Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #025
Stardate: Crawling out of a toxic pit (read: anywhere on Taris)

It wasn't far to the scavengers' base. They were going for defense over stealth, holing up in a pretty intact compound to give them some shelter from the ghouls.

Didn't help them much with us, though. My stealth field generator and scattergun got a pretty good work out. I'm pretty sure my old counsellor would disapprove, but it really helped me clear my head after the whole rakghoul adventure. You know where you stand with pirates – just slightly behind them, with a big gun.

We picked through their salvage and found Ovold's tools, but none of the core samples. And wow, the stuff they did scavenge... 300 years ago Taris was apparently swimming in computer spikes, pazaak cards and swords.

Their camp was built around an old, underground bunker cracked open by the bombardment, so we decided to sneak in and keep looking for the core samples.

Not to mention Corso and I had a side-bet going on who could blast the most pirates before we get back to friendly territory.

I'd like to think we're both winning.

The place was huge. It must've been some big storage depot before Taris fell, but most of it seemed pretty intact. The scavengers had even gotten some of it working again to help them store loot from the rest of the planet. Quite a lot of loot, by the looks of it.

We made it all the way to the end without finding any core samples. What we did find was a Devaronian working an assembly line of droids, and an interesting little revelation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps0bXg4EZdk

quote:

Quinine: I'm here for the planetary core samples. Hand them over.

Tyrodall: “Planetary core samples”... right. You work for Beryl Thorne, don't you? That's what I used to do. The name's Tyrodall.

Tyrodall: I was helping Beryl smuggle artifacts off Taris disguised as core samples. Thought we'd get rich. Turns out, Beryl's a soft touch.

Well well, looks like Beryl isn't keeping her hands completely clean after all. No wonder Soganti's turning her warehouse upside down. Tracking down the descendants is an interesting twist, though. On a planet full of grave-robbers, she must be the only one trying to put things back where they belong.

quote:

Quinine: There's an Imperial market on Taris.

Tyrodall: No, but high-ups in Imperial space pay big credits for Taris artifacts. They're status symbols.

Tyrodall: I let Beryl think rakghouls had killed me and went into business with the scavengers. They had a bright idea to increase profits.

Tyrodall: Why sell a relic to the Imperials once when we can sell it a dozen times? These droids are making copies of the relics.

It really does. I have to give Tyrodall some credit, it's a pretty good scheme and the only people it hurts are a bunch of high-society imperials with too much money and not enough taste.

quote:

Tyrodall: And that's just the beginning. I'm working out deals with wealthy collectors all over the galaxy.

Tyrodall: Let's be smart about this. I'll give you a hefty payout and a cargo-pod of counterfeit relics if you keep my operations quiet.

Tyrodall: You go home richer, Beryl gets some “relics” to give away and I stay in business. What do you say?

And that's the rub. Much as I like scamming the Empire...

quote:

Tyrodall: Oh, well. Guess we finish this the hard way.

So a small-time crook with a couple droids thinks he can put us down for good. Wondering how that fight went?

A quick visual metaphor for you.

With the scavengers and Tyrodall finished, I grabbed the missing “core samples” for Beryl. Corso wanted to dig through the counterfeits and see if there was anything worth taking, but I figured it was better to leave them behind. We've got enough trouble with customs as it is.

It was just a short hop, skip and speeder-ride from the scavenger base to the abandoned ChemWorks. Note to self: get respirator for next toxic dumpster dive.

And what did we find inside? Rakghouls. Dozens of them, swimming in the runoff like it was a jacuzzi and not concentrated acid.

Things've changed between me and these monsters. Now I get close. They want to claw and bite me, they're welcome. Maybe it's the head full of rakghoul plague talking, but caving in their faces with the grip of my blaster was much more satisfying than shooting it at them.

Once we'd cleared out way more of the monsters than we needed to, me and Corso snagged the... what was it again? Trito-nano... krypto... nitrotrinanium...

We grabbed the chem-canisters and got the hell out of there. Time to tie up our deliveries and make for home. Then Beryl can tell us where these astrogation charts are and we can get this whole crazy treasure-hunt back on the road. Hopefully, a road that never leads back to Taris.

##End Log##