Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #020
Stardate: Dropping in on Agent Soganti's planet (everyone else just lives there)

There was a welcoming committee waiting for us in the spaceport. Looks like my reputation's starting to precede me, and not in a way I'd like.

Recommended for legitimate business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV_dzCk0kIQ

quote:

Quinine: Last time I checked, Taris was Republic territory.

Agent Soganti: When you have as many responsibilities as I do, you develop a sense of ownership about a planet.

Agent Soganti: The Republic Customs Office monitors all starship traffic and ensures no illegal goods are transported on or off this planet.

Now that's interesting. Even after three hundred years and a vicious beating from the Sith, Taris still has stuff worth stealing. Not that I'm interested in looting a dead planet, of course (Agent Soganti? You reading this log by any chance?).

quote:

Quinine: I sincerely have no idea what you're talking about – honest.

Agent Soganti: That's right – you have “solid citizen” written all over you.

Agent Soganti: I take a special interest in every new arrival to my planet, Captain. Keep your nose clean, and we won't have any trouble. Clear?

quote:

Agent Soganti: We'll see about that.

You don't need to tell me Agent Soganti's going to be a problem. He wants to make a name for himself out here, and collaring me for some customs violation would be a good start. I'll have to play this one carefully.

Taris is as bad as you've heard and worse. The whole “safe zone” doesn't extend past shouting distance from the space-port. I could see a whole company's worth of troops spread out trying to maintain a perimeter. The sky's a forest of shattered towers and twisted metal.

We tracked down the warehouse address Risha gave us. Time to meet her former partner.

Recommended to meet our contact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5icNZUF69M

quote:

AR-GO: The Maker said it is better to burn out than rust away. Perhaps I'm testing that wisdom, Mistress.

Quinine: I'm looking for Beryl Thorne.

She's cute, that's for sure. That scar over her eye hints at some pretty tough living, though. Anyone who's run with Risha would have to be more than a pretty face.

quote:

Beryl Thorne: Let's get one thing straight. The only reason I agreed to help is because my contract supplying the Taris reclamation project is at risk.

Beryl Thorne: Looked like easy credits. Turns out, Taris is anything but easy, and there are a lot of interesting ways to die.

Quinine: As long as you're breathing, you're still in business.

Beryl Thorne: Some business. I'm barely covering my own expenses.

Beryl Thorne: If I don't finish my contract, I don't get paid. Tyrodall – my partner – died on a supply run. Put me in a real bind.

Sounds like Beryl's not had the best luck with partners. Still, how hard could a few delivery jobs be? Even without her partner she should've been able to handle it.

quote:

Quinine: Can't your walking rust bucket handle things?

Beryl Thorne: Not a chance. The scavengers would be on Argo like Gundarks on fresh meat.

Beryl Thorne: I only have two deliveries left. Soon as you handle them, we'll find your vault.

Beryl Thorne: The first job's for a Republic scientist named Vernan. He's got a research camp in rakghoul territory.

Quinine: What exactly am I delivering?

Beryl Thorne: Some kind of sensor equipment. Don't know what it's for.

Beryl Thorne: I'll start working on your job while you handle mine. Isn't cooperation grand?

Just when we were starting to warm up to each other, there's a knock on the door. The job was starting to sound too simple, after all.

quote:

Beryl Thorne: Agent Soganti. What a lovely surprise. It's only been a day since your last inquisition – I mean, inspection.

Beryl Thorne: Don't you Republic Customs boys have better things to do than turn my warehouse upside down again?

Agent Soganti: I can inspect this warehouse whenever I want. It's the law.

Beryl Thorne: Take Doctor Vernan's delivery, Captain. There's no reason for you to stick around.

quote:

Beryl Thorne: A smart man. I can take care of myself – but thanks.

Beryl Thorne: Poke around the warehouse all you want, agent. You won't find anything out of order.

Agent Soganti: Ehhh... what did I just step in, Thorne?

Well, that explains what she needs the help for. With customs breathing down her neck, getting any work done has to be a nightmare. I figure if she does us a solid with the scanning job, the least I can do is hike through a swampy ruin full of monsters.

Me and Corso were exploring the safe zone before heading out when we came up on a refugee camp. It's a bad sign for the resettlement plan if people are getting pushed back to the safe zone, so I figured I'd stop by and see what's going wrong.

quote:

Quinine: I go where there's opportunity.

Urana Kiel: Then turn around.

Urana Kiel: If you're looking for... well, anything, you won't find it here. Scavengers have our homes, and the army's fighting them.

Urana Kiel: While one side's looting, the other's bombing. And we get to sit in a tent and hope.

Quinine: Are you gonna be alright?

Urana Kiel: It's not me I'm worried about. It's my brother, it's my mom who hasn't left her tent.

Her story was starting to sound all too familiar. I could tell Corso was itching to help out - the refugees probably remind him of home.

quote:

Urana Kiel: The whole camp's just waiting to go back to the settlement, but the scavengers are still there, probably looting left and right.

Quinine: I could lend a hand if you need one.

Urana Kiel: Seriously? Well, if you could get back there, we left a lot of things behind-

Whoops. This is where the shouting starts.

quote:

Vidas Kawats: Someone's going to the settlement? Get me my landspeeder!

Leisha Vamden: My farming droids are still out there! Oh, and my sonic washer. Hey! Bada! Get out here, someone's making a trip!

Urana Kiel: All of you, back off! We do this one at a time, or nobody gets anything!

Urana Kiel: This uh... this could take a while. Are you still in?

Quinine: Just – everyone can't talk at once.

Considering the whole Republic army hadn't taken back their village yet, I figured doing one run was a pretty reasonable offer.

quote:

Leisha Vamden: I want my digging tools. I don't know how long we'll be here, and if we're going to build or grow anything, we'll need them.

Fayem Schall: All I hear all day is dumb boys fighting 'cause there's nothing to do. I've got a box with ten custom pazaak decks. Bring those.

Vidas Kawats: I got a micro-generator in my toolbox. Bring the toolbox and we can plug in everything electric.

Semist Bada: I've spent years working on a novel in my spare time. It's on datafile. I'm sure it won't have been stolen.

I'll always be a sucker for farm-girls in need, and a bunch of low-down scavengers stripping settlers' livelihoods really gets under my skin.

Now that it's time to leave the safe-zone behind, I decided to dig something out of my ship's hold. I'd been worried Skavak might've sold it – it's a genuine collector's item by now.

Yeah, the Space-80's were a hell of a time.

Zipping around this planet gives me the creeps. I keep feeling like someone's watching me, even when I can't see anybody. I can't stop thinking about how millions of people used to live in these towers and walk around these streets, how long it took them to build their city up so high and how quick a Sith wacko knocked it to the ground. I don't know what they pay the settlers to move here, but it's not enough.

We rolled up on to the settlement. It looked like any prefab farm like you might see on any backwater planet, minus the giant ruined skyscrapers and armed marauders. With a planet's worth of wreckage to pick over, they decide to ruin the lives of a few honest folks just trying to make a living.

Me and Corso registered our displeasure. They didn't seem up to fighting people who fight back.

Once we'd taken care of the scavengers, picking up the settlers' stuff was a walk in the monster-infested park. They'll be back, though, and they'll keep coming back until the army can actually spread out and secure some of the planet they're supposed to be colonizing. Hopefully what little we got will help the people in the camp hold on to hope for a while longer.

We're coming up on Vernan's tent for the first of Beryl's deliveries. The job was easy, just like I thought - still haven't seen any of the monsters everyone keeps talking about. If we keep up the pace, we should be off this planet in no time.