Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Tatooine Update 1: We all wound up on Tatooine.

Begin recording

: So where did you disappear to?

: SIS needed someone to clean up one their messes again, it was fun. Murder, booze, high explosives and autographs

: Autographs?

: Lousy no good gladiator wouldn't even give me his autograph

: Ever wonder who you'd be if the Jedi hadn't taken you in?

: Some days, I don't feel like a Jedi at all. I call them weekdays.

: Been there, still going. Every day. I should be dead or worse a thousand times over. The first months after I escaped Korriban? Exciting. Not easy staying alive when you're a ten-year-old fugitive. No friends, no food, no home.

: Leaving Korriban sounds hard enough. How'd you manage that?

: Helps if you're small. A head for Imperial transport schedules doesn't hurt. One day a big freighter dropped off a cargo of slaves and left with a stowaway. Jumped ship on Nar Shadaaa. Spent eight years sleeping in alleys. Good times. Finally got caught stealing a starship hyperdrive. Should've seen Master Kiwiiks's face.

: Hyperdrives aren't much good without a starship.

: Flying's hard. Taking stuff apart and selling it? Easy. Still remember when Master Kiwiiks realized I was force sensitive and asked me to be her Padawan. It was... weird. Nobody ever gave me a choice before. Still getting used to that.

: You should be comfortable with it by now. When did Master Kiwiiks recruit you?

: A couple of years ago. What can I say? Old habits. Point is, I know what I'd be if I weren't a Jedi--and I'm never going back.

: If we can't go back we might as well go forwards. Set a course for Tatooine.

One hyperspace jump later

: So Tatooine? Looks like a desert dustball, what do we need to know.

: Pulling up the info now... Tatooine: Independent planet nominally controlled by the Hutt's. A backwater planet in the outer rim Principal exports: Sand, Spaceport thugs, pilots with delusions of adequacy. Sorry boss that's all I have.

: Guess it'll have to do, Lets see what the General has to say for himself...

: General, I'm on Tatooine. Has Master Kiwiiks reported in?

: Last we heard, Kiwiiks secured our weapons research facility. She's missed every comm check since then. Enemy action is the most likely scenario, but on Tatooine, anything's possible.

: I hope it's as lawless and fun as Nar Shaddaa.

: Outside the main settlements, the only laws are those of the wild. People vanish there all the time. Some are lost to the native Sand People, others to natural predators. The rest... who knows? Doctor Godera will brief you on the weapons project. Doctor?

: The research facility on Tatooine has created a device code-named the "Shock Drum." :rimshot: The weapon discharges massive ultrasonic vibrations into the ground. It damages enemy fortifications at a microscopic level--quite literally softening them up.

: Sustained ultrasonic damage = highly destructive to droid parts.

: The vibrations will cripple people if they're close enough. But that's not all. The Shock Drum :rimshot: eventually disrupts the planetary core. At critical mass, the core explodes.

: Imagine what that weapon could do the Imperial homeworld.

: My sentiments exactly.

: We're not in the business of destroying worlds. When the weapon's full potential became known, I halted testing. However, there's a fully operational Shock Drum prototype at our facility. If Darth Angral has captured it, the results will be catastrophic. With no word from the facility or Master Kiwiiks, we must assume the worst.

: I sense Master Kiwiiks through the Force, but it's faint... I think she's dying.

: Can you feel her surroundings? Where is she?

: Not sure... somewhere dark, it's taking everything she has to stay alive.

: I don't have any Republic contacts there to assist you. You're on your own. Our facility is located in a remote part of the desert... I'm transmitting the coordinates. Good luck Var Suthra out.

SWTOR Codex posted:

Shock Drum (Knight)

A prototype superweapon developed in secret by the Republic on Tatooine, the Shock Drum has the potential to destroy an entire planet. Designed to emit a series of sonic bursts, the initial stages of activation disable droids and other electronics in an ever-widening circle with the Shock Drum at the epicenter.

