Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

<WARNING: Memory leak detected>
<Attempt log recovery y/n?>
y
<Attempting log recovery...>
<Log recovered – warning, some data loss detected>

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #078
Stardate: Stretching thin

drat defective gear. I've half a mind to write a report, or else it's the SIS “editing” my logs again.

This one starts off missing a few key bits. Long story short, we found Major Vinson and Cresh outpost on the road to Shai Tenna's place.

Vinson had us track a signal from a supposed Chiss defector. The defector was dust by the time we got there, but he still had some intel on him – namely, plans for the Imperials to take over a geothermal plant that the White Maw took off of us a little while back.

Vinson sent us in with a straightforward objective, destroy the facility before it could fall into enemy (well, worse enemy) hands. Pirates couldn't do much with a geothermal plant, but the Empire could build a whole offensive around it.

We had demo charges and a technical readout of the plant identifying critical infrastructure, including the generators. We also had some good luck in that these particular White Maw were not Shai Tenna's lot, which would've put me in a bind.

Doesn't mean they couldn't fight, though. Neutralizing hostiles at the generator site took longer than expected, but they weren't really ready for us. No doubt the Imperials still could've brushed them aside, and were planning as much.

We were just setting the charges when Akaavi heard someone creeping around behind us. At first I figured more hostiles, but no, it was a different kind of complication.

quote:

Ortolan Leader: We'll hold a parade in your honor! A feast! We must find some proper way to thank you for this!

Ortolan Leader: Oh! We can start with a tour of the facility! It is a marvel of engineering, even if I do say so myself.

Quinine: Nobody mentioned there were civilians here.

Ortolan Leader: You came to our rescue, and you didn't even know we were here! Truly, you are a kind and generous being.

Realization dawns for both of us. Vinson hadn't really considered if any of the facility's original staff were still alive.

quote:

Ortolan Leader: You... you didn't come to rescue us, did you? You came... to destroy my power station.

Quinine: At least you have your freedom. Go. Start over somewhere else.

Ortolan Leader: But why? My geothermal station never hurt anyone! It's harmless!

Ortolan Leader: This facility represents years of hard work by hundreds of my people. We can't abandon it.

Ortolan Leader: When the war is over, it will be the heart of our colony. We'll never survive here without it. Please reconsider?

In force, at that. And we'd just killed the pirates that could've softened them up for us first.

quote:

Ortolan Leader: The Empire? Please, can't you help us? You saved us from the pirates, I know we can get through this, too!

Quinine: The Imperial Army will be here any second. You might want to take cover before they get here.

Ortolan Leader: Oh! Thank you! I knew you would change your mind! You're a great and courageous person!

Strictly speaking, this wasn't in the mission parameters, but then that's why I went freelance in the first place.

I considered refusing, but I didn't know just how many Imperials to expect. Even I need backup sometimes.

Ortolans aren't exactly warriors, but they turned out all the same. I honestly think the Imps were more surprised than I was.

What was more surprising was they actually fought pretty well, considering they were using modified vibrotools.

I don't think the Empire's going to live down getting chumped by a bunch of three-foot-tall aliens with clubs any time soon, but then I wouldn't bet on ever seeing it happen again either.

quote:

Ortolan Leader: You've inspired us! We won't let our work fall into the wrong hands again! We're going to fight back!

Ortolan Leader: Please, tell Cresh outpost that we'll begin building a defense system to protect the station. If the Empire comes back, we'll be ready.

Unless command posts a serious garrison, I don't know what the Ortolans could build to protect such a remote facility. Honestly, if Taris taught me anything it was don't assume a planet's saved just because everyone's smiles and sunshine when you leave – I just hope when it does fall, the Ortolans get a softer landing.

Anyway. Enough doom and gloom. We headed back to Vinson to wrap up things at Cresh.

quote:

Quinine: I chose to stay and fight the Imperial Army.

Major Vinson: You fought the Imperial Army? On your own? Are you serious?

Major Vinson: Remind me never to cross a spacer.

Or an Ortolan, although maybe they should keep letting people underestimate them.

quote:

Major Vinson: Thank you. You've probably just saved the lives of half the soldiers on Hoth.

Quinine: If everything here is secure, Major, I'm probably needed elsewhere.

Major Vinson: There are a lot of people on Hoth who could probably use your help.

Major Vinson: Listen, I know this is asking a lot, but we've lost contact with Lieutenant Kieral at Senth Outpost.

Sounds fair to me, though we couldn't afford to keep skipping out on the whole Shai Tenna operation without risking blowback, so once we were done with Vinson we made tracks for the White Maw's local lair to meet our new contact.

It wasn't an easy ride. The White Maw like to stay out of the way, at least when it comes to their bolt-holes. We had to dip deep into the ice canyons on this one.

It also meant sneaking around some restless local fauna. I've fought bigger, sure, that doesn't mean I like tangling with a hard target three times my height.

Just when I started thinking that fish-face Guss had given me bum directions, lo and behold we find Shai Tenna's secret lair.

A cozy kinda place. Half cantina, half black market warehouse, all kinds of trouble. I should open a tab.

Of course, no visit would be complete without checking in with the man of the house. I had his sensors and Guss's introduction. Time to see if I could sign on for a life of piracy.

Recommended for a fresh round of introductions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guPkdrhvLDU

Strong opening hand from Shai.

And here we meet the brains of the outfit, Alilia. Easy on the eyes, but her current relationship has... issues.

quote:

Shai Tenna: This is Alilia, slave of my body and queen of my heart. The best treasure I ever plundered.

Shai Tenna: So you have heard my name across the galaxy? Do they say it with fear?

Quinine: I heard the White Maw might have room for someone like me.

Shai Tenna: I have heard of you, too. The starship captain who came from nowhere to recover the treasure of Nok Drayen.

So my foot's in the door, but he and I both know I'm not signing on at the bottom like some two-cred cantina rat, and that means a tougher interview. The burden of being an overqualified criminal.

quote:

Quinine: Why do I feel like it won't be this easy?

Shai Tenna: Ah, a smart one. The Gen'Dai run the White Maw. To get their notice, you must first help me, no?

Shai Tenna: Woman! You tell him.

Alilia: My love and lord has a rival, a Devaronian named Kandhar.

Shai Tenna: He brought cold-weather droids and blaster rifles. The Gen'Dai like this very, very much.

quote:

Quinine: I wouldn't want to see anyone stop your meteoric rise.

Shai Tenna: Do not return here until he is taken care of.

Shai Tenna: Woman, tell him what to do with Kandhar. I am needed elsewhere.

Alilia: That drooling idiot knows nothing about Kandhar or what he's asking you to take on.

That got me to pop an eyebrow. So much for her “sun and stars” shtick.

That got the other eyebrow up too. She's clearly a cut above Shai in the brains department, but sussing out an Imperial connection like that gets my respect.

quote:

Quinine: You ever thought of escaping, putting those talents to work somewhere else?

Alilia: Are you making an offer? Show me you're a sure thing, and we'll talk.

Alilia: The pirates here like being independent. If you expose this deal, Kandhar's men will tear him apart.

Alilia: There's a secret tunnel in the mines nearby; it leads to the spot where Kandhar meets his Imperial supplier.

I'm leaning toward expose. I like a good mutiny, and even pirates deserve better than getting sold down the river by their captain.

Alilia, though. She's got style, and she deserves better than a life as some pirate's plaything. Might be a little risky, considering Shai Tenna's my way into the White Maw, but what's life without a little risk, right?

##End Log##