Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 42: RETURN TO SENDER

Previously posted:

Victory? The JEDI MASTERS infected by the DARK PLAGUE have all been cured, but the location of LORD VIVICAR, the mysterious PLAGUE MASTER PLAGUE LORD remains unknown. JOLUNE MOL'NEUX returns to TYTHON to seek the advice of the JEDI COUNCIL...

: We're on our way. Tython... it's been a while.

: Jedi! We need to talk! It's about science!

[VIDEO: Smokey]

: I thought applying it to the letter was the answer. But when I tried, it completely dissolved. We are left only with vapors.

: An awful lot of vapors. We've vented the atmosphere twice and the ship still smells like an outflow pipe.

: And I am genuinely slightly apologetic about that. It was all for naught anyway.

: There must be something else you can try.

: That chemical is the answer, I know it! But without another lead... Wait!

: Is there anything I can do to help?

: Your generosity does you credit, but I have everything under control.

: I hope so. We don't have enough oxygen left to vent the atmosphere again.

:science: HAPPENS...

: Converting the chemical to a gas was the ticket. We managed to fill the capsule. And not the ship.

: And all these words started glowing on the inside. We found the real message! Isn't that super!

: You must be very proud of yourselves.

: It gets better.

(Note: For those of you who don't watch the videos, Tharan's VA for this next bit is pure, weaponized :smug:)

: The Lumenatus Club only accepts the best. The pioneers in their field. All these years in obscurity, and my genius has finally been recognized!

: This all seems rather extravagant for a simple invitation. Even if it is to the Space Illuminati.

: A test, obviously. The Lumenatus Club's final exam, as it were. This means I can enter the Club's annual symposium-- my creations against those of my fellow scientists.

: Ooh! Make a potato clock! Everyone loves them!

: ...

: Sounds like you got something in mind.

: I think universal adoration and the symposium's grand prize are worth pursuing, don't you?

: Like a potato clock!

: No.

: Lemon clock?

: :frogout:

LATER...

: …but I thought Master Timmns was off on some secret mission somewhere? Are you sure it was him?

: I dunno. It's probably nothing. Anyway, what were you up to on Tatooine?

: Eh, hunting ancient relics of improbable evil. You know, the usual.

: How did it go?

: It went...

: ...poorly. All worked out in the end though, thanks to a local smuggler.

: This smuggler... wouldn't happen to have big sideburns? A moustache? Scars on one side of his face? Terrible pick-up lines?

: That's him! You know him?

: Kind of? …You must've been the blonde Jedi he was talking about. What happened between you two?

: Aw, he was really trying, but I had to let him down gently..

: ...You know, the old beep-boop-what-are-emotions routine.

: Funny, that's not the way Quinine described it. His version had a lot more... um... passion.

: ...What?

: Ah... Well... Oh! We're coming up on Tython! Got to go! Speak to you later, Nariel!

: Wai-! *bzzt*

[VIDEO: The Truth]

: Welcome home.

: I wish we could greet you with better news.

: Despite using every avenue available to us, we're no closer to finding Lord Vivicar.

: Actually, I believe we are. A common thread binds all the plague victims: the loss of Parkanas Tark at Malachor Three. Vivicar's influence forced the sick Masters to relive their failures on Malachor. This is revenge, personal revenge.

Isn't it nice when characters are smart and figure things out? This is all cutscene btw, there's no dialogue options.

I twigged that Parkanas and Vivicar were probably the same back on Tatooine, but I'm normally pretty slow on the uptake for these things. I'd be interested to know at what stage you guys figured this out, or if it came as a surprise.

: Yuon? I told those Padawans to keep an eye on you. You must rest!

: No. My pupil-- my fellow Jedi-- deserves to hear the truth about Malachor.

: You're ill, Master Yuon. Don't speak more than you have to. Honestly, I don't think we need more exposition at this stage.

: Malachor Three isn't just strong in the dark side; the planet is the resting place of the Sith Lord Terrak Morrhage. Our work on Malachor woke Morrhage's spirit and, one by one, we fell under his power. The things we did... still haunt me.

: Somehow you got free of Morrhage's power.

: Yes. Together, we managed to break his control, but at a terrible cost.

: But it seems he survived and has taken Morrhage's dark path.

: You couldn't have predicted this. Unless you were aware of the laws of narrative causality.

: I must make amends. I have a plan to help you find Vivicar.

: No. You're already weak from the plague, Yuon. This could kill you.

: Vivicar won't get the chance. I'll be between him and my Master. Not literally, mind. I mean, Yuon will be doing her ritual thing and I'll sort of be just standing in the same room, but if anything happens then I'll do... something. Maybe use the Force? I guess? Or...

: Stop talking.

: OK!

: It's our best chance to find Vivicar.

: Very well, Yuon. The lizard's testimony swung it. But we will monitor the ritual, and your former Padawan must stay at your side.

: Thank you, Syo.

: And by monitor you mean...?

: We're going to just sit here, and wait for the good news. Or bad news. Good luck!

: This is it, Qyzen. We find Vivicar, the Council sends a strike team, and it's all over.

: Will miss adventuring when done?

: No! No way! Fighting battles every ten paces, travelling for miles just to find a taxi, extortionate vendor prices, everyone expecting you to do their errands for them, the giant bugs that every planet seems to have for some reason... I won't miss this at all.

: Seemed like you were having fun sometimes.

: Well... maybe a little.

[VIDEO: Hotline to Evil]

: I plan to create a connection between us, using your shielding ability. If it is, was, Parkanas, this should work. Drawing on your strength, I will invert the link between myself and Vivicar, and use it to sense his location.

: So you'll be linked to Vivicar? Shouldn't we tie you up or something? Take away your lightsaber at least?

: Nah. We can't do that because... er... it interferes with the ritual? Yes, that sounds plausible.

: Rrrright. Don't expose yourself to Lord Vivicar's influence longer than necessary.

: I won't. For your sake as well as mine.

: I don't know what will happen then. It's possible I could die once your shield is gone.

: You must resist, Master Yuon. Don't give Vivicar another victory.

: With your strength to sustain me, we will do what we can. No matter what happens, you must give me as much time as possible. Reversing the link may be a long process- let us begin.

TIME PASSES...

: I totally didn't see this coming.

: Jedi. You don't look as strong as you did last time we spoke. Yuon has drained your strength and made herself vulnerable to me. Still arrogant and reckless.

: You were once Parkanas Tark, a brave Jedi. You could be that man again.

: The past means nothing.

: Says the man who's been busy torturing his childhood friends over a decades old grudge.

: Shut up. All that matters is the future. Which. Doesn't. Involve. You. See how Yuon's will crumbles before mine. Fitting, that two of my enemies will destroy each other.

: Here we go again.

: Wasn't Yuon saber just red?

: Not a good time for continuity questions, Qyzen!

Yuon again, and she's a lot stronger this time round. She spams Disturbance constantly, which knocks off about 5% of yours or Qyzen's health a shot. It has a 1.5s charge time, which reduces the dps and lets you interrupt it, still- don't let this fight drag out too long. Yuon will also heal herself, seemingly at random. Once you've reduced her health enough...

[VIDEO: The Last Cure]

: He's surrounded himself with defenses. Send this. It's his code. It will give you... time to get aboard... No-- the darkness... Vivicar's will is too strong. I can't hold on! Please, kill me! End it now!

: There's a better way, Master.

You at last have the option to do an Anakin and kill your Master. Again, there are no negative consequences to shielding people, so beyond “I want to be a dick / max my darkside points” why wouldn't you save her? Morality systems in video games, eh?

Also, Qyzen gets very upset if you kill Yuon. This whole sequence is a good opportunity to get lots of approval points with Qyzen actually, as it has plenty of chances to be nice to Yuon, which Qyzen really appreciates.

: It's the Jedi way. Martyr Complexes R Us.

: I-- I must rest. Please, go to Master Syo and the Council. They should hear of what we've learned.

: Perhaps you should rest too.

: No... It doesn't help. Not anymore. I just want this finished.

: So no strike team?

: Vivicar could seize control of them in seconds. You're the only one immune to his powers.

: Lucky me.

: You've shown great fortitude and saved your Master despite the odds. But Lord Vivicar will have made preparations, and he still has his greatest weapon-- the plague.

: Now that I know who he really is, I could return Vivicar to the light.

: A noble thought, but don't take unnecessary risks. Your shielding ability is our only hope.

AND SO...

: Set a course, Seetoo. It's time.

: ...For what?

: bleeep

: Oh, right. Course laid in.

NEXT TIME: The truth will set you free. Or kill you.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Malachor Three posted:

The world of Malachor Five was host to a Sith academy before its destruction three centuries ago, but the Jedi have long suspected that Sith ruins are scattered on other planets and moons across the Malachor system. Several decades ago, the Jedi Order's six most promising students obtained permission to explore Malachor Three. Their arrival roused the spirit of Terrak Morrhage, a Sith Lord entombed on the planet.

Yuon Par and Duras Fain succumbed to the spirit's influence first, giving in to their suppressed passion for each other. Appalled, Eriz Vossan and Cin Tykan began to suffer terrifying nightmares and paranoia. Slowly the expedition members turned on each other, only coming to their senses when the dark creatures of Malachor Three--stirred by Terrak Morrhage's anger--rose up against them. 

The tactician Sidonie Garen formulated a plan, but an error of judgment sent the expedition into dangerous terrain. The youngest Jedi, Parkanas Tark, was trapped trying to save Eriz Vossan, and was left behind when the others finally escaped. Malachor Three is now forbidden to explorers; the expedition members have not spoken in many years.

Lord Vivicar posted:

The Jedi mission to explore Malachor Three proved fateful for all those involved. Besieged by the dark spirit of the Sith Lord interred there, most of the expedition--Yuon Par, Duras Fain, Sidonie Garen, Eriz Vossan and Cin Tykan--managed to flee, but the youngest member, Parkanas Tark, was left behind. 

Believed dead by his comrades, Parkanas nevertheless survived--though he was left horribly scarred by the dark creatures that dwelled on the planet. Nothing was left in him but anger and a longing for revenge. Taking the name Vivicar, he managed to recover the secrets of the dark plague once created by the Sith Lord Terrak Morrhage, and turned it against the Jedi who had been his friends. Now, Vivicar seeks not only personal vengeance, but the annihilation of the Jedi Order that left him to die so long ago.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 1, 2014