Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PART 24: INTELLIGENCE FAILURE

Previously posted:

An audacious scheme! The immortal pirate VALON plots to raise an old REPUBLIC DREADNAUGHT from the STARSHIP GRAVEYARD to claim as his flagship. While LT IRESSO and the RIFT ALLIANCE COALITION (great name for a band) launch an attack on the dreadnaught's engines, JOLUNE MOL'NEUX heads for a showdown with Valon. But will she be able to get past his incredible regenerative armor?

: The starship graveyard. So many bodies beneath the ice.

: Thanks Zenith, I was trying not to think about that.

: At least the Republic's got forces out here.

: Looks more like a Space Scouts camp.

: Sorry, Commander. Latest readings indicate they've established a perimeter around the ships.

: I warned the admiral something like this might happen. I hate when I'm right.

: Which means... you love being wrong?

: Commander? You have visitors.

: We've been caught with our pants down, and I need someone trustworthy who can clean up a mess quickly and quietly.

: …

: …

: Sir, that might not have been the best choice of words.

: What? What was wrong with it? Spelled things out clearly, I thought... So, Jedi, will you help?

: You're putting a lot of stock in someone you just met.

: The Rift Alliance's toy army has actually started winning battles since you showed up. Well done!

: Thanks, I think. What's your big problem, then?

: Pirates are salvaging computers out of our wrecked starships. Computers with a lot of sensitive data. Codes, manoeuvres, base locations... If this continues, we can kiss any security we had goodbye.

: Things just get better and better.

: I heard you liked a challenge.

: I tolerate challenges. I like chocolate.

: We're out of chocolate. But I still need your help.

: But I'm not quiet, fast, or deadly.

: Good job I'm here then.

: The pirates aren't going to make it easy for you, either. They'd kill their own mothers to protect that salvage.

: You have nothing to fear. I can handle this. Probably.

: Good luck! We're all counting on you.

AND SO...

: Hey, there's one.

: Nice kitty...

: :saddowns:

: Don't have regrets. The pirates would have turned it into a rug anyway.

: Ah! ...I think my fillings have come loose.

: Ion blast at close quarters. Like chewing tin foil with your brain.

: I hope it's not this bad for all of them.

BUT IT WAS...

: Yah!

: Gahh!

: Huaahh! ...That's definitely the last one we're doing. I don't care about Republic secrets anymore. I just want to bury my head in the snow until the ringing stops.

: It's good to know who the Republic can count on. I'll be sure to put in a word for you with Command.

: Any chance of support in taking down Captain Valon?

: I'll submit the paperwork and let you know in 6-8 working weeks.

: :sigh:

: Why are you wasting your time with this anyway? In the grand scheme of things, Valon's nobody.

: A Jedi must do what is right.

: Take some pride in your achievements. You're better than this.

: Thanks, Elias. Now, which way to the dreadnaught?

: Out the tent, turn left and straight on 'til you hit an enormous wall of metal covered in guns.

: Gotcha.

: Oh wow.

: Valon wants to get this flying again? He's crazier than he looks.

: Lights, power, not much snow on the ground... this place is in better shape than Aurek Base.

: Careful. These blast marks are recent.

: Dead pirates.

: Maybe Lt Iresso got here first?

: I wouldn't bet on it.

: The pirate Valon is ours. And so is that armor he borrowed.

: I heard that Valon took that armor from under the Empire's nose.

: It was a loan. The armor made him the perfect weapon to attack the Republic and your little coalition.

: And how's that working out for you?

: Unfortunately, Valon's becoming a nuisance. He needs to be put down.

: Gosh, who could've predicted that happening?

: Wrong.

: We've wasted enough time. Let's go find the good Captain.

: Hey! “Take me to your leader”!

: Go to hell!

: Huh. I'd thought he'd be on the bridge, not hanging out in a rec room.

: He's made a friend.

[VIDEO: Raise the Titanic?]

: See? Some in the White Maw see that I'm the future. When this ship is raised, I'll have a whole planet of followers.

: This ship isn't going anywhere, and I'm taking that armor back.

: Single-handed? Guess it would have to be.

: *cough*

: You don't count.

: When she takes to the sky, the Outer Rim's gonna tremble before--what the--?

*BOOM!!!* *rumble* *rumble*

: Felix--Lt Iresso came through!

: Nice, Valon.

: No. No! You can't do this! I'm untouchable! Even death can't take me!

: This blind faith in your armor has poisoned your mind. It's not too late to save yourself.

: You're the one who needs saving!

Valon fight go! They try to shake things up a little with this battle. In the first phase you just have to fight the White Maw Captain while Valon stands there with some sort of invincibility shield up. The anonymous Captain goes down fairly quickly, which triggers Valon to start fighting you himself.

Valon's gimmick is, of course, that he's immortal. Whenever you knock his health below half it regenerates back to full instantly, so the fight initially seems to be unwinnable.

However as you beat down Valon over and over again, his armor starts to light up with electrical sparks (you can kinda make them out on the above screenshot). These sparks are the actual indicator that you're making progress, not Valon's health bar.

Eventually the armor will stop recovering Valon's health and you're free to finally end him.

: That's music to my ears. Hello, Valon. I've been waiting for this since we buried Antilles.

: Just hold on. Jedi, I've got a deal for you, hear me out.

: You're hardly in a position to try anything. Speak.

: Your Rift Alliance needs help, right? I got men, ships, equipment... I could attack the Empire's trade routes for you.

: You had better be joking.

DECISION TIME

Do we:

a) Accept. The White Maw have been doing pretty well against the Empire after all.
b) Reject. The Republic would never stoop to hiring a privateer!

Voting closes in 72 hours-ish.

NEXT TIME: Valon gets a new life, Zenith gets some political pull, and Lt Iresso gets the hell off Hoth.