Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #040
Stardate: What's big, brown, covered in hair and just signed on to my crew?

Drooga'd parked his flying party on the edge of Shadow Town. I have no idea what the fun in watching miserable Imperial prisoners is, but if anyone would give it a shot it'd be Drooga.

It seemed like his party was finally winding down. Maybe it was his choice of venue. Maybe even Hutts need to sleep some time?

Point is, the last time we got in front of Drooga, there was just the hardcore partiers left. Time to wrap things up.

Recommended for tying up loose ends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDiJP_zce8

quote:

Quinine: Did the female shanjaru fly here?

Ga'ram: The repulsorlift cage made a dramatic entrance during the twenty-seventh course.

Ga'ram: The great feastmaster was excessively delighted by his female specimen's return. As we assured you, his interest in your shanjaru is renewed.

Ga'ram: Drooga has already contacted your associate to arrange the details.

quote:

Drooga the Hutt: At last, I have a matching set of shanjaru! The only surviving male and female of an entire species are all mine!

Quinine: You could repopulate the galaxy. Give the beasts a second chance.

Drooga the Hutt: Why would I do that? They're a failed species. They deserve to become extinct!

I'd be careful with that failed species talk, Drooga. Try putting a Hutt and a shanjaru in the same cage, see who goes extinct.

quote:

Drooga the Hutt: I've sent your starship engine to the spaceport, beautiful Risha. Come – celebrate our deal!

Risha: Love to, but I need to install that prototype engine. Maybe next time?

After all the trouble Risha's deal put me through, it was only fair I make her squirm a little too.

quote:

Drooga the Hutt: The next time you come to Nar Shaddaa, beautiful Risha, I'll expect you to dance with me.

Risha: It's a date, Drooga. Come see me when you're ready to lift off, Captain.

quote:

Bowdaar: You poisoned me, Hutt!

Ga'ram: The Wookie's final performance begins.

I know, I know. I figured even a Hutt had standards.

quote:

Ga'ram: If by “free” you mean dead, then yes.

Ga'ram: The gambler refuses to repay his debt to Drooga, so the Wookie is now property of the Great Feastmaster.

quote:

Drooga the Hutt: Will the gundark swallow the Wookie whole, or chew? If he chews, how many bites will it take? Such drama!

Quinine: This isn't entertainment, it's an execution. How much to get Bowdaar off the hook?

Drooga the Hutt: Credits no longer interest me, only drama! Prepare for death, mighty Bowdaar!

Quinine: This is about to get real ugly for you.

I was this close to just blasting Drooga already, but much as I wouldn't miss him the Cartel would. I'd rather not be blacklisted from Hutt worlds just yet, if I can avoid it.

Nobody was in a hurry to stop us from backing Bowdaar, though. Maybe the Cartel guards didn't like the idea of getting between a Wookie and a gundark, or maybe they figured two dirty spacers would barely make for an appetizer on the beast's way to a Wookie main course.

No idea what gave them that idea.

Gotta give Bowdaar credit, even poisoned he doesn't give up easily.

So, fighting gundarks. Everybody always talks about their big, stupid ears, but in a fight they don't really count for much. It's the giant clawed fists and mouth big enough to bite your head clean off you need to keep your eye on.

If you can, bring a Wookie – they're strong enough to take a gundark's punch to the chest and keep going, or stick a vibrosword straight through their hide. Failing that, find a close friend and put them in the finest merc armour (some) money can buy, and promise to buy the next round if he survives the beating.

It wasn't easy, but sure enough the three of us brought the gundark down. Corso wheezed something out about clipping off its ears for a necklace, but I figured we'd want to get out of Drooga's lair as fast as possible after killing his favorite pet.

We wouldn't be leaving alone, though.

quote:

Quinine: Bowdaar is under my protection.

Drooga the Hutt: You and this Wookie are boring and expensive to maintain! Get out of my sight, both of you!

Much as having my own Wookie sidekick sounded like the best muscle a smuggler could ask for, I'm no slaver. Bowdaar'd more than earned the chance to make his own decisions.

quote:

Quinine: My life is full of trouble, Bowdaar. If you want to tag along, that's your choice.

Bowdaar: There is no choice. You set Bowdaar free.

Works for me!

Corso tried to be a downer, but I think he's got a soft spot for the big guy too. And if the smell's really a problem, he could always try giving Bowdaar a bath. I could probably sell tickets to that fight.

quote:

Bowdaar: Bowdaar defends and honors you, friend. Always.

Ga'ram: We do not understand the value you place on this beast, but we will see to it he reaches your starship safely.

And one last reminder that Ga'ram's as much a slug as his big, slug-shaped master before we leave.

Believe me, buddy, we cross paths again and we'll just see who gets “stimulated”.

Wait, hold on, that didn't come out right. Glad I didn't say that one out loud.

So that's it for Nar Shaddaa, right? I'd taken care of Republic interests, gotten Risha's engine, offloaded a smelly beast and picked up a slightly less smelly Wookie – seems like a job well done. Well, at least done.

Not quite, turns out.

And cue the panic in three, two...

Recommended for one of the great dangers to the spacer lifestyle - commitment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvAy81qwbs

quote:

Quinine: What are you doing here?

Azalie: I tracked down your docking bay number. I knew you'd come back here eventually.

Azalie: Didn't the hours we spent together mean anything to you?

Quinine: This were some of the best hours of my life.

If you've ever wanted to see what I look like with my mouth running ahead of my brain, this is it.

And this is why I really need to start showing more some discretion. Can you imagine Azalie living on a smuggler freighter? Or me going to meet her CEO father? Of course, trying to explain that now would be a little cold. Thank the Force I came up with another out.

quote:

Quinine: I don't want you getting hurt.

Azalie: I... I understand. You lead a dangerous life, don't you?

Azalie: You wanted to protect me, and it was too painful to say goodbye. That's what you're trying to tell me?

Quinine: This is for the best. Trust me.

Corso's swearing up and down that one chop-shop doc was right, I must be a Jedi in disguise. Even without a mind trick, my silver tongue can usually get me out of whatever trouble it also gets me into. Still though, yeesh, this won't go down as one of my prouder memories. Try not to fall for the next guy like me you meet, Azalie.

That run-in with Azalie was the perfect capstone to my time on Nar Shaddaa. Just goes to show you that below the glitzy neon lights and bright colours there's an endless supply of murder, war, torture and clingy stalkers.

Away from this city of temptation and depravity! Let's go spread that stuff around somewhere new. I don't know where Risha's sending us next, but whatever nightmare hole she's got in store for us at least the trip'll give me time to get Bowdaar settled in. I think I'll start by asking him to put C2-N2's arms back on.

##End Log##