Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #050
Stardate: Staying cool under pressure

Tricky job today. You wouldn’t think there’d be much work out in the desert, but you’d be wrong.

Welcome to the Dune Sea. Obviously named by somebody with a sense of humour. It’s sand as far as the eye can see, and then for another half a planet or so. The perfect place to get away from it all, or it would be if there weren’t so much going on.

Our first stop on the search for the Lightspring was a local fort. The militia holding it were friendly to the Republic, seems some friends of mine had been through and made life a little easier for them. Everybody’d heard of the Lightspring and were happy to give us some directions, but the fort’s head honcho picked me out for a little favor.

quote:

Lem Trudo: I’m Commander Trudo. Some out here insist the Imperials don’t plan to stay. I say once their excavations are complete, they’ll conquer Anchorhead!

Lem Trudo: But you… you could help hold them off, make sure they’re too busy with the Sand People to notice us.

Quinine: What do Sand People have to do with this?

Lem Trudo: Not just any Sand People – this is the most vicious tribe on Tatooine.

I could see where he was going with this. Propping up somebody to fight your battles for you is one of the Empire’s favorite games. I’d love to turn the tables on ‘em for a change.

quote:

Lem Trudo: The Empire’s poisoning their water, thinning them out as we speak. Pains me to say it, but we’ve got to help them…

It’s like the Captain always used to say – the enemy of my enemy can do all the work, just stay out of their way.

quote:

Lem Trudo: Right, but we’ve got to help them or they won’t be around long.

Lem Trudo: I’ve got some water cleanser here, should be enough to clean their tainted wells. Of course, they’ll try to kill you while you do it.

Lem Trudo: Still, if that tribe of Sand People fall, a lot of innocent people are next.

Quinine: That’s one tribe of Sand People that won’t fall to the Empire. I’ll make sure of it.

Poison’s exactly the sort of low the Empire’d stoop to, they’re not bothered about killing everyone in a whole tribe right down to the children. I don’t know much about these Sand People or their beef with the settlers, but I’m not one to stand by when the Empire’s working up mass-murder. And if the Sand People keep attacking Imperial outposts and patrols? Bonus.

We found the tribe out in the deep desert, near a rocky outcropping with a wellspring. They didn’t seem like much, especially against the Empire, but I know what a few dozen dedicated guerillas who know their territory can do to conventional forces. So long as they’re giving the Empire hell, however they do it is okay by me.

Of course, it also meant we didn’t want to tangle with them, and not just because they looked like nasty fighters. The whole point of the operation was to keep ‘em strong and mad at the Empire.

It looks like some time back some settlers built a water pump and filter into the wellspring. Must’ve made it all the easier for the Empire to mix in their poison. I dumped in the cleanser and me and Bowdaar got the hell out with the Sand People none the wiser.

quote:

Lem Trudo: Bet the Imps are furious after what you pulled!

Quinine: Always glad to dig a thorn deeper into the Empire’s side.

Lem Trudo: They’ll be nursing that wound for a long time. I’m sure of it.

That should leave the Empire with a nice, unexpected mess to deal with. It’ll be weeks before they realize the poison didn’t work, and all the while those Sand People’ll bleed their operation and keep the Empire off the settlers’ backs. Let's see if the Empire can give a proper fight instead of taking the coward's way out.

Once we’ve restocked on supplies, it’s off to the Lightspring to find Diago. I haven’t seen Nariel, but I haven’t seen Vaverone either. Hope I haven’t missed the party with this little detour, it could be one hell of a catfight.

##End Log##

[That's it for updates until I can get my laptop working again, which will hopefully be this week. While I've got this space going I'll just say I find it a bit funny how blase this quest is about using the Sand People as a buffer and letting the Empire kill them. Quinine may be cool with it, but it's probably one of the more blatantly Imperialist (the actual word, not the Star Wars one) things the Republic does.]