The sonic bursts become progressively more intense, with the second stage causing damage and even death to organic life. Left unchecked, the ever-stronger vibrations of the Shock Drum can eventually destabilize a planetary core, causing a world to literally fracture.

: Message for Jedi.

: Hi, sorry to interrupt. My name's Fauler. I was told you might be passing through. I represent the Republic here. Since we don't get many Jedi, I thought we could meet. I think we should talk get my meaning.

: If you want to talk, talk.

: Here's the thing I'd rather not do this by holo communicator. I've got a little ah, embassy in downtown Anchorhead. Swing on by I promise you it's worthwhile.

: I can't commit to this but I'll see what I can do.

: Good to hear it. The sooner, the better. This is much bigger than some local trouble. Fauler out.

: It's too hot I can feel my skin burning already. It'll be peeling off soon.

:T7's servomotors = clogged with sand // T7 = hates sand

: Wusses, I think it just the right temperature for a change . If your skin's really that bothering you slap some SPF 4000 on there and you droid can have an oil bath when we're done.

Some time later at the Republic "Embassy"

Video version

: L--leave me alone! I haven't done anything to you!

: You stole corporate documents, Kamus. Czerka doesn't take industrial sabotage lightly.

: Contact! Subject is... subject is a Jedi! What are your orders, sir?

: You know the drill-- no survivors, no leaks.

: If you want a fight, you've got it.

: Open Fire!

: Aaaaah!

: Is it safe? Are they dead?

: It's going to be ok now.

: I-I thought I was dead for sure. I... I've gotta... whew... breathing, jus--jus--just keep breathing...

: My name is Kamus Orden, I used to be an accountant. My company sent those men to kill me. It's a Czerka Corporation severance package....

: What happened in here? Come on, Kamus, you know how I feel about corpses in my workspace.

: You! You were supposed to be here! You swore I'd be protected!

Sorry, Kamus. As an official "Republic representative." I have to at least look like I'm being diplomatic with the locals.

: You're the man I spoke to earlier. Care to explain?

: Huh I take it you saved Kamus. Thanks. You're probably catching on that we're a bit understaffed- and that I'm not really a bureaucrat.

: It took you a month to tell me that.

: This is a Republic Strategic Information Service project-- a covert operation. It's a major assignment. Mystery, corporate scandal and incredibly dangerous tech--with a lot of lives on the line. You could make all the difference.

: I'm listening-- for now.

: This all started when Kamus forwarded some Czerka Corporation documents to his local Republic security office. Now we've been watching Czerka awhile--they've buried a lot of scandals, done a lot of dirty deals--but this was something special.

: The documents were mixed in with old expense reports. They described a billion-credit research facility for "the study of a type-seven device."

: "Type-seven device" being Czerka shorthand for "device capable of eliminating a planetary population"

: This is why Czerka wants you dead?

Yes, that's right.

: Turns out they abandoned the project decades ago. We're lucky to know the facility was here on Tatooine. So, Kamus and I came to find whatever doomsday device Czerka had and keep them from burying the evidence--and us.

: If the device is on Tatooine, then what are we waiting around for?

: From what we could find, sounds like the device went haywire, and Czerka bailed rather than try and clean it up. Now clues to Czerka's operation have been extremely hard to come by. Impossible, as a matter of fact. We've got one avenue left, but it's too dangerous for Kamus or me--an old compound Czerka used as a staging area.

: Tell me what I'm facing, and I'll be on my way.

: After Czerka left, the compound was taken over by a gang of Gamorrean raiders who, I discovered, don't appreciate visitors. Still, judging by these dead guys here, you might be able to push past the Gamorreans and search Czerka's old storage archives-- gather any data left.

: What is a Gamorrean, exactly?

: Nasty humanoids, almost two meters tall. Brutal, but not very bright.

: Be careful! Finding the files that Czerka left in that compound is important, but don't get killed.

: Couldn't have said it better myself.

We flew out to some dingy little outpost that had the virtue of being not more than a short speeder ride from the Gamorrean compound.

