Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #070
Stardate: Giving some space

One last bit of business before we dock with the Telos. I'm going over the stuff Risha'd need to take over in case I don't make it back – keycodes for the ship, account numbers, where I hide the good Corellian whiskey – and figured I should at least leave the log up to date.

Not much left to say. We reported in to Darmas, and despite what Risha said he didn't seem too disappointed.

quote:

Darmas Pollaran: I hear the Nebula prototypes were well-received, and the loss is causing a bit of a dustup among the Imperials down on Balmorra.

Quinine: Those weapons were made by the people of Balmorra. The Republic should give them enough to defend themselves.

Darmas Pollaran: I'll make sure Senator Dodonna is aware of your opinion. But Balmorra is hardly the only target in this war.

I wanted to say if it wasn't for me and the Balmorrans the Republic wouldn't be getting any of those weapons, but there's no point. It's hearing stuff like that which keeps people wary about signing on with us.

quote:

Darmas Pollaran: I believe the Senator is hoping you'll brave Hoth next. It's a frozen wasteland, somewhere in the Outer Rim.

And here I thought we might get a glamorous assignment after hauling jets through a war zone. Oh well, at least I know I've got a few surplus winter jackets kicking around in storage.

I figured it was about time I checked up on our new shipmate. She's got a spot in the crew quarters but still doesn't seem very friendly with the rest of the crew (case in point, her little smackdown with Bowdaar). I did what I could to make her feel welcome.

Recommended for an unsettling settling in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1zX3PLYzBk

quote:

Akaavi Spar: Do not begin to think I am yours. This is a convenient arrangement, that is all.

Quinine: Doesn't mean we can't chat while you're here, right? Share a few secrets, shed a few tears?

Akaavi Spar: I have no clan. What more do you need to know?

Guess that wound's still pretty fresh. Fair enough. I didn't get over losing my whole regiment on Duro for a while, either.

She's going to be a tough nut to crack. No, not like that, she ain't really my type. I usually like to get to know the people I'm running with, figure out if I can trust them, but with the mood she's in she might jump ship at the next port or beat us all to death in our sleep. I'll have to see if I can do something about that.

In the meantime, I'm gonna have to find something else for her to wear. Mandos might fight as mercenaries from time to time, but the clans aren't exactly welcome in the Republic at the moment and she'll get the wrong attention on a planet that isn't as big a mess as Balmorra.

After that awkward talk, I thought a chat with Risha might be a nice pick-me-up. Things got kinda strange, though.

quote:

Risha: Don't take this the wrong way, but when we first met I thought you'd wind up like all the others.

Quinine: No wonder you wouldn't let yourself fall for me. You were afraid I'd die.

Risha: Oh, yes. Terrified.

Risha: You're all right, Captain. With a little polish, you just might shine.

Opening with all the spacers sent to their deaths on her wild goose chase was a bit weird, but otherwise I figured things were going good. I figured I should drop one of my patented golden lines.

But no, I get shut down again.

quote:

Risha: Interesting theory. When you can prove it, let me know.

Risha's a marathon, not a sprint. I don't mind fighting a war of attrition – and in the meantime, she's still the only one who knows how the engine works or how to balance the books.

I dropped in on Bowdaar after that. He's finished fixing the bar since his tussle with Akaavi, by the way. You can't even see where the glue's holding the supports together. We got to chatting but it wasn't long before he turned toward the usual topic.

Recommended for shades of Riggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFyhlQ19b_0

quote:

Bowdaar: For a century, I was property. A weapon.

Bowdaar: Something you could trade, like your gun, for something better.

Quinine: Hey, don't go insulting my piece. She's gotten me through a lot.

Bowdaar: Hah. You're a softie, Captain.

Oh hell, I'm starting to sound like Corso. Fair's fair, Flashy's the best little blaster I've ever seen. I've notched Sith, Imperial commandos, Mandalorian warriors and worse with this thing. You don't go throwing away that kind of good mojo.

Bowdaar's praise still gets to me a bit. All I did was pass through Drooga's and shoot the joint up a bit. I don't think I can really appreciate what it'd mean to be a slave for a hundred years, but the more I hear about it from him the more I'm glad I got the chance to bail him out. Even when I'm gone, Bowdaar'll have a few good centuries left to do the same for other people out there.

Speaking of liberating the oppressed, we're pulling into the Telos's rendezvous coordinates now. Don't know if it's something in the air, but I've got a bad feeling about this.

##End Log##