Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #053
Stardate: Looking into tinfoil hats

This day got off on a good start but got weird fast. Checking yourself for signs of hypnosis weird. Let’s start with the good stuff, that was probably the most luxurious night of my life – even if I did get woken up half-way through to explain I’m not a rakghoul carrier. If this is how the galaxy’s rich and powerful live, sign me up.

quote:

Quinine: This was great, but it’s time for me to go.

Cedonia Teraan: Already have one foot back on your ship. I wonder what sort of woman it will take to settle you down…

If you figure it out, let me know. In the meantime I'll keep looking the old-fashioned way.

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: This datapad contains your payment for delivering the droid. It’s the schematic for a powerful anti-radiation shield invented by House Teraan.

Cedonia Teraan: The shield will protect your starship from lethal cosmic rays. You should give the datapad to your business partner Risha.

Quinine: What’s she going to do with it?

The one time somebody explaining what’s going on and what I’m supposed to do again would be useful, and I miss out. Risha’s mystery plan’s gotta be close to complete by now, and all she’s had me doing is upgrade my ship. Does she need me to do something with it? Go somewhere?

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: I also have your reward for recovering our family’s heirlooms. I’m especially grateful for those.

So long, lady Cedonia. For an aristocrat, she was actually pretty okay. Here’s hoping her and her brother get that money they’re owed back instead of getting assassinated the moment they stick their necks out. Okay, maybe Lenn can eat it.

But anyway, that’s all for now at castle Organa, which is good because it was only a matter of time before someone important got sick of us stinking up the place. We’d got Risha’s plans from the Teraans, but she had one more delivery for us on Alderaan.

When we got back, turns out she was already getting ready to build and install the shield. She must be gaining confidence in my ability to get the job done. We swapped reports and cargo.

Recommended for not losing your head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnY3WBaGRU

quote:

Quinine: That Cedonia was really something.

Risha: Is she your “type”, Captain? Interesting. She always seemed a little coldhearted to me.

We-hell, claws come out. Although drat if this isn’t the lightless void between stars calling the kettle black.

quote:

Risha: Peema is at House Alde’s estate. You’ll have to sneak through some tough battle zones to get there.

Quinine: Why does some noble need a head in a jar?

Risha: It’s a history thing. If you’re that interested, ask Peema. His lectures are thrilling.

To be honest, I was just relieved to find out the drat thing was one of Risha’s swap-meet trinkents and not something super-creepy, like her dad’s head. I’m not the only one glad to see the back of it, either.

Corso saying what we’re all thinking, plus having nightmares about. Whenever it’s around I keep feeling like somebody nearby’s whispering, and I’ve had too many run-ins with the Force lately to ignore that kind of warning sign. The last thing I need is another Vaverone coming after me.

And that’s that. I loaded up the head in my speeder and we took off for House Alde. It’s a long trip, though, and what with the civil war we’ve had to inch along one outpost at a time. Our first stop’s just outside of Organa home territory, the “Alsakan Lowlands”.

The Organas and some Republic forces have a base in the area we used for a rest stop and to figure out the next leg of our trip. As always, though, I went wandering around and stumbled into someone who could use a blaster - or in this case, maybe a big can of bug-spray.

quote:

Skohani Ren: Please, I need your help.

Skohani Ren: This man is in the process of being joined to the Killiks. I’ve tried everything, but he’s beyond my power.

Quinine: I’ve seen Chiss with better color.

Skohani Ren: Please. He may be unconscious, but he can still hear us.

Uh, no, that’s what unconscious means. I should know, I’ve been knocked around enough.

quote:

Skohani Ren: If this man is joined to the Killiks, he’ll share their thoughts, their feelings… all at the cost of his own.

Skohani Ren: If the hive was distracted, maybe I could repel them. A surprise attack or raid… but I can’t leave him.

Quinine: Let me handle that for you.

Like I could leave this poor guy hanging, waiting to get his brain mushed into the bug collective.

Funny how when you hear about glamorous, sophisticated Alderaan in the rest of the galaxy, they always leave out the Killiks. I’ve been from one side of the galaxy to the other and seen a lot of strange stuff, but getting forced to join an alien hive-mind is probably one of the scariest.

The war’s probably let the Killiks get out of control, too. We found ‘em overrunning an Alderaanian estate – looks like they’d popped out of a nearby hive and taken the place over one day, and nobody had the troops to spare to push them back.

Well, me and Corso didn’t let them have everything their own way. They made for a weird fight, since some of them were bugs that walked like us and fought with blasters, while others were basically huge slugs. They must’ve been distracted, too, since our raid seemed to go unnoticed for a while even with Corso whooping and hollering.

Kicking their eggs over, now that made them mad. They started coming up out of the ground, so we decided that probably meant mission accomplished and got the hell out of there before our brains got gunked up with Killik goop.

quote:

Skohani Ren: The hive mind was distracted. The Killiks lost their hold on him, with my help.

Glad this story has a happy ending, and not just for that Organa guy’s sake. It means if I have another run-in with Killiks on this planet there’s a way to reverse getting my brain messed up on pheromones. Admittedly I’d have to find a Jedi, but now one of them owes me a favor.

Still, the whole encounter made me and Corso pretty uneasy. How’re you supposed to know if you’re being brainwashed, anyway? Does it feel anything like having a whispering severed head in your glove compartment? Ugh, let’s wrap this deal up quick.

##End Log##

Dolash fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 24, 2013