

: Destroyed? Has any of the knowledge been recovered?

: This is the first Noetikon I've found.

: Hmph. It seems much has changed since we were last activated, and not for the better. Tell me of the popular culture of this time, so I may compare it negatively to the popular culture of my youth.

: Well, um, I think Kloo bands are getting popular, and wearing belts around your upper arms is fashionable amongst young Jedi for some reason. Also...

: *cough*

: Oh! Right...Masters, I've come seeking help for my own Master, Yuon Par. She's suffering a mysterious illness.

A BRIEF RECAP OF THE PLOT LATER...

: I'm afraid we've plied our extensive knowledge of biological, chemical and technological diseases, but this illness is beyond us.

: So there may be no cure... what is a technological disease anyway?

: A meme with teeth.

: Sometimes knowledge comes through ruling out false ideas.

: For once, Master Vandar and I agree; Yuon's illness is definitely not medical. But we have accessed the files that bear cross-checking. If you can find the Noetikon of Light, where Masters Noab, Nomi and Wole guard the Jedi Order's mystical knowledge, they may be able to help.

: Where is this Noetikon of Light?

: We do not know. Ordinarily, it would've been connected with us in the temple, but no more.

: Find the Noetikon of Light and seek your answer there. May the Force be with you- and remember, if you seek answers, you must always ask questions.

: So much for science. Back to the Senate, and let's see if Attros has a lead on the “Noetikon of Light”.

Hey, so kicking the rear end of the poor, huddled masses has got our level high enough that we can pick up some new powers:

1) Force of Will: Frees us of all holds and slowing debuffs- handy ability, but a lengthy cooldown makes it a bit crap. Jolune learned this before leaving Tython, but I forgot to mention it then because of reasons.
2) Mind Crush: Does periodic, unblockable damage to enemy. Can be strengthened through skills, but limited damage, so generally useless. Also, “Mind Crush” sounds a bit darkside to me.
3) Channel The Force: Instantly resets the cooldown on Force Stun, regenerates 2% max health every second for a minute, lets us access our Legacy powers if we have any and plays some epic fight music. Can only be used when accompanied by a companion- so no PVP utility, and has a crazy 20 minute cooldown. This is the Get Out Of The poo poo ability, and every class has access to an equivalent version.
4) Deliverance: Gives us +4 to the success roll when engaged in a banjo duel. Useful, but very situational.
5) Force Armor: Surrounds an ally in a swirly forcefield that absorbs a decent amount of damage for 30s. Only has a 4.5s cooldown, but once it wears off it can't be cast on the same ally again for a further 20s. Very, very useful though.

: Good, you're back! Did you find it- the first Noetikon?

: I talked to the Noetikon's Masters. They had advice, but no definitive cure. Their advice was, essentially, “go away and talk to someone else”, but at least they didn't start talking in metaphors.

: I have a solid lead on the second Noetikon. Unfortunately, it's in Black Sun territory. They're a local gang, pretty vicious.

: Yuon needs those Noetikons to help her. Tell me where to go.

The Black Sun are still going strong in the era the films are set in, which means they'll be an organised crime syndicate with over 3000 years of history. That's a longer legacy than most Sith Lords can muster, which just goes to show that a) humdrum everyday villainy beats exciting supervillainy for sticking power and b) the Space FBI are the laziest government employees in the galaxy.

: There's shipments going in- my sister saw the Noetikon in one of them. But no shipments are going out again.

: This matter bears investigation. The game's afoot, Qyzen!

: I'll give you directions to the Silent Sun cantina; please, be careful. Those Black Sun gangsters are vicious.

: I sure hope the Noetikon these gangsters have is the Noetikon of Light we need. It'll be a real disappointment if it turns out to be the, oh I dunno, Noetikon of Dance say. Full of secret ancient Jedi jams.

: Might be Noetikon of Beards instead. Contain secret ancient Jedi grooming advice.

: Noetikon of Cookery. Secret ancient Jedi recipes for space pies.

: Noetikon of Love. Secret ancient Jedi romance novels.

: Noetikon of... wait... I'm sensing... someone nearby is having a conversation about Math!

: :geno:

: I use mistaken words and request patience. This will be clearer. The lower levels are alarming and filled with casualties. Active collaborators can solve problems.

: Oh, I give up. Do you have any idea what this ambassador droid is trying to say?

: Why not go to someone else? Why come to me? I don't want to step on the toes of the Translator's Union. Those guys crazy mean.

: Oh, I don't know. Even the protocol droids can't decipher these speech patterns. I'm at my wit's end.

: Before you ask, the Gree are a remote people, isolationist. They helped build Coruscant's original infrastructure. We asked for assistance with repairs, they sent the droids.

: Wow, you're actually trying to help Coruscant. Are you sure you're a Senator?

: From Agamar. Small agricultural world with no real pull in the Senate, trying to change that by helping get Coruscant running again.

Agamar was a running joke in the X-wing books, being basically Planet Hicksville.

: The enclave bargains resources and offers reversal of Coruscant's yellow concave. We commit to white vertex to achieve this.

: Gree droids seem to speak in Gree patterns. So this gibberish is what I've got to rebuild Coruscant with.

: I speak attentively in hopes of comprehension. The bargain encounters great challenges. My delegates suffer assault effecting the maintenance. Fire, damage and fear. Do you follow?

: There's something stopping you from doing your job?

: Coruscant needs these repairs to continue functioning. Pat-aK, you have to convince your delegates to brave these dangers.

: Impossible. My delegates require aid from one accustomed to fire, damage and chaos. A black bisector, you see?

: Very few are accustomed to the things you describe.

: I sense-soak-percieve you are one of these elite. You radiate experience of green-yellow-white perpendiculars.

: Yeah, I've run into my share of perpendiculars... wait, what?

: My delegates will describe their black spheres for you. These are bold, courageous, mission-callings. Speak to them and learn. Nam-aK will describe first.

: Where's this “blue nonagon”? Why won't you go there?

: That is difficult to impart. The level below is concentrated, strong, misery-wrongness. It is blue nonagon and horrible. Never going back. Coruscant's life-waters are sluggish-stagnant. Pat-aK commanded me, go to the level below, repair the broken hydrosupply, make clean life-waters flow.

: What happened to you?

: Your language is insufficient to describe my suffering. Misery, wrongness, unprecedented perpendicularity... all too much.

I love the way the Gree droids talk, the standard prissiness of protocol droids married to this weird colour-and-shape based gibberish.

: Pat-aK failed to impart the lethal conflict enemies waiting on the level below. Many weapons and offenders despising my arrival.

: ...Can I take your crafted solution to the hydrosupply?

: You offer yourself as a black bisector? That is a gratifying unpredicted announcement! I pledge to provide items of Gree ingenuity in return.

: ...objection!

: Question?

: Nothing!

: Be alerted, Black Sun green perpendicular will provide onslaught. May you experience blue tangent and return intact.

: …

: …

: I have no idea what I just agreed to do.

NEXT TIME: Unprecedented perpendicularity!

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Gree posted:

Known for their bizarre and wonderful technology as much as their unusual cephalopodic anatomy, the Gree are one of the oldest species in the galaxy. Their civilization once flourished in the Outer Rim, though the glory days of their people ended thousands of years before the rise of the Republic. In modern times, with much of their history forgotten and the greatest achievements of their people lost, most Gree live in seclusion in the Enclave–a mid-sized region of space carefully isolated from outside contact. However, the Gree reputation as engineers and artisans is still unmatched. Genuine Gree technology is worth a fortune to collectors and researchers–though few Gree would part with such treasures, preferring to lend their skills instead. 

Inferior fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 12, 2013