Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #082
Stardate: Taking off running.

Had a little glimpse of what’s supposed to make Hoth worth all this trouble today, and can’t say I’m happy. Not surprised, either.

Guss gave us the directions for the White Maw’s real base, where Shai Tenna was holding their super-secret cloaking thing. Sure enough, it was right in the middle of the starship graveyard where the Republic fleet got laid to rest in the war.

They don’t just let any old spacer wander through the Republic’s choice wreckage, and that plus my name recognition meant getting called up to meet the commander of the salvage operation. I could get clearance for an attack on the White Maw, but only if I did him a little favor first.

quote:

Admiral Revald: I’m Admiral Revald. The Zabrak with the sunny disposition is my chief engineer, Arim. Welcome to the best place on Hoth!

Quinine: Shouldn’t you be with the fleet?

Admiral Revald: I should be on the front lines! You see where we are? Take a good look around you. This is the turning point of the war.

Yeah, he’s one of those officers.

quote:

Admiral Revald: This isn’t just a battle for Hoth. We win out here, and we’ve got the whole war with the Empire in the bag.

Quinine: What makes this frozen wasteland worth fighting for?

Admiral Revald: Spread across that ice field is what’s left of one of our capital ships. She was carrying a top secret weapon prototype.

Admiral Revald: The Null Cannon. It can fry all the machinery on a starship without giving the crew so much as a hangnail.

I’ve heard that line before. High command’s always looking for a silver-bullet solution. So far not one of their superweapons have changed the course of the war like they promised, but hey, maybe this one’ll buck the trend?

quote:

Quinine: You wouldn’t still be here if this was a simple salvage mission.

Admiral Revald: We found the wreckage. Trouble is, pirates got there first – snatched up several pieces of our prototype, striking from a hidden base.

Admiral Revald: We’ve deployed the Talz and the infantry. They’re taking heavy losses out there, and we’re not getting any closer to the Null Cannon.

Admiral Revald: We can’t allow these thieving scum to leave Hoth with a weapon that can take out any starship in the galaxy!

Quinine: One prototype, coming up.

Honestly, I was only doing it to keep this blowhard from sending out more of his men to get killed over something that probably isn’t even going to work.

quote:

Admiral Revald: Keep an eye out for anything that will help us track the scum back to their lair, and contact me once all the fragments of the power core are secure.

Yeah, yeah, knuckle down for the big win and all that.

At least it was easy enough to find. There were ruined starships all over the ice – this must’ve been one hell of a fleet in its day. Makes our little shootouts on this ice-cube seem small time.

The power signatures were nice and easy to track. Sometimes we managed to beat the pirates there.

Other times, we had to get creative.

Once we had the parts, we snuck down into the bowels of one of the downed ships to report back to the Admiral. Turns out some of these ships still have power – whoever the Republic pays for batteries, they’re not paying them enough.

quote:

Admiral Revald: You made quick work of that motherless space trash! Well done!

Admiral Revald: Now our troops can take the fight to them!

Chief Engineer Arim: I hate to interrupt, but the data suggests these components were from the ancillary, not main, power core. That’s… bad.

Quinine: We still kept part of the Null Cannon out of the pirates’ hands. It can’t be catastrophic.

So yeah, all that sneaking and part-stripping I showed you? Complete waste of time. Now you know how I felt.

quote:

Admiral Revald: You’ll have to go into their base after it. Hit those sons of Hutts before they know we’re coming.

Quinine: Do we know anything about the pirates or their operations I can use?

Chief Engineer Arim: That datapad puts the pirate base inside a huge system of ice caverns not far from here.

Admiral Revald: Half the scum in the galaxy will be in there.

Admiral Revald: Chief Engineer Revald and a squad of Talz will be on your heels. Once the pirates are down, Arim will secure the Null Cannon for transport.

Sending Arim – what ever happened to “on the front lines!”?

With the data I’d “acquired” from some of the pirates, finding their salvage op wasn’t too hard. Looks like they’d dragged the parts to a nearby ice cave to reassemble. Kinda like one of those ships in a bottle, if the bottle was a freezer.

