Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

[Posted this early by accident, but might as well go for it now]

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #027
Stardate: Rising to the occasion

I've got a minute of downtime here, so I figure now's a good chance to catch up on my logging. Fair warning, I've got a lot to put down here. Maybe grab yourself a drink. I know I have.

So... where did I leave off? Oh right, Corso and I were looking for a diner on Taris. We found a takeout place in the safe zone that did good Ithorian (their cooking, not them, ew) and picked up a couple six-packs to celebrate surviving Taris so far. We get to drinking and eating fried salad, and I guess I wasn't keeping track of how much Corso'd had because he starts rambling.

Recommended for kicking it with Corso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aCx2-oe0jE

quote:

Corso: Ah, for Ord Mantell. Where separatists were bad and guns were good, and we could just run in shooting.

Quinine: I'm not noticing a drop off in our rate of running in and shooting...

Corso: Yeah, we just have to do so much thinking first.

It's no surprise Corso's feeling homesick for a civil war. Things weren't near as simple as he thinks they were on Ord Mantell, but he could keep fighting and pretend they were well enough. The world looks pretty simple down a blaster sight, but once you get into the wider galaxy, you can lose track of who you're fighting and why.

quote:

Corso: Why don't we have more fun on this ship?

quote:

Quinine: Your idea of fun needs some serious updating.

Corso: Well, I don't hear you coming up with anything.

At this point he slurred out some half-coherent idea about pranking Risha, but I wasn't really following it. Don't think Corso was either, actually.

I kept drinking, but Corso cooled it soon after. He seemed to have a lot on his mind, and drinking and joking wasn't helping him forget.

quote:

Corso: I want to look for my cousin Rona. She's all the family I got left, and I think she should know what happened.

Quinine: Never worry about favors, Corso. You're part of my crew.

Corso: Thank you, Captain.

I don't think Corso realizes how much I owe him. Without his help I'd have never got my ship back, probably end up bumming around Coruscant until one of Rogun's bounty hunters gets lucky. If I can pay him back for that some day, I will.

quote:

Corso: I thought maybe we could track her down. You'd like her. She's really the reason I'm here.

Quinine: I thought you came to chase down Skavak and stayed for the good beer.

Corso: Rona was kind of our family rebel. We used to have a blast together.

Corso: She liked me to run interference so her father never caught her on dates with offworlders.

So she's got a thing for offworlders, huh?

quote:

Corso: On second thought, maybe I shouldn't introduce you two. Rona's always had a nose for trouble.

Corso: I remember one time, uncle came looking for Rona while she was in the shuttle pod with some Agamarian pirate. I was about twelve.

Corso: I didn't know how else to distract uncle, so I started a fight. Got the whole ship confiscated.

Corso: I never did find out how Rona got out of city jail...

He's all heart, Corso. It's a huge galaxy out there, though, and with nothing but a name to go on our chances of finding Rona are low – assuming she didn't find the big, bad galaxy too much for her. I wouldn't say that to Corso, though. He deserves a chance to try and find her.

We'd finished off the drinks and the food, and I eventually remembered why we'd come back to the ship. I had to hit up Risha for some tech to crack the vault her astrogation maps were in. While I was at it, I had a few questions of my own for her.

Recommended for some tough questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4MaWYkOx3g

quote:

Risha: They're trying to beat us to the vault. Sounds like they're closing in.

Quinine: Tell me where to find Skavak so I can fry him.

Typical Skavak, afraid to get his hands dirty and do his own fighting. At least taking on his mercs and snatching up the charts should get under his skin.

quote:

Risha: From what I heard, Skavak and his men aren't having much luck in their search for the vault.

Risha: Something out there is eating those mercenaries alive. Literally.

Quinine: For once, I'm glad Taris is a death trap.

Risha: The creatures are slowing the mercenaries down, but not enough.

Risha: Go to the vault fast as you can, then open the lock with this Geonosian slicer module.

quote:

Risha: Technology has come a long way since that vault was built. It'll open.

Risha: Good luck, partner. Hope I see you again.

I coulda just walked out there, but after meeting Beryl and seeing how bad things got between her and Risha, I had to know more about my new partner's history.

quote:

Risha: She's bitter about something that happened a long time ago. Forget about her.

quote:

Risha: You really want to do this now? Fine.