The compound was crawling with pig-men and Czerka rent-a-cops but fighting my way deep into the base was not much of a problem.

The pictures, They move!

In the depths of the complex Czerka was apparently trying to trade with the Gamorreans. Seemed somewhat strange to me I thought they'd just kill the lot of them and take the data from their corpses.

: So what do you say? Do we have a deal?

: It is good bargain. Czerka gives us weapons and speeders. We give you data.

: Marvellous! I have no idea what you just said, my indelicate friend but, marvellous!

: Sir! Intruders!

: Well! You don't look like you're part of Shurg's little Gamorrean clan.

: Shurg's little clan is in a bunch of little pieces.

: You insult Shurg's clan! You will be cut apart!

: Bring it, Porky

: That seems to have upset him--but I could be mistaken. So let me guess--you're here because of Kamus, hm? That little rat does know how to squeak. Of course, I can't have you interupting my deal. I'd murder you myself, but that's just not possible right now.

: Who are you? What are you?

: Well! That's a bit personal. Maybe another time. The rest of you can deal with this interruption. I'll be in touch later.

: Scrawny thing going to die!

One Boring fight later...

: Right, let's grab the data and get out.

Later, back at the Republic "embassy"

: I'll feel a lot better when we change bases, Fauler. I don't like this.

: You say that now, but just wait until you see the real desert. Hey, look whose back! And alive! You able to find anything?

: I found you data--along with Gamorreans and a Czerka strike team.

: Blast. Guess they must be one-step ahead of us.

: Ah, Master Fauler? It looks like there's a call coming in...

: Why, hello everyone! Master Fauler! Master Orden! And my little visitor from the Gamorrean hideout-especially nice to see you again. You're doing well, I hope?

: Let's cut to the chase. Be direct. Tell me what it is you want.

: Since I didn't get the chance before, i thought I'd formally introduce myself. I am Gayem Leksende, here on behalf of Czerka Corporation.

: I know that name.

: I understand that the Republic is disrupting Czerka's property rights. I've come to Tatooine to retrieve our belongings--including Kamus Orden.

: You're after more than an accountant.

: Perhaps, but one has to start somewhere. Czerka will take any actions necessary to protect its interests. Ad I assure you our representatives in the Senate can excuse any "incidents"

: Leksende--they say he's the son of an executive. He's supposed to run the company's special enforcement branch.

: Rich boy who took up wetworks as a hobby. Up to his neck in cybernetics. Literally, I even heard he has a cybernetically enhanced... Ahem! Never mind. Good news, Czerka wouldn't have sent him if we were on the wrong track. He wants to keep us from the old facility. Look Kamus and I could use some time to review this data, but I still need you. If you're heading into the desert, give me a call.

: You expect to find something out there?

: I have suspicions. Hoping these files will confirm them. You can reach me from a secure line at one of the militia bases. We'll talk soon.

: Wait I feel like I'm forgetting something important... what was it... Oh, Yeah! there's another missing superweapon. Can't anyone on this planet hold on to their planet destroying tech?

End Recording

Bonus Content

quote:

To: R'andayn <Atlasforcepushed@Jedi.ac >
Subject: A Job Well Done

Congratulations on ending Lord Sadic's wretched existence on Nar Shaddaa--one less rival standing between me and Darth Angral's favor. I guess I owe you for that, and I always pay my debts.

Sadic was a fool to challenge you head-on. If our paths happen to cross, I don't intend to make the same mistake. Watch your back, Jedi!

Lord Nefarid

quote:

To: R'andayn <Atlasforcepushed@Jedi.ac >
Subject: Status Update

Something you might be interested in. Unofficially, of course.

SIS recovered the body of Agent Galen on Nar Shaddaa. What Lord Sadic did to him was horrible; he was more machine than man in the end. But by studying his remains, we've learned a lot about cybernetics and the Power Guard Project. Stuff we can use against the Empire. Galen may be gone, but at least his death had some meaning.

S.A. Tander

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 25, 2013