Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 12: POWER UP!

Previously posted:

CORUSCANT'S infrastructure is in a state of collapse, and only the ingenuity of the mysterious GREE ENCLAVE can repair it. Helping them is the young Jedi, JOLUNE MOL'NEUX, as she searches for the lost NOETIKON OF SECRETS that could cure her dying Master, YUON PAR...

: It looks like this “Lars Baddeg” character has the Noetikon of Secrets, assuming those smugglers weren't lying. I wonder why some vigilante is so interested in old Jedi relics?

: Power. Always power.

: Bleh. I hope he's not another Nalen Raloch.

: Better go tell the Gree droids that I fixed the pipes. Or that I inverse yellow convexed the blue pentahedron, or whatever.

: A group of children was collecting water from the broken hydrosupply and trading it.

: A faulty hydrosupply is not suited for immature life cycles. Sealing the break promotes their safety. Clean life-waters flow and nurture upper levels. The Coruscant sufferer-beings achieve benefits of the enclave's Gree ingenuity.

: You guys like things to be parallel, don't you?

: Your comprehension of Gree linguistics progresses favorably. You evolve accurate insights.

: ...I think I've just been patronised.

: My acknowledgement and appreciations. I continue upgrading Coruscant systems and ensure the clean life-waters flow upward. Accept my unyielding gratefulness. Please assist Hib-R-ak with his black sphere.

: B-but I need to... oh, alright.

: Unhappiness is a sign one has lost one's balance.

: My gyros respond positively. Balance remains stable. Your statement advances nothing.

: I-I thought that was deep. Why does no one like my aphorisms?

: Pat-aK commanded me: Optimize Coruscant's waste processing system. Preserve your organs from filth-disease-poisons. But Ugnaught porcine-bipeds plunder Gree ingenuity from waste processors- with Gree optimization solution stolen, filth-disease-poisons spread uncontrolled. Plagues imminent!

: What would Ugnaughts gain from possessing your technology?

: Many species attempt access of Gree ingenuity. This is no white convex- ah, mystery-puzzle-labor.

: Pat-aK authorizes compensation of Republic credits to the black bisector who repossesses the optimization solution.

: You're asking me, a Jedi, to fix Coruscant's sewerage system? I- no, just... ewww.

: Surprising. Had heard story-myth-legend of Jedi bisectors. Assumed virulent plague contagion would be of concern.

: :sigh: ...I'll handle it.

: That is the expected response, black bisector. Why exhaust respiratory functions on it?

: :argh:

LATER...

: Justicar territory.

: Yeah, I guessed that from all those Black Sunners they had nailed to the billboards.

Gotrut here is an Ugnaught. Ugnaught speech sounds like an angry pig with a terrible smoking habit.

: Cooperate and you won't be harmed. Where's the Gree device?

: Oh, great. I told you guys we should've left that alien thing where it belonged! Take it, all right? We thought we could make it work, but we can't. We'll have to find some other way to save everyone on this level.

: Are the people on this level in some kind of danger?

: Yes. We're not thieves, we're engineers. We work to keep this area clean and safe, but it's getting' harder every day to do that. This level's got a big problem we can't fix- the air filters stopped working, the Senate won't send anybody to make repairs, and things are gettin' bad. We got too many people living in the same area.

: Coruscant's always been our home. We're all here because we believe in the Republic. Can't you understand that?

: You live in squalor, thugs rule your streets, the Senate is content to leave you all to die, and despite that you still believe in the Republic. I think you might be a hero, Gotrut.

: Eh, well... Without our air filters, the smog seeps in fast, which is even harder on the non-humanoids. Pretty soon we're gonna have an epidemic on our hands.

: What do you think I can do about it?

: I don't know. You're working with those Gree, right? Maybe you can put in a word? If we get our air filters workin', you'll never hear from us again.

: I'll tell the Gree representatives about your situation.

Light side choice there, dark siders can tell him to get lost. Which is completely stupid, as it costs you nothing to tell the Gree about the issue, so dark siders are condemning a whole neighbourhood to death for no reason. Gratuitous evil is rarer on the Republic side than the Empire, but there are still a few “total rear end in a top hat” decisions.

: You don't know what this means to use. You're savin' innocent lives.

: Just show it to them. It'll explain everything about our situation.

: Sure thing. I'll get this waste processing tech reinstalled first though.

I've put this image in to show off how Jolune holds her lightsaber while running- the Jedi and Sith characters hold their sabers differently depending on their class- Knights & Warriors hold their sabers forward in a “Western” swordsman stance, while Consulars & Inquisitors hold their sabers behind them in a more “Eastern” samurai (or at least the samurai cliche) style. I thought it was a nice touch.

: I think you'll find the datapad worth reading.

: The Ugnaught porcine-bipeds submit esteem for my efforts and honor my faculties. This is unforeseen pleasantness. With this optimization solution repossessed, Coruscant's waste processors revive. Filth-disease-poison levels recede, plague outbreaks averted. All resolves to purple parallel.

: That involved a lot less sewer diving than I feared. Oh, there's another message coming in...

: The black bisector comes! Pleasing, as it is needed.

: I haven't come anywhere, I was just standing here and... I'm about to be roped into doing more maintenance work, aren't I?

BONUS READER CHALLENGE: Use the phrase “I will use simple-happy language words to help you understand” in the next internet argument you get into. Report back on your opponent's reaction.

: What's with your language, anyway? I can barely understand you.

: The Gree language-form is dissimilar to Basic language-form, because Gree senses are unique red bisectors! Five Gree senses analyze forms. Three Gree senses soak color. So goes language. Other species miscommunicate our language-words.

: Ultimately, diversity is what makes the Republic strong. And keeps the Translator's Union in business.

: Yes. The Republic is point-of-intersection for many, and Coruscant for most. But Coruscant is now our difficulty.

: Repeat that. The Works are where Coruscant's power is generated?

: The Works is very low on Coruscant. There, Gree spawning generators breed electrons for machine consumption...

: Electricity does not work that way, In-iK.

: ...but enemy droid-machines intersect the power conduits and yellow-shift their functionality. Enemy droid machines must stop, and conduits must be fixed.

: Why are the enemy droid machines disrupting the power conduits?

: All droids in the Works were damaged when the Empire attacked. Now they are corrupt. I monitor the power conduits, and know where to implement purple-shifting. As black bisector, you can “take out” many, many droid-machines.

: Excellent- red tangents envelop us! You will do well, black bisector.

: Well, this is the lift down. It shouldn't be too tough to deal with some haywire maintenance droids after everything we've faced.

: Not just droids. Cthon live in Works.

: What's a Cthon?

: Will explain later.

LATER...

: Remember when ask what Cthon is?

: Not now, Qyzen!

: Blaaargghhhh!!!

: Phew... Let's just find the last of the broken conduits and get out of here.

: Here we go.

: Fixed! Hopefully that'll keep Coruscant running for another few ye-*mip mip* *mip mip*

: Sorry, Attros, I got sidetracked. The Noetikons... it's been hit or miss, but I've managed to find some answers.

: I hate to interrupt you, but I need you back at the Embassy. Yuon has taken a turn for the worse. She attacked my assistant, Pharen.

: Yuon is true hunter. Will fight to live.

: I've managed to keep her restrained, but I'm worried what will happen if she doesn't calm down.

: Yes, I was thinking that myself. Come as quick as you can.

: Yes, I think I'd like to break all your bones. I'd enjoy hearing them go pop, pop, pop.

: Fight? I don't know what you're talking about. What's a few broken bones between friends? Want to play?

: Please, Yuon, it's me. Your Padawan.

: My Padawan? I don't have a Padawan. I sent her to fight the Flesh Raiders, and before the day was done, they dined.

: Qyzen, your friend- he was there on Tython, too. He hunted those Flesh Raiders.

: Is so, Yuon. Herald lives, and I.

: Qyzen? Oh no, no. They devoured him too. Let me show you how!

: Aah!

NEXT TIME: I fought the law, and the law won.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

The Works posted:

Impressive as Coruscant’s shining towers are, they could not exist without the less-glamorous Works, the heavy industrial complex deep below in the lower levels. The Works is home to Coruscant’s hydrosupply stations, pollution-processing plants and electrical generators, staffed by droids who can survive accidents in the Works’ dangerous machinery. Some of Coruscant’s more desperate homeless hide in the Works, tapping the pipes for water and sleeping under the power conduits to keep warm. Occasionally they will break a major pipeline, causing blackouts and water shortages on the levels above. One Senator, while demanding harsher penalties for vagrancy, found his water supply mysteriously cut off forty times in a month.

Cthon posted:

Cthons are vicious humanoids that have plagued the underworld of Coruscant for centuries, though some have found their way or been smuggled offworld. Swift to mutate from generation to generation, nearly blind despite their unusual eye structure, cthons find their prey by listening for movement and feeling vibrations through Coruscant’s substructures. Many of the lower level’s more superstitious believe the cthons were originally Coruscanti criminals, banished from the upper levels and left to devolve. There is no scientific evidence for this belief. While they usually scavenge from the huge piles of garbage that accumulate in Coruscant’s lower levels, cthons are vicious hunters, capable of bringing down security patrols. Coruscant’s reconstruction has been particularly beneficial to the cthon population, providing new lairs and breeding grounds, not to mention a surfeit of lost and easily preyed-upon refugees.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 14, 2014