Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I've been LPing this game for a whole dang year, and we're... still not quite done.

Part 18: Tales of Referencia

There's still plenty to see and do around Royal City. Card games aren't everything, right?

Sparky here claims he's going to rescue the princess, so we better not get in his way! Right.

Then we steal 100 wishes out of the fountain.

Not-Cloud has his eyes on that fat reward for rescuing the princess. Too bad he's an immobile NPC.

Gathering Curry Spice right off the plate. Just... scraping it off, I guess.

This guy wishes that evil magician would quit being evil, already.

And his drinking partner has no clue what said evil magician even wants.

The atmosphere around the tavern is mostly the same. Adventurers and villagers alike speak of a faceless, powerful magician with unknown goals.

But missing princess plus wicked magician equals kidnapping, right?

She's the only waitress here, and complains about the workload. Clearly, she's the only person here with her priorities straight.

Dropping by this item shop real quick to point out the machine next to the counter. That's a KeroCard practice machine, where you can do mock battles without worrying about card loss.

Royal City is the location of an important NPC, the title-giving Collection Maniac. If you fill up the Monsterpedia and get every recipe, KeroCard, and Keparrow treasure, he'll award you with titles based on each collection.

This lady gives us the recipe for Omelet Rice, which heals the party's HP by 35%. Why? Because she doesn't have time to fix it herself.

It's time for the next weapon shop. Everything here is wind elemental and has a speed bonus, so even though I stick with Keroro's Legendary Sword Replica for the CC value, I pick up a Wind Sword anyway, in case I need the attack boost/element later on.

Meanwhile, Tamama, Giroro, and Dororo benefit from the Wind Knuckle, Wind Barrel, and Wind Dagger, so I upgrade them.

Next is the Guardian shop, appropriately run by a kid and a cat. Everything here is new, starting with the simple yet serviceable Gelgoog, which provides Defense and Quick. The Gyan, which actually looks like a suit of armor, and was made to rival the Gelgoog, provides attack and defense points, but no Skills.

The RX-79(G) Gundam Ground Type increases HP and defense, and has two nice Skills, Effect Time (increases buff duration) and Repair Up (increases HP healed from items and Artes). The GM Quel gives only HP and defense, while the MS-18 Kämpfer offers attack, speed, and the Wind Resist Skill.

I get everything but the Kämpfer because I went broke in the middle of shopping. I can always come back for it later.

Now for some fun stuff! Tucked away in this little corner is a fortune teller. Talking to him with each platoon member yields different results.

You, over there... do you have a moment? Yes, you sir, the one in green.

You mean me?

Yes indeed. I see the shadow of death hanging over you. Your demise draws near.

Gero?! Tha... that can't be! What should I do?!

Don't fret, there's still time. First, buy this Pot of Good Fortune, and this Crystal of Better Fortune. That way you can escape your terrible fate.

Oh! I definitely want that! By the way, how much is it?

999,999 Gold.

That's actually within the realm of technical possibility to... hey wait a minute!

GERO?! That's highway robbery! Can't you make it cheaper?

Then how does 99,999 Gold strike you?

All you did was drop a number. That's still too much! Wait... I don't have to buy this crap.

You're right! I was only joking. By the by, would you care for a name change? For a limited time only, I'm offering this service at the low, low price of absolutely free.

I'm not really interested in changing it, but what name would be good for me, anyway?

How about Kerol Capel? That's my recommendation.

That's a pretty nice name, but I'll keep the one I have, thanks. Though it does sound like it would fit me perfectly... I wonder why?

Perhaps because it is perfect for you. Would you still like to change your name? I'm sure it'll give you a wonderful life.

All right. Just for a little bit, though...

Keroro is newly christened as Kerol Capel.

Woah! It feels like I'm brimming with energy! Full power, full throttle, full speed ahead!

Then he's Keroro again.

But I'm fine just the way I am, after all.

Well, we've got to be going now.

Is that so? Then I bid you adieu. May fortune smile upon your journey.

Kerol Capel was a not-so-hidden reference to Karol Capel from Tales of Vesperia.

Karol can even dress up as Keroro in his game.

Hello, you there, with the tail. Might I have a word with you? Yes, I do mean you. Don't eat too much... or you will regret it.

Tama? But I don't do that anyway.

Ahaha. Well, you can never be too careful. That's all for now. See you later.

This was a reference to Coda, Illia Animi's food-obsessed muse from Tales of Innocence.

You, the striking red fellow. May I have a moment of your time?

What is it? We're in kind of a hurry...

