Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #060
Stardate: Go-time on the bleeding edge

Haven’t updated my log in a bit. Got a little too tied up in some side business on Nar Shaddaa, but while I was there I got hit with a bombshell so big I’ve gotta scratch it down now in case I don’t have the chance later.

So, when I left off we were on our way back to Nar Shaddaa for Risha’s last job. Sure enough, we get there in good time thanks to the Arkanian hyperdrive and touch down. Risha took me aside to go over the details and wax nostalgic about our trip so far.

quote:

Quinine: I can do lots of amazing things for you, if you’ll let me.

Risha: You’re also not easily discouraged.

Risha: No one has ever come as close to finding Nok Drayen’s riches as we are now.

Risha: How will you spend all that reward when you finally get it?

The real answer – paying back what I owe – doesn’t make for fun conversation, so I figured I’d go big.

Bowdaar might like the company, but the damp Wookie smell would drive Corso nuts.

quote:

Risha: What you lack in practicality, you make up in style.

Risha: Your last job is taking the man in carbonite to these coordinates. It’s a restricted area. Only us and the buyer will be there.

Risha: That’s right, I’ll help you negotiate this deal personally. But don’t worry – I’m sure you’ll do most of the talking.

Quinine: We’re finally teaming up, huh? Interesting.

To most people, this sorta setup would scream “double-cross”. After all we’d been through, though, I figured Risha deserved the benefit of the doubt.

quote:

Risha: I’ll run ahead and make sure everything’s in place. Meet me there with our friend in the carbonite.

Risha: Use this access card to enter the restricted area. I’ll see you at the delivery point.

You know, I never really thought about this big slab of carbonite Risha was hauling around. I just figured it was some creepy wall art. Knowing I’ve had an extra passenger onboard this whole time gives me the creeps – especially once I found out who it was.

It actually took Risha a while to get the ‘deal’ set up on her end, so me and Corso went looking for work. I don’t have time to write what happened down now, but suffice to say it involved more of the Empire’s dirty laundry, another friendly chat with Bareesh, and a very grateful Republic ambassador.

All of that’s for later, though. You just need to know that when Risha called to let me know the iceman was cometh, I got over to her secret hideout pronto.

Extremely highly recommended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgCnAJwGLeM

quote:

Quinine: What is this place?

Risha: A private medical facility – so private, it’s only ever served one patient.

Risha: Doctor Chelah, let’s introduce the captain to the man in carbonite. Begin the procedure.

Doctor Chelah: Initiating carbon thawing and resuscitation. You may wish to shield your eyes…

Sure enough, there was a bright flash when the carbonite lit up.

When our eyes cleared, the man in the ice had fallen to his knees – and he was breathing.

quote:

Doctor Chelah: Vital signs are normal. He is regaining consciousness.

Don’t ask me how, but as soon as I laid eyes on that face I knew who we’d just brought back to the land of the living.

quote:

Risha: Ten years. I’m sorry it took so long, but I finally have everything you told me to find.

Nok Drayen: Come closer, Risha. Let me see you.

Risha: I’m different, now.

Nok Drayen: Not that little girl constantly underfoot. Now you’re my heir… my legacy.

Well I’ll be damned! I can’t believe I never put it together – Nok Drayen was alive the whole time, and standing three feet away from me while Risha told me about his adventures and his lost fortune! Needless to say, my rear end-covering started immediately.

quote:

Quinine: I never believed you were really dead, Nok.

Nok Drayen: Then my daughter wasn’t doing her job properly.

Risha: Sorry I wasn’t completely honest, Captain.

Risha: I promised father when he entered Doctor Chelah’s hibernation treatment I’d never tell anyone the truth.

If Nok’s been frozen since Risha was a little girl, she’s probably had plenty of practice. If she hadn’t been careful, she might’ve told somebody like Skavak, which would’ve ended with her father’s slab going on sale to the highest bidder – probably with Risha thrown in as a bonus.

quote:

Nok Drayen: Trust is a vice for the weak. I learned that the hard way.

Nok Drayen: Ten years ago, one of my lieutenants deliberately infected me with a disease. It’s deadly, incurable – and eating me alive.

Quinine: You replaced the infected parts with all that machinery, right?

Nok Drayen: I’ve done everything to stop this disease, but it’s never been enough. Soon, the illness will consume my vital organs.

Quinine: Rumor is, Jedi can heal anything.

Well, there goes your introduction to my Jedi friends, you ruthless bastard. This’d probably be a bigger problem if he wasn’t already dying horribly.

quote:

Risha: I lied about my father, Captain, but not his lost fortune. That’s real – and thanks to all those starship upgrades, it’s yours.

Risha: You have the only starship in the galaxy equipped to travel where the fortune was lost. No one else can reach it.

Nok Drayen: There is a region of space beyond the Outer Rim called the Long Shadow. There are no stars, no light, no life.

Nok Drayen: Just a derelict starship drifting into a massive black hole. My fortune waits for you there.

Not that I’m afraid or anything, just… yeah, I can see why Risha left out some of the details.

quote:

Nok Drayen: Few spacers have seen the Long Shadow and survived. They describe it as a vast darkness slowly consuming the galaxy.

Nok Drayen: I’ll give you the coordinates to the derelict vessel. You’ll fly into the long shadow and board it.

Nok Drayen: Retrieve the vessel’s reliquary and bring it here. Risha will take a single item. The rest is yours.

Quinine: Tell me about this “single item” Risha gets.

When the devil smiles, I shiver. You don’t need to tell me there’s more to that “simple ornament” than he wants to admit, what could be worth staking his life and legacy on?

quote:

Nok Drayen: My daughter will stay here. I have things to tell her, and my time grows short.

Risha: Be careful out there. I’ve gotten used to seeing you.

Quinine: You ready for the ride of your life, farm boy?

Well at least somebody’s excited.

And, well, that’s it.

We turned right back around and set off for Nok Drayen’s lost treasure-ship. We’re coming up on it right now, and the Miel Muwn is straining for all she’s worth. The radiation shield is taking a pounding from the direction of that massive black hole, the new hyperdrive’s the only reason we didn’t smash into its huge mass shadow, the engine’s red-lining to keep us on a stable trajectory without getting sucked out of the galaxy and the sensor array can only just make out the treasure ship’s profile against all the interference.

So, this is it. We’re planning on flying aboard soon as we can find a hangar, grabbing the treasure, and getting the hell out. Don’t know what we’re expecting to find protecting it, or even what the treasure’s supposed to be, but we’ve come too far to turn back now. If something goes wrong… well, this won’t be one of my regrets.

Wonder what advice the captain would have if he could see me now?

Wish us luck.

##End Log##

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 28, 2013