The pirates had some security, but nothing special. I’ve gotta remember to stock back up on Ion grenades before we hit the White Maw base and deal with Shai Tenna.

Didn’t seem like there were enough of them to run a base like that. Nearest I can figure is the bulk of ‘em were still out there looking for more salvage.

The captain was there, though, and he was what you might call a character.

Recommended for rapid-fire negotiating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL9FrxGjJ8U

quote:

Quinine: I don’t talk to pirates.

Captain Sero: “Pirate” is such a harsh word. I’m more of a salvager, saving these poor, lost ships. Putting wreckage to good use! Nothing wrong with that.

Captain Sero: It so happens that I can give you what you came for without any more of that… unpleasant killing business.

Well, that put a wrinkle in the plan. Not to mention I’m a little stunned a rinky-dink pirate operation in the middle of nowhere had the gear to build a dozen copies of a Republic prototype weapon – why not just ship it off-world and do it there?

quote:

Quinine: You built copies of a Republic superweapon, and you think it’s a good idea to admit it?

Captain Sero: Now you know what you’re bargaining for.

Captain Sero: I propose a trade: You leave here with the weapons, we leave here with our lives. That’s fair, don’t you think?

Pirates are cowards, as a rule. Sure, they’re happy to jack an unprotected transport and vent the crew to space for the sweet cargo, but anything bites back and they take off running. So yeah, Sero was probably smart enough not to try anything funny and actually give up the goods in exchange for his scummy life.

I figured, why let them go when they’ll just be causing trouble for somebody else down the line? Safer to bury them in the snow.

To reinforce my point, and also to reinforce me, Arim and the Talz turned up.

Don’t yet.

Sero’s pirate lackeys were nothing, especially since Sero himself got neck-deep in Talz immediately.

He would’ve stood no chance against me one on one, so having Akaavi, Arim and some eight-foot carpets with fists backing me up was just unfair.

At first I figured a job well done, but Arim was frowning something fierce. I mean, more than he apparently usually does.

quote:

Quinine: You showed up right in the nick of time.

Chief Engineer Arim: You know, if you want to mention that to Admiral Revald, that’s fine by me.

Chief Engineer Arim: I should report in.

Admiral Revald: Arim… that you? Heavy fire… a lot of… interference. What… status?

Chief Engineer Arim: Admiral, we’ve secured the Null Cannon but there’s been a… complication.

Typical. I doubt he’d be listening even if the signal did get through.

quote:

Chief Engineer Arim: Blast it! I can’t get the signal back. Now what do we do?

Quinine: We were sent in here for the Null Cannon, and now we get it out of here.

Chief Engineer Arim: We were sent in here for one Null Cannon. Singular. Not dozens.

Chief Engineer Arim: The forces we have can just about hold this hangar long enough to get the prototype out of here. But the rest of these copies…

He had a point. Much as I didn’t buy into the admiral’s hype, these were dangerous toys to leave to a bunch of pirates. Or worse still, the Empire.

quote:

Quinine: Let them send more pirates, we can handle them.

Chief Engineer Arim: We don’t have a transport that can carry all of these copies off Hoth. We’d be defending this hangar for weeks. Maybe months.

Chief Engineer Arim: The only way to keep the copies out of the pirates hands is to overload the Null Cannon prototype, wipe out everything in the hangar at once.

Chief Engineer Arim: The prototype would be fried, but I’d rather spend months fixing it than live knowing that even one of these copies was left behind.

The drat things probably don’t even work, and definitely won’t “change the course of the war” like Revald thinks. Might as well play it safe, I’ve got enough trouble sleeping at night.

quote:

Chief Engineer Arim: Stand back.

Good work, for a tech-jockey. I can understand why Arim’s so grim all the time, caddying for a gasbag like the admiral, but he made the right call here and showed some grit back in that firefight. Hope he makes it off Hoth in one piece.

As for me, I’ve got my clearance, and that means it’s time to give Shai Tenna a little payback.

##End Log##