Don't worry, this won't take long at all. You use a gun as your weapon, correct? Have you thought of wielding a sword instead, and taking on an apprentice? If you do so, I can see promising things in your future.

That's an odd suggestion. I've no intention of changing my weapon.

That's a shame... Hmm... you seem very set on this.

Is that all? Then I'll be going.

Yes yes, of course.

The sword and apprentice thing was an allusion to Van Grants from Tales of the Abyss.

You there, the one with the glasses... can you spare a minute?

Whaddya want? I'm busy. If you wanna sell somethin', try somebody else.

Oh, I'm not trying to sell anything. I am but a humble fortune teller.

Ku ku ku... comin' from you, that sounds pretty shady.

Come now, I am most certainly not shady...

...So what's my fortune?

Have you ever been called "Necromancer?"

Don't think so. Is that it? Then I'm outta here...

May fortune smile upon your journey.

Necromancer plus Koyasu can only equal Jade Curtiss, another character from Tales of the Abyss.

Hello there, my fine blue-clad friend. Can I talk with you a moment?

With me?

Yes yes, you, yes. ...Now, my blue friend. Do you have a habit of telling bad jokes?

Ah, no... not really...

Oh? How odd... my fortunes are almost never wrong...

Is that all you have to tell me?

It is. Sorry to have wasted your time. May fortune smile upon your journey.

This is a reference to Cless Alvein from Tales of Phantasia.

Also, Dororo lies. He's a fan of terrible puns in the anime.

With those voice actor allusions behind us, it's time for this random kid to fill out the paralysis status effect entry in our Guidebook.

It's also time to talk to rich people who think poverty is a disease! Why do I keep doing this to myself?

This affluent household isn't all assholes, though. The guy's wife believes how much money you have doesn't matter.

Their daughter is saving money with her mom.

Mom says she's dipped into her daughter's savings.

We have the option to tattle on her, which of course we do.

Which sends the little girl running away crying to her mom.

In somewhat of a twist, Mom scolds her daughter, warning that if she keeps making such a big fuss over money, she'll end up like her dad.

In a desperate bid not to become Scrooge, she gives us the rest of her savings.

There's an interesting skit to be had in an innocuous corner of the item shop.

Hey! You, over there!

I probably don't have to tell you this, but I've been getting a lot of shoplifters lately. So don't do any shoplifting, okay?

I hear you loud and clear.

Urgh... my... my stomach...! Why now, of all times...

The owner leaves us alone in the shop.

Now's your chance. Will you steal something?

→Of course!
I can't do that!

Will you really steal something?

→YES YES YES YES
no

Gerori... the owner's not here. Now's my chance!

One stick of gum later!

Ge-ro gero gero gero! Like stealing candy from a shelf!

Then Keroro notices something odd.

Something very odd.

Oh man! My name's been changed!

To THIEF, actually.

This isn't good. I'd better return what I stole right away!

I told you not to shoplift, didn't I? Time for your PUNISHMENT!

The screen goes black, and...

KIIIYAAAA!

Hey! Keroro!

Gero?! Wha... what the? Didn't I just die... or was that a dream?

For pete's sake... would it kill you to stop daydreaming for two seconds and focus?

Uh... yeah, okay.

Petty theft's a crime, you know! Don't do what our Sergeant just thought he did!

Excellent timing for the Royal City Keparrow list!
-Panacea
-Bandit Eyedrops
-Revival Orb

Jeez, crime doesn't pay.

May as well go check out the guardhouse.

We can't enter the castle proper, but off to the left is where the knights all hang out.

VIDEO: The Princess's Knight

I see. So those fiends from Magician's Tower kidnapped Princess Summer, after all...

Rein turns to leave.

Rein! Where do you think you're going?!

You need to ask? I'm a knight assigned as the princess's personal guard. If the princess is kidnapped, my next course of action is obvious.

Hm? You're the ones I saw outside before...

We heard everything. Allow us to join you in rescuing the princess.

When we saw her portrait, we could not consider this problem outside of our concern.

Hmph... I don't need your assistance. I'll save her all on my...

Rein, we need all the help we can get right now. Their cooperation could be of great benefit to us in rescuing Princess Summer.

...I suppose you're right, Kel. Very well. If you want to come along, I won't stop you. I'm heading northeast of Royal City to Boltstrike Mountain.

More like, you're coming with us. :colbert:

Artes/Skills learned this update:

Keroro
Five Finger Discount: Nick something of no significance from the impulse aisle. Changes Keroro's name to THIEF. Costs your life if you dare to enter the store again.

Next time, Boltstrike Mountain!

All the fortune teller's voice actor allusions on one clear file.