Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #082
Stardate: Top of the pirate foodchain

Best I put this down now, since there’s a chance I’ll be cuffed once this speeder makes it back to Aurek base. The short version is the Senator’s not going to like how Hoth turned out. The long version, well…

The White Maw’d set up shop inside a crashed Republic dreadnought – because when you’re the most wanted pirate band in known space, subtlety just ain’t your style.

Neither was top-flight security. I get the feeling the White Maw might’ve bitten off more than they can chew with the Star of Coruscant, there’s just no way to secure a ship this big with a band of rowdy pirates.

After getting lost and getting into fights for a while, we finally found our way toward the brig. Conveniently, the White Maw were using the actual ship’s brig, which made all the handy maps on the walls useful.

Sure enough it was under guard, but Guss was on hand to help us sneak in. I wasn’t putting much faith in Guss’s sneaking skills after his last few attempts, so it was time for me to show the rookie how it’s done.

Recommended for a master class in deception
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtw5WUppTCw

quote:

Guss: But these guys aren’t too bright. I mean, they’re used to: Shai Tenna barks, they jump.

Guss: We should be able to put one over on them, no problem. I’ll follow your lead.

quote:

Quinine: Didn’t anybody warn you guys about Hothian ice fever?

I know, right? Brilliant. I just came up with it, too.

quote:

Guss: No! I’m not sick! I’m too young to die! Aaarrrrgh!

Guss: Oh, no! Everyone back up! If this is the ice plague, every drop of infected spittle contains enough virus to kill a dozen men!

White Maw Guard T’uu: What are you talking about?

Too bad Wan was a little too bright to take the bait. I had to sweeten the pot a little.

quote:

Quinine: I’ve got the antidote, but it’ll cost you.

Guss: You’d better take it. There’s only three doses left on Hoth because the Empire’s blockading supplies – trying to wipe us out.

White Maw Guard Wan: Why haven’t we heard anything about this?

White Maw Guard T’uu: I’m not risking it. How much for a dose? This is all I’ve got.

Quinine: Hand over the credits, open the door, and my associate will give you the cure.

Guss played his part well.

*Pew Pew*

There might be hope for him yet.

We split up to find the thing faster. Guss took the empty parts of the Brig.

Me and Akaavi took the part filled with goddamn pirates.

Just when my blasting hand was starting to get tired, I spotted a familiar face – and a very, very unfamiliar one.

Don’t bother asking me what species the boy is, because even after a lifetime out in the galaxy I don’t know.

quote:

Trick: Trick! Trick… starships gone, mama. All gone.

Alilia: Hush, love, the starships are fine. Get some sleep.

Alilia: Well, if someone had to find out, I’m glad it was you. You’ve tracked down our secret weapon.

Quinine: What secret weapon?

And here’s my problem. This isn’t the haul Dodonna was hoping I’d snap up for her.

quote:

Alilia: It’s his own bad luck the effect is powerful enough to extend over an entire fleet.

Quinine: So, I’ve been shot by pirates, mauled by wampas, frozen vital body parts, and there is no cloaking device?

Alilia: What there is, is a living child who suffers every minute he’s with the White Maw.

Alilia: He can’t use the Force consciously. It only works if he’s terrified, so they torture him to keep him in a constant state of fear.

Glad I had the mask on, because I was downright ashamed Alilia thought she had to be me like that to save Trick. The girl’s clearly put up with a lot of bad men.

quote:

Quinine: You deserve better than a life as Shai Tenna’s plaything.

Akaavi: What use can this slave possibly be to you?

Alilia: Hold me. Make me forget what it feels like when he touches me.

I didn't expect Akaavi to understand, and Alilia's admiration still made me feel like a sleaze, but I still could've worked things out if not for...

Damnit, Guss.

quote:

Shai Tenna: Hands off my property, dog!

Shai Tenna: I will kill her first, and make you watch while she screams for me!

Quinine: Every time she touched you, she was plotting to destroy you!

Shai Tenna: When your lover is dead, you will be the one to put the shocks on the boy! I have been too soft on you.

Alilia: No!

It was a cheap shot, but I wanted to twist the knife some before literally twisting the knife.

Shai Tenna himself? Nothing. A big old thug, nothing special to fight. Even his shield didn’t hold up. All that made the man scary was those he’d scared into working for him, and you can see how long that kind of loyalty lasts.

Case in point…

Recommended for a long-distance communique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXvf0n0CVNM

quote:

White Maw Sergeant Karhei: If Shai Tenna’s not cracking the whip, we’ve got no call to fight you. The White Maw cut us loose.

White Maw Sergeant Karhei: And it looks like the lady ain’t so keen on keeping up the attack.

quote:

White Maw Sergeant Karhei: So, where to next, boss?

Alilia: Where… is he talking to me?

Quinine: Forget these pirates. Come away with me and start a new life.

Alilia: Would I be a fool if I closed my eyes and said “take me away from all this”?

I, uh… I should maybe check the comm channel settings on the bead in my helmet.

quote:

Alilia: But what about Trick? The Republic sent you to find the White Maw’s secret, right?

Alilia: With a war to win, they’re going to use him just like Shai Tenna did.

Quinine: Do you really think I’d do anything to hurt you?

Alilia: When Shai Tenna took me to Hoth… I never thought I’d be warm again.

Alilia: I’ll bring Trick to the Republic base. Don’t make me wait too long.

And that’s that, although it’s left me with a bit of a mess. Alilia and her boy are out of harm’s way, the White Maw’s taken a beating and I’m finally clear to get off this snowball and go find somewhere warmer to cause trouble.

Except…

quote:

Lieutenant Kollis: We, ah, met earlier. That business with the ship-to-ship sensors?

Lieutenant Kollis: I spoke to Senator Dodonna and verified your assignment, but there’s a few things to clear up before you leave.

Quinine: I’m here. What do you need?

Lieutenant Kollis: I’d rather talk in person.

Lieutenant Kollis: I’m taking over Major Panin’s duties, and I wanted to clear up his records.

Now this gives me a bad feeling. Hopefully Dodonna’s gonna be understanding about the collateral I racked up on this mission, not to mention not getting her cloaker in the end. Easy to forget I’ve got a boss now.

We’ve got to make a stop at the starship graveyard base on our way out. Wish me luck.

##End Log##

This update brