Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PART 20: ARRIVAL ON HOTH

Previously posted:

HOTH is a freezing wasteland world at the edge of civilisation, used as a hideout by pirate gangs such as the powerful WHITE MAW. The RIFT ALLIANCE has mobilised a COALITION ARMY to wipe out the pirates and make local trade lanes safe again. But this mission may be more than the Alliance can handle...

: Clearance! Republic bureaucracy. Do we look like pirates?

: They've probably confused us with the RSS Galt. Most worlds panic when that ship shows up.

: The Republic has a right to be careful. The White Maw is cunning, and a vast, frozen wasteland is quite the place to hide.

: They forgot pirates, scavengers and monsters.

: And it looked so pretty in the pictures.

: We sent a coalition force of our best soldiers to fight them, but somehow, our men have suffered defeat after defeat.

: And the Republic won't “waste” more men to save them. Fools.

: But... aren't they Republic soldiers?

: Yes. And no.

: :psyduck:

: They are Republic citizens, they are soldiers, but they do not report to Coruscant; they report to us. Or at least, they used to. Now there's a risk of mutiny, our coalition might abandon Hoth altogether.

: How is it this “White Maw” is giving your soldiers so much trouble?

: We're giving you command of our coalition force. Find out what's happening, and get rid of those pirates so our men can come home.

: With a little help, your coalition will finish those pirates and get out safely.

: There. That's what we've been hoping to hear.

*mipmip mipmip*

: Ah, there's our clearance.

: Don't worry. I have a secret weapon!

: Ta da! What do you think?

: It's a jacket.

: It's not a “jacket”! It's a duotronic thermal heat insulator retention system! With Shiverguard© technology!

: It looks like a jacket.

: :sigh: It sounded so cool on the shopping channel.

: Snow on the ground... Inside the base. Eesh. Hasn't the military heard of space space heaters?

: Acclimatisation. Don't want soldiers getting too cosy.

: Well, I'm not a soldier, and I want to be cosy. I wonder if they have hot chocolate here?

: I guess not. Looks like Hoth has bigger problems than a few pirates.

: The Empire is here as well. A cold war.

: Yeah... Thanks for coming down here with me. Qyzen can't handle the cold, and Tharan's busy with his impossible machine.

: Balmorran troops serve in the coalition. I need to ensure their safety.

: That's admirable, Zenith. We can... Oh! Ohhh!!!

: Maaaa!

: :kimchi:

: Cute, ain't he? Tauntaun's are the only way to travel on Hoth. The weather freezes up most speeders.

: How much?

: These are Republic property. I could trade one... if you agree to collect a little data for me.

: Agreed! Let's go, Zenith!

: But--

: Let's go, Zenith!

: Look at all the snow!

: Quiet. Stark. Beautiful. Whole planet is an empty page.

So, let's go wrangle ourself a tauntaun.

Step 1: Find a tauntaun nest, full of little taun fawns. There are 6 scattered around Hoth, and nothing in game to tell you where they are. Better get on Dulfy!

Step 2: Use a Tauntaun Lure on one of the taun fawns to attract an adult to the nest. Tauntaun Lures cost 500 credits a pop, and each has ~20% chance of attracting an adult. And each fawn can only be fed a Lure once an hour, so this might take a while.

Step 3: Looks like the Tauntaun wasn't the only thing you lured! You've got three minutes to kill the Wampa, and you can't let it kill the Tauntaun in the process.

: I thought snowmen were supposed to be jolly!

: K.O! Alright, let's head back.

Step 4: For winning, you're rewarded with “Tauntaun Domestication Data”. Now, repeat this process a further 19 times (or 14 times if you're a subscriber).

Step 5: Cash in the domestication data for a shiny new Tauntaun of your very own! If you can't be bothered with all that running around, you can just buy the data here for an exorbitant 100K each.

: :swoon:

: :ughh:

: I shall name him... um... “Tawny”. Good boy, Tawny!

: Good. Now can we get back to work?

: Fine, fine.

: The Coalition Enclave is here.

: Right next to the base's cantina. Someone's got their priorities right.

[VIDEO: Ice to meet you]

: See, guys? Just when it seems bleak, in walks a Jedi. Welcome!

: Sounds good to me. I'm Lieutenant Felix Iresso, the ranking officer.

: A Jedi. So what? Captain Valon will finish her off, like he did Dask and Antilles.

: The private is referring to a White Maw foot soldier who became a major player overnight. When Valon and his followers started harassing the Outer Rim, they sent us in.

: The LT forgot the best part, Jedi. Valon can't die!

: Everything that lives, dies in its time.

: We even collapsed an ice tunnel on Valon! Next day, he's fighting us again!

: Now he's stolen our thermal bore device. This is over! We're leaving today--

: Enough back chat! All of you, dismissed!

: Your soldiers seem to believe that Valon is immortal.

: Sure, Valon's tough, but no-one's unstoppable. I'm more worried about the device he stole.

: Recovering the thermal bore might help morale, but... my guys won't fight Valon again.

: These are trained professionals, can't we appeal to their sense of honor?

: :raise:

: They need a victory, any victory. Please, can you help me out and find that device? According to its transponder, the device is in an old Imperial science lab; it's not far. I'll be here, trying to stop a mutiny.

NEXT TIME: Jolune Mol'neux vs. The Indestructible Man.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Rift Alliance Coalition Forces posted:

When the pirates led by Captain Valon began raiding Rift Alliance-controlled shipping lanes, a request for help from the Republic military was answered with only a small number of soldiers due to the Republic’s commitments elsewhere. Incensed, the Rift Alliance managed to call together supplementary forces from its own worlds to stop the pirates, claiming this as more proof that the Republic could no longer defend its own citizens. While not as well-trained or equipped as standard Republic military troops, the coalition force has adapted surprisingly well to the harsh conditions on Hoth and quickly become a cohesive and flexible unit. Unfortunately, the pirates have the advantage of manpower and a detailed knowledge of the terrain. With their numbers dwindling, the coalition force has been gradually pushed back; to the beleaguered soldiers, victory has now become second to survival.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 6, 2015