Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 37: “SEE YOU IN HELL, CHARLES DARWIN!”

Previously posted:

The SAND PEOPLE are on the rampage, launching brutal attacks against the isolated settlements of TATOOINE. This may be almost certainly is linked to the disappearance of Jedi anthropologist MASTER ERIZ VOSSAN, who seems to have some sort of EVIL LAWRENCE OF ARABIA thing going. Following the advice of a beleaguered MALCOLM, the young Jedi JOLUNE MOL'NEUX travels to a fortified cave system in search of the missing Master...

: Oh good, it's the traditional Sand People greeting. A shot between the eyes.

: This must be the gloomiest place on Tatooine. Why are the Sand People even here? They're Sand People, not Rock People.

: Kind of space racist there, Jolune.

: Who really cares though, considering the Sand People are all total dicks?

: They have a long and glorious history of being total dicks, which I can respect.

: That's... different.

: Lighting rigs... gantrys... sculptures... ethnic pottery... sand... violence... This reminds me of Burning Man.

: *cough* Alright, so what did I miss?

: All the fighting. Good timing, by the way.

: Knock it off, Tharan... I think we're here.

[VIDEO: The Blueprint]

: These people, these marvellous, marvellous specimens, have been tested—no, purified--in the crucible of Tatooine's harsh environs.

: What do you mean “blueprint”?

: They are simple, but long after the Empire and Republic are gone, these people will remain.

: So will cockroaches, but no one sings hymns about them.

: Cockroaches can't win wars.

: The Jedi Order has a responsibility to weak and strong alike.

: How can I make you understand? They are the ultimate warriors, purified by hardship. We must follow their example, and cut away everything that would make us weak in the face of our adversaries-- the frail, the diseased!

: I have no choice. We must fortify the Republic with its strongest members, and send this army of light out against the darkness.

: An army of light that neglects the weak is no longer light.

: Objectio- oh, sh-!

: So “cast out” is a euphemism for “horribly killed” right? Just checking.

Master Vossan is the first Consular boss I would describe as challenging. He's a dual saber wielding Sentinel, so he can put out a lot of damage, and he's backed up by three Sand People Ragers. No, I don't know what they're angry about either.

Best way to start this fight is to use Force Lift to incapacitate Vossan quickly then take out his Sand People flunkies, who seem weak but can deal an irritatingly high amount of damage if you leave them be.

Once they're dead, focus on Vossan. He has a ton of HP and deals high damage with even his regular attacks, as well as having an AoE attack centred on himself and a bleeding damage effect he can apply to his normal strikes. He can also knock a character down for a time, preventing them from taking action, which can be a pain if you need healing.

He isn't especially difficult if you're patient (or if you remember to use your Heroic Moment ability) but his dps and the number of allies he brings to the fight can be a surprise.

Rowan just stands there for the whole fight too. He could've at least dropped a few grenades!

[VIDEO: So Ungrateful]

: I hear Lord Vivicar's voice. I've failed him, just as I failed my old friend Parkanas, when he died.

: Why does everyone mention Parkanas?

: I don't know. But I keep thinking about our first mission, our ill-fated mission to Malachor Three.

: As we tried to escape, I fell behind, and he ran back to save me. He became trapped-- we had to leave him. It was my weakness that killed him.

: It's hard to lose a friend like that, but you have to move on.

: I am trying to, that is the purpose of this project.

: Your friend died saving you, so now everyone should stop being selfless? R'andayn would love you.

: You must kill me-- I was weak on Malachor Three, and I'm weak now. But you must take my findings before the Council! Promise me that!

: R'andayn would really love you. But I'm not her. Let's see how you feel once Lord Vivicar no longer has a hold on you.

You can choose to kill instead of cure him, the same as with the previous Masters. Something that's been bothering me though- you've only been sent on this mission because you alone have the cure... but you could be choosing to kill them all... so if you did choose to kill them all, why would the Council keep sending you after the infected Masters? “Oh, I'm sure she'll choose to not murder them this time.”
:psyduck:

: So.. er... Should we be doing something?

: No, this is normal.

: You folks have a funny idea of normal.

: You should meet my girlfriend.

: yayyyyy

: I almost-- I almost wish you hadn't done that.

: Of all the ungrateful, impudent! This Jedi saved your life!

