Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #049
Stardate: Out of frying pan, enroute to fire

We found Diago’s “summer palace” easy enough – you could see it from Salara, built up on top of the canyon wall. Every settler we saw on the way warned us to turn back. Seems like Diago’s got a bit of a reputation.

The place was just as impressive on the inside. Built to withstand a siege, it was a fully-fortified compound with vaporators and power generators.

Not to mention Diago’s private army of bruisers and plenty of heavy gear.

If he’d wanted to, Diago had enough muscle to be king of every settler in a thousand miles. He could’ve brought Anchorhead to its knees, but instead he hides himself away. I never thought a hermit could run a criminal empire.

I figured Diago’d be waiting for us in the palace, or maybe Tookreek’d be outside his chambers waiting for the fang. Turns out I was in for a bit of a surprise.

quote:

Tookreek: I’m deeply impressed with how you handled those Geonosians, Captain.

Quinine: Remember that Sith we heard about? She controls the Geonosians – and she wants to meet Diago.

Tookreek: The Sith is behind the attacks on our operation? How do you know?

Quinine: She promised a reward if I got her some face time with Diago.

Is it “wise sayings about Jedi and Sith” day, or something? Hold on, I’ve got one – “The best lies are ones the teller believes to be true”. How’d that sound?

quote:

Tookreek: Let’s hope the Jedi from my club puts the Sith out of our misery.

Tookreek: We’re going to an underground water well the natives call the Lightspring. The boss turned it into his private retreat.

He’s got a whole palace, an army of thugs scared to death of him, and where does he spend his time? A cave. That’s some committed misanthropy.

quote:

Brazzer: They’re tearing us apart - breaching the security doors! Agh!

Tookreek: Diago will be furious if this palace falls to the Empire. Only one thing to do…

I can see how Tookreek survived working for Diago for so long, but I can’t say I was looking forward to fighting my way through an Imperial ambush either.

quote:

Quinine: You’re gonna leave me to clean this up?

Tookreek: I’m not abandoning you. I just don’t want to die.

Tookreek’s share of the fame is dropping all the time.

Not much time to cuss him out, though. Imperial commandos were rolling straight through the front door, pasting any of Diago’s gang who didn’t turn tail and run.

Normally an Imperial commando unit is a death sentence for cornered gangsters and the like, but me and Bowdaar have a lot of experience with death sentences at this point.

We were almost out the front gates when I heard something go off. A comm buzzer sounds a lot like a jury-rigged bomb detonator, so forgive my jumpiness. Turns out someone was just trying to give me a call. Guess who?

Ayup. Vaverone got tired of playing games with her Geonosians and decided to play rough.

quote:

Quinine: I just shot a few of your pals. Hope you don’t mind.

Vaverone Zare: They weren’t that good friends.

Vaverone Zare: You promised to arrange a meeting for me with Diago. I want it. Now.

Quinine: I’m through with you. Get lost.

If Bowdaar and Tookreek knowing better than me weren’t reason enough, getting beaten over the head by an Imperial commando team did the trick. No matter how hot she is, she’s a Sith Lord. Don’t make deals with sexy, sexy devils.

quote:

Vaverone Zare: I’m afraid I have no choice but to order my soldiers to kill you.

Believe me, this isn’t how I wanted this to end, and not just because me and Bowdaar were staring down a few squads of the Empire’s finest. Even a womanizing scoundrel has to show restraint from time to time.

Oh, also I guess maybe she’s planning on doing something evil with that box. The one Diago has, I mean.

We got outside only to see the whole palace’d been overrun. Diago’s gang still had some combat droids up trying to hold the courtyard, but…

Well, the Empire’s got a reputation for being thorough.

Me and Bowdaar made sure to stay as close as we could to the commandos. Most of them weren’t ready for a brawl anyway, and it meant a few fewer shells landing on our heads.

I can’t remember where along the way I started seeing an Imperial hit-squad as a challenge instead of certain death, but I’m not complaining. All these Imperial entanglements is the job’s biggest perk. If only they carried more credits on them…

We were making our break for the canyon before Vaverone could call up another wave of mooks, only to spot a familiar face fight her way past the commandos guarding the gate.

Looks like everybody’s favorite naïve Jedi got a late invite to the party. I don’t know how she heard about it, but I wasn’t complaining either.

quote:

Quinine: I need some Jedi healing, right away.

Nariel Pridence: Hm… I don’t see any visible wounds, but better safe than sorry.

Now that’s the good stuff. Nariel’s topped my list for Jedi healing action (Sorry, Jolune!) – she even cleared up my canker sore and that one rash.

quote:

Quinine: What do you say we do that some more?

Nariel Pridence: There’s no need. I can sense you’re on the mend.

Nariel Pridence: I’m disappointed to see you in this place after our last conversation.

Nariel Pridence: I thought you’d learned to stop associating with criminals. Why are you here?

Quinine: Vaverone Zare is after something the local crime lord has: a red box.

The Sith’d already shown she could snuff me with a wave of her hand. I figured at this point, if Vaverone’s going to be on my tail I’ll want Nariel close by to take her out.

quote:

Nariel Pridence: I don’t suppose you’d know anything about my enemy’s present whereabouts?

Quinine: I’m going to a desert cavern called the Lightspring. Diago Hixan is there.

Nariel Pridence: The crime lord? Zare is looking for him.

Yeah, Nariel, I know. I just told you that!

quote:

Nariel Pridence: Stay here. When I confront Zare, it will be a horrific battle. You won’t want to be around.

It’s cute she thinks she’s got to protect me like that, a Jedi in shining armor looking out for all us little people. I’ve dug too much sand out of my boots to turn back now, though. Time to find the Lightspring and get Diago’s sensor computer, no matter how many beautiful women stand in my way!

##End Log##