Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #076
Stardate: Running ragged

Don't have much down-time right now, but speeder's on autopilot so I might as well update the log.

Wasn't far from Aurek to the power relay. Honestly couldn't tell you why Laskin couldn't spare one or two men to recon the situation, except that he's clearly in over his head.

Sure enough, once we got there we found the Talz still holding their position. Seems like they'd properly dug in, although if this exposed power relay is Aurek's jugular it's not going to hold forever.

quote:

Talz Squad Leader: Our clan holds against Imperial clan but barely. We must talk quickly.

Quinine: You're not in danger of being overwhelmed here. What's the problem?

Talz Squad Leader: We hear nothing from Aurek base. Imperial clan cuts off communications. Our clan believes we must leave our post to see if Republic clan needs aid.

Talz Squad Leader: Do we fall back to defend Aurek base? We must know if our allies live. Our clan must know where we are needed most.

Just more evidence things've gone to hell around here – the Talz aren't even in trouble, just out of contact and without leadership. Aurek needs a commanding officer with some actual experience with command.

We'd already fixed the sensor grid, so we might as well fix the communications network too. Once again, it was another abandoned facility in the middle of an empty snow field.

The Imp sabotage team had already been and gone. For all I know it could've been the same batch of Chiss we hit at the sensor dish. With the way the Empire has the run of the backfield here on Hoth it's enough to make me wonder if there's even a front line or any forward positions. Isn't this supposed to be a top-tier salvage op?

quote:

Private Falk: Lieutenant, we're receiving messages on all channels. Cresh outpost is reporting now.

Lieutenant Laskin: We're not alone out here anymore. This is going to be fabulous for morale.

Quinine: With communications back online, you should be able to call for backup. Or at least new orders.

Private Falk: Sir, I've picked up an urgent transmission from the Crescent Canyon facility. Putting it through now.

Ortolan. Three feet tall, can't speak a lick of Basic between them but they understand you well enough. And definitely not the kind of people who can stand up to an Imperial attack on their own.

quote:

Supervisor Aldogh: They're killing anyone who doesn't surrender! You've got to send help! We – no, he's coming!

Quinine: How far away are they? Why didn't your long-range sensors detect an Imperial attack?

Lieutenant Laskin: They're in the geothermal plant in Crescent Canyon. We don't have any sensors near there.

Of course he doesn't. Nothing else makes sense in this outfit, why would he have sensors keeping an eye on a major power station?

quote:

Lieutenant Laskin: Their facility at Crescent Canyon has the best cold-weather technology on Hoth. Technology that's now in Imperial hands.

Quinine: I'll go see what can be done to save these colonists.

Lieutenant Laskin: Thank you.

We took off for Crescent Canyon, which sure enough wasn't too far from the comm hub. Good thing, too, because the situation turned out to be pretty desperate.

We found the site being recced by some scouts from Aurek. Seems Laskin had thought of that, at least, but even from a distance you could tell the Imps had the whole facility locked down. It'd take more men for a conventional assault.

Thankfully, unconventional is my specialty.

The Imps were really setting up shop. This wasn't a sabotage raid like the sensors or the comms, they wanted the power station for themselves. That meant a whole lot more resistance, not to mention these creepy holo-terminals of their commanding officer repeating Imperial slogans on loop.

It also meant a bad time for any Ortolans the Imps had caught. I didn't find one alive until reaching the holdout room at the back of the facility.

Recommended for trouble brewing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHOlBjFlilk

quote:

Quinine: Don't be afraid. I'm not with the Empire. I came to help you.

Supervisor Aldogh: I don't need any help! I'm... fine. I'm just fine!

Creepy bastard. You can ask the Ortolan bodies in the cages next to him how their “reward” worked out.

quote:

Supervisor Aldogh: It's too late. You can't rescue me now, anyway.

Korl Torin Holo: The Republic stole this planet from your people. The Empire will give it back to you, if you only let us.

Supervisor Aldogh: I... I talked! Korl Torin tortured me, and I talked! I told him about the mines!

Supervisor Aldogh: He lead the attack on Aurek base, and I gave him information that can kill everyone left there.

Can't say I blame him. Civilians aren't made to hold up to interrogation, much less what the Empire'll do to you if they feel like it.

I can definitely blame whoever thought building Aurek base over a giant bomb was a good idea, though.

quote:

Quinine: When did you tell him this? Maybe we can still stop him if we hurry.

Supervisor Aldogh: Not long ago. But... there's nothing we can do.

Supervisor Aldogh: No one can stop him. He's got an army of Imperial shock troops. Everyone on Hoth will die, and it's my fault.

Korl Torin Holo: You're all alone out here. The Senate doesn't care what happens to the Outer Rim. Surrender, and you can leave Hoth alive.

Supervisor Aldogh: I know I don't deserve mercy. Call Laskin and warn him. Tell him what I've done. Just... let me go.

Aldogh's just in shock from how the Imps treated him and his people. The best thing for him was getting him working on something useful instead of wallowing in self-pity.

quote:

Supervisor Aldogh: You really think so?

Supervisor Aldogh: Maybe you're right. I could get my people... we could go for help!

Supervisor Aldogh: If there are any Republic soldiers within fifty kilometers, we'll bring them here, promise!

Aldogh waddled off to do what he can, but I'm not really banking on him being able to help with this one. Just so long as he looks after his people and gets them out of harm's way, I think we can overlook the “cracking under Imperial interrogators” thing.

Next up was warning Captain Competence his base was about to explode out from under him.

quote:

Lieutenant Laskin: What? Are you serious?

Lieutenant Laskin: I'll send everyone who can hold a blaster to your position. Try to buy us some time.

Quinine: If this doesn't work, it's going to get very hot very fast over there.

Lieutenant Laskin: We have a lot of wounded in kolto tanks. We need more time.

It's worse than it sounds. Even if Laskin cleared Aurek before the base blows, that's the Republic's only secure spaceport on the planet, and it's not like there's a lot of good spots to put down another in this frozen hellscape. If Aurek goes, every Republic unit on the planet goes with it – including me and mine.

We're still two klicks out of the entrance to the mines. I've got my eye on the horizon, waiting to see a gas explosion at any moment. Wish me luck, 'cause I'm gonna need it.

##End Log##