Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #011
Stardate: A three-minute cab-ride away from real trouble.

Coruscant security has a reputation for toughness. It's their job to keep the heart of the galaxy running, with every kind of alien and whack-job squeezed together in one place. Even so, by the time I found Captain Winborn it looked like they'd been pushed up against the wall.

quote:

Quinine: Captain Winborn? Senator Kayl said you needed backup. What's the situation?

Captain Winborn: We're getting cut to pieces down here. We're not trained to fight an army of killers.

Captain Winborn: These gangsters are smart – organized. Clearly trained off-world. They'll kill thousands. Might even destroy the Senate tower.

Now that'd be a neat trick

quote:

Captain Winborn: The scum found themselves a way around that little detail.

Captain Winborn: The gangsters brought slicers to access every network node in the sector. They're trying to take over the automated speeder flight paths.

Whatever happened to some friendly blackmail, huh? Couldn't they just take some holos of Senators at a private party like normal crooks?

quote:

Quinine: Send a man to warn the Senators. They need to find shelter.

Captain Winborn: I sent word right before you got here, but there isn't enough time to save everyone. We have to stop this here.

Captain Winborn: The gangsters have armed patrols guarding the network access points. We need to push them back and manually lock down the terminals.

Captain Winborn: Get enough terminals, and we might just pull this off. My men will back you up. Good luck in there.

Attacking the Senate was crazy-talk. I get that these guys must be pretty mad about their living conditions, but trying to destroy the whole Republic over it? It's not like they could get away with threatening the government of a thousand systems, the Republic would just upgrade them from 'annoying' to 'orbital bombardmet target'. There had to be more going on here.

Their thugs were pretty well-armed, but they weren't Imperial commandos. Me and Corso cut through them like a bad metaphor through a memoir.

All we had to do was get them away from the network access points long enough to tie 'em off. Following the network lines even helped us figure out where they were keeping their pet slicer, so this job was a real win-win.

The only hard part was passing up on the cantina. Then again, we were broke, and we'd already have enough heat on us for busting the guild's offensive without adding a skipped bar-tab to the list.

Finding the network hub wasn't too hard – it was the hole in the wall with all the fancy security systems. The door was locked up tight, we'd have better luck demolishing the walls around it than breaking in.

Good thing the guild had underbosses walking the street where an enterprising Captain could kick 'em in the head, huh?

That's the thing about doors, they're only as locked as the easiest-to-steal key.

Of course we still had to get past “network security”. All droids, no people.

The last door is just as heavy-duty as the first, but was only locked on the other side. I blasted the mechanism and the whole thing came open. That's when I realized they were trying to keep someone in.

Recommended for a bit of payback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6o1GgGbaMk

quote:

Corso: Guess we found our slicer – but why does this room look like a prison?

Kixi: Because it is a prison. Thanks for noticing.

Kixi: Whatever issue you're having with the guild, I'm on your side. I'm just a slave here.

quote:

Kixi: Then is there any chance you're here to free me? Because I'm definitely ready to not be here.

Kixi: The guild locked me up two years ago. Forced me to work for them. I'll do anything to get out. What do you need?

Quinine: Put me on Skavak's trail and I'll free you.

That was a relief, I was not ready to hear another girl go gooey over that slime-ball. He gives womanizers a bad name.

quote:

Kixi: I knew that Corellian pig-lizard Skavak had ticked off the wrong person. No wonder he was in such a hurry.

Kixi: Skavak paid the guild to clean his identity record. They made me slice into the Republic's main database and delete all his arrest warrants.

Quinine: You just cracked open the Republic's database and changed things?

Now I could see why they'd gone through the trouble of locking up Kixi when there's already plenty of shady slicers for hire. Deleting Republic arrest warrants? That's like the holy grail of cyber-crime. If I wasn't so honest and dashingly handsome I could box her up to go and start a criminal empire of my own.

quote:

Kixi: Sorry, but that's all I know about Skavak. Not sure how else to help you.

Quinine: Isn't there some way to figure out where Skavak is?

Kixi: Do you know how many people are on Coruscant? It takes a lot for one man to stand out. Hang on... maybe that's it.

Kixi: Take away his spotless identity record, and Skavak can't walk ten meters without attracting attention. He'll be a lot easier to find.

Kixi: I can ruin Skavak's identity record for you in no time. If I do that, will you let me go?

We might not've found Skavak himself, but turning his identity record radioactive felt almost as good, and for Kixi it was as easy as a few keystrokes. If we'd had time I'd have dug up my old revenge list – let's see how funny advanced calculus is with twenty unpaid parking tickets, Mr. Richardson.

Ah well. Gotta prioritize.

quote:

Kixi: In other words, just the way I found it. No problem.

Kixi: I saved copies of everything I erased from Skavak's identity record. All I have to do now is transfer the data back...

Kixi: There, easy. The minute he passes an identity checkpoint, it'll trigger an alarm.

Quinine: A gangster put a price on my head. Can you fix that?

quote:

Kixi: Okay. Let me go now, so I can get out of here before they lock this place down.

Quinine: I was always planning to let you go.

Kixi's a sweet girl. She'd done two years of lockup, which is more than I'd ever got, and still came out sassy and cracking jokes. Me and Corso saw her safe back to the speeder port so she could get as far away from the guild as she could. Now she just has to hope wherever she goes nobody figures out she can crack the Republic's central databases or she'll end up right back in a cell.

We stopped by Winborn on the way back to let him know we'd done our job and to get that message checked out.

quote:

Captain Winborn: With the network terminals locked down, the speeder traffic is secure. Now all that's left is pushing out those gangsters for good.

Quinine: There was some kind of encrypted message on the network. Looks like a recording.

Captain Winborn: Let me see that... hmm... it's an old Migrant Merchants' Guild code. Think I can decrypt it... Here we go.

Raise your hand if you're surprised.

quote:

Senator Vanara Kayl: Your people will have to wait their turn like everyone else. I owe you nothing. If you continue pushing me, I'll destroy you all.

Quinine: Senator Kayl and the Migrant Merchants' Guild are at war? That's what this is about?

Senator Vanara Kayl: Your extortion attempt has failed. My people are pushing back your little army as we speak. It's over.

Prakkath: Nobody breaks a deal with us, Senator. We'll have what we want one way or another.

quote:

Quinine: A security captain who gives away evidence to complete strangers? How did you get this job?

Captain Winborn: I follow my conscience. Whatever's happening, there's a reasonable explanation.

Captain Winborn: Senator Kayl has done great things for Courscant. She's a good woman. Give her a chance.

That was about the point the Migrant Merchants' Guild hit the barricade again. Between dealing with a Senator or an army of murderous gangsters, Winborn went with the gangsters. That's how scared people are of messing with one of the Republic's most powerful politicians.

We're heading back to Darmas first, see what he's got on Skavak. His identity record stinks so bad right now he'd set off a smoke alarm, he can't hide long. After that though? I've got a date with Kayl, and not the kind I was hoping for.

##End Log##

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 7, 2013