Risha: A few years ago, Beryl and I robbed an Imperial treasury station. The heist went bad.

Risha: I escaped, Beryl didn't. She blames me for not rescuing her from the Imperials.

Quinine: Is there a reason you left your friend to rot?

Funny she couldn't look me in the eye while she said that, though.

quote:

Risha: Regardless, I don't work with walking liabilities anymore. That's why I'm with you.

Her attitude reminds me of Tyrodall, and not in a good way. From what I've seen, the only way Beryl's a liability is she's not a cutthroat out to make a profit at any cost. Behind that pretty face and witty tongue, Risha's got a heart like ice. I better remember that, in case I get foolish and start thinking she doesn't see this as a business arrangement.

Anyway. Speaking of business, I stepped off the ship and right into some more trouble.

quote:

Quinine: What do you want to know, agent?

Agent Soganti: I suspect Thorne is smuggling relics, and I think I know how she's doing it. What I lack is proof.

Agent Soganti: I need someone to step forward and testify so I can arrest her. I'm looking for an honest citizen, Captain.

quote:

Agent Soganti: If I catch you covering for her... well, let's not consider the ugly implications.

Agent Soganti: I'm authorized to pay a generous sum for any lead resulting in an arrest. Think about what's best for you.

Agent Soganti: Are you absolutely sure you don't know anything about Beryl Thorne's criminal activities?

Like I was about to sell Beryl out to some two-bit spaceport cop. Of course, the real trick would be getting him off Beryl's trail long enough for her to get away.

quote:

Agent Soganti: Thorne's partner? What do you have to back up that accusation?

Quinine: The crazy Devaronian attacked me in the scavenger base. It was his last mistake.

Agent Soganti: You admit to being with scavengers and killing a man – what makes you think I won't arrest you?

Quinine: Tyrodall wasn't the only scavenger I killed. I did you all sorts of favors, agent.

A bit of a gamble, but none of those men were under Republic jurisdiction, and if I'd guessed right Soganti was the sort of guy who's itching for some big, bloody victory that the rules don't let him get.

quote:

Agent Soganti: Sounds like I might be wrong about Thorne.

Agent Soganti: Unfortunately, I may never be able to verify your story. I'm afraid that means no reward.

Quinine: Just leave poor Beryl alone. She's innocent.

Agent Soganti: Nobody's innocent. If I've learned anything in this job, it's that.

Thanks for the tip, tough guy.

quote:

Quinine: I don't want Beryl getting caught.

Corso: Me neither. She's one of the good guys.

This is why I like working with Corso. He might not be big on thinking, but most of the time his instincts are good enough.

We hit Beryl's warehouse straight after leaving the spaceport. I don't know how long it'll take Soganti to figure out I was covering for her, but she'll want to be far away before then.

Highly recommended for a smooth operator in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJzHluXOmKQ

quote:

Quinine: Republic customs is on to you. I kept them off your back – for now.

Beryl Thorne: You have the vault's coordinates. You didn't need to come warn me, but you did.

Beryl Thorne: Where I come from, the best friends are the ones who lie for you. Guess you're a better friend than I thought.

Maybe it was just the booze or the lingering traces of rakghoul plague, but I was feeling bold.

Not my best line, sure, but there must've been something she liked about it.

quote:

Beryl Thorne: Argo, start packing. I'd like some privacy.

AR-G0: Anything to get off this Maker-forsaken planet, Mistress Beryl.

Corso: I'll, uh, just go count the rakghouls.

Well, you don't need to tell me twice.

A beautiful woman, outwitting the law, a brush with death, heading into certain peril... Taris turned out more romantic than I expected. The brandy was good, too. If I have to get shot by mercs or eaten by ghouls tomorrow, at least my last day and night will be one to remember.

I'd love to share more, but Beryl's finished with the shower. Man do I need to get one of those installed on the Miel Muwn. I think I'll save my full report for some future work – a dashing space adventurer doesn't kiss and tell, after all. Now, time to scrape off a planet's worth of grime.

###End Log###

###Start Log [Supplemental]###

Pssst, Risha. I know you're reading the Captain's log, just like you were reading mine when we were partners. I just wanted you to know – I was here first. Hugs and kisses, Beryl.

##End Log##

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 12, 2013