: Lord Vivicar twisted my mind, and I'm glad to be free of him; still, my discovery remains. From these Sand People, I have learned the key to building the unstoppable army. I feel I must bring these findings to the Republic, yet I can't shake this feeling that some truths are best buried in the sand.

: Ugggh, this again?

MORALITY CHOICE: Do the ends justify the blah-de-blah blah? (the answer is maybe)

: Also, the Sand People haven't been able to conquer Tatooine in ten thousand years, despite the only opposition being Jawas and yokels...

: Hey!

: ... so maybe they're not quite the ultimate warriors you think they are.

: You're right. These records... are no more.

: Well, Jedi, I'm glad Master Eriz is alive and his old self. I'd best get back to Anchorhead myself. Sand Rot's acting up, and frankly, I sort of miss Darth Nurse's hollering.

: Thank you for all that you've done.

(robe glitch!)

BACK AT ANCHORHEAD SPACEPORT...

: Time to say “goodbye” to Tatooine.

: Goodbye isn't final enough. I think it's time to say “I will never return to this worthless dustball for as long as I live” to Tatooine.

: How's the rugged adventurer lifestyle working out for you then?

: Poorly.

: Me too. I'll be glad of a soft bed and a hot bath, assuming Fixy hasn't set fire to the bathroom again... Wait, is that...?

: What are you doing Seetoo?

: Just cataloguing Master Fess' remaining possessions. Which are outside the ship because... they... needed some air. I definitely didn't sell them to Pelkan gangsters. Nor did I have to win them back in a game of Klovakian Three-Card Suicide. Incidentally, isn't it a relief Master Fess turned out to be alive? I was so happy when I heard the news. So, so happy.

: I'm sure you were. Get everything on board, we're leaving.

: Splendid. Oh, and a package arrived for Master Cedrax. I left it in his quarters.

SO...

: We have a mystery. A package was hand-delivered to the ship. No name—aside from mine—no return address. The package contained a letter on flimsiplast, or space paper if you prefer, sealed inside a glass capsule. Nothing else.

: Maybe the letter has some answers.

: The capsule has a marvellously puzzling lock, I've never seen such craftsmanship. Once I get it open and read the letter, hopefully I can assuage my curiosity.

: Probably some old flame getting revenge on Tharan.

: They know better than to try getting Tharan's attention again.

: Plus, my exes tend to favour the direct approach-- you know; poison darts, nano-garottes, fuel-air explosives-- the usual fun and games.

: :stare:

: We need to check in with the boss first. You can play with the Lament Configuration later.

: He speaks of discoveries on Tatooine. We intend to hear his full report when he returns to Coruscant.

: Spoilers: pain makes you strong, charity makes you weak, Parkanas was a real cool dude.

: Parkanas? Did you discover anything more about the plaguemaster--

: Plague Lord.

: Plaguemaster--this Lord Vivicar?

: A connection between the events on Malachor Three and our current circumstances is clearly forming.

: No, really?

: Your sarcasm is noted. The Council will continue its own investigation into the matter. Meanwhile, hurry to Alderaan. So long as Lord Vivicar has control of even one Master, he will grow in power.

: I understand perfectly.

: Time for a new world!

: Blast off!

*VWOOOOOOSHHHH!*

: Where is all my stuff?

NEXT TIME: Diplomatic Impunity.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Sand People posted:

A violently xenophobic species from Tatooine, the Sand People are more formally referred to as the Ghorfa. Most at home in Tatooine’s endless deserts and canyons, the nomadic Sand People survive by hunting and raiding larger settlements and by raising banthas as mounts and for food, milk and materials. To outsiders, they can appear incomprehensibly hostile–but while virtually all encounters with Sand People end in violence, their culture is more complex internally. Sand People have strict taboos against showing exposed flesh except in very rare and specific circumstances and keep themselves wrapped in heavy coverings. Those who violate this sacred custom are banished from the tribe; a fate that typically ends in a lonely death in the desert. Despite their insular nature, Sand People are known to adopt and raise young children of other species orphaned by their attacks. Once these orphans reach adulthood, they are encouraged to leave the tribe and return to their own people. The history of the Sand People is maintained through the tales of revered tribal storytellers. Many of their legends describe a golden age of technological miracles, seemingly indicating the Sand People were once a highly advanced civilization. This had led to speculation that the Ghorfa are descended from the now extinct Kumumgah species that lived on Tatooine roughly thirty thousand years ago.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 14, 2014