Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

#21. Theft of Victory

Music: Driftveil City Gym

Badge time. Arbitrary collection will occur and I am on it.

Yup, gonna go straight into the gym. Not stopping for anything.

Nothing I wanna stop for at all. BADGE TOWN, YEAH.

Dark and gloomy below, like a darkroom, yeah.

"You know, for hydratin'"

Water-type attacks."
"You know, for hydratin'!"

"Now go on, whatever. Just keep hydratin'. Hydratin' could save your life one day, you never know. Except me. I do know. And you should definitely drink water. Bang."

Choro Notes: The gym is straightforward: Go into the dark and it lights up. Find the gym leader!

Choro Notes: Sometimes there's a dude on the platform.

Nope!

"Some say he can HEAR silver."

Choro Notes: Some of the platforms are lifts which will let you get an aerial view of places you haven't been.

Choro Notes: In retrospect I actually regret not learning this. Charm sharply lowers the targets attack stat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5vzDQV9Nrg

Have we met before?

Music: Battle! vs. Unova Gym Leader

Choro Notes: Clay
Clay hasn't changed much, but on challenge mode he's tooooough! Especially if you're like me and always somehow end up with a team critically weak to ground!

Choro Notes: Maxilla is not going to be all that useful against Clay for a specific reason: Three of his four dudes know Rock Slide.

Choro Notes: She is helpful for negating this Intimidate, though.

Choro Notes: Because reminder, this happens every freaking time she gets physically hit.

Choro Notes: Clay's Krokorok is odd because it's not really any harder in Challenge Mode. It's holding this Sitrus Berry that it doesn't normally have, but it's only move replacement is Sand Tomb for Sandstorm.

It's not strength, it's tactics!

It never uncrossed its arms. Not even once. I can respect that fella'.

Choro Notes: Onix is unique to challenge mode. You'd think he'd be a push-over and he is if you've got some special-moves, but he's got a nasty NASTY surprise.

Choro Notes: Onix have incredible defense stats. If you stick an Eviolite on one its defense stat can become one of the highest. Special attacks are the way to go.

Choro Notes: Which, thankfully, Gluu has! Mud Bomb will he—

Gluu, you're slower than rocks!

Choro Notes: The plus of this fight is if you have something weak to ground out like a slow-friggin' Grimer, all of Clay's duders have Bulldoze and will try to hit with it, which makes it a free switch to a flier or levitater.

Choro Notes: Somehow, Maxilla is also slower than an Onix. HOWEVER, because she took a physical hit she gets the speed boost and defense nerf from her Weak Armor ability.

Well, that's THAT then.

Mortimer! Mortimer hasn't failed me!

Oh, hey, yeah. Maxilla did a lot of good with that Flatter, YUP.

That is a pretty fast Onix. I wonder what a fast Onix is gonna do.

Oh holy mother

Choro Notes: On the plus side: Lucario's steel-typing resists explosions. The Onix would have been better off using Bulldoze but they're pretty much set to explode when HP gets low enough.

Choro Notes: Clay's Sandslash gets only a level boost and a move replacement, It loses Fury Cutter of all things and gets Hone Claws. Hone Claws can be a problem, however if it gets it off a time or two.

Choro Notes: Pretty much anything that Sandslash did would have taken out Chitplu. Sandslash has respectable attack and defense stats, but has piss-poor special stats.

Choro Notes: All of my remaining guys are weak to Ground and underleveled. This battle can be a real pain in these situations. Case in point:

Choro Notes: Paralyzing this helps. Because if it uses Bulldoze it'll ruin Mortimer's day.

Choro Notes: Hey check out how much damage Bulldoze does to Mortimer from full HP:

It hurts! The plus side?

Choro Notes: Bone Rush is a ground-type physical move that hits 2-5 times. It used to be one of Cubone and Marowak's signature move, but both Lucario and Mandibuzz can learn it now. Lucario apparently crafts his bone out of aura.

You ain't the only one brother!

Choro Notes: Excadrill are really, really loving good. In Challenge Mode the only thing they did was up its level by three. It has huge attack, lots of HP and high speed.

Choro Notes: I did this specifically for the Intimidate.

Choro Notes: A thing I've noticed is the AI will use an Metal Claw if your active monster is in the red HP wise even if it's ineffective. It's not a bad move since Metal Claw has a chance of boosting attack and Excadrill's attack stat is good enough it'll usually tear through any resistance.

Choro Notes: See? He's STRONG. This puts me in a spot. I was planning on switching back to Mortimer and then throwing Jawnie back out a time or two. This kind of throws a wrench in that plan because whoever I throw out is going to get Bulldozed. Bulldoze is kind of a guaranteed KO for Excadrill regardless who goes out.

Choro Notes: My plan is to make use of Mortimer's whole, you know, being really good thing to eke out a win. As an aside, Mortimer is probably getting benched after this so as to cut out my severe ground-type weakness.

Well that's that then.

Choro Notes: Excadrill is totally holding a Sitrus Berry. If you've been paying attention to the battle there's another issue I'm going to have shortly. At this point I'm kind of stuck: the Excadrill will bulldoze Mortimer before I can get a final attack off and KO him. If I heal Mortimer, he's still going to get a Bulldoze into Mortimer and probably KO him. Sandslash had less attack than Excadrill and just barely didn't knock him out. So the only course of action really is:

Music: Crisis in Battle!

Choro Notes: That is my only Revive. I am pinning all of this on one chance thing.

Caldra it is entirely up to you, girl.

Choro Notes: That is EXACTLY the thing that needed to happen. Burn halves Attack as well as inflicts damage each turn. Now I just have to wait a couple turns and pray a critical hit doesn't happen.

Choro Notes: The ONLY reason that wasn't a KO is the burn.

Choro Notes: Gluu's got slightly more HP than Caldra, I'm pretty sure Gluu can take a hit better so

Choro Notes: Gluu is definitely doing fine with the hits but:

Choro Notes: There's another problem, though!

Choro Notes: I DIDN'T FORCE THE HYPER POTION ON ONE OF HIS WEAKER DUDES LIKE KROKOROK.

-15 TURNS LATER=

Choro Notes: The ONLY reason I was able to win this aside from sheer dumb luck, is I bought that dozen of MooMoo Milk in the previous update.

Music: Victory over a Gym Leader

Choro Notes: In no way should I have won that fight. Like, at all. That was entirely skin of my teeth.

Lucky. Lucky's what I am.

showin' up one after another."
I think if I had to attribute this win to anything, it'd have to be—begrudgingly—to hydrating.

I think I'm just gonna go lay down now.

quote:

Battle Teacher Medal - A Medal for ferociously courageous Trainers who went through 200 battles.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 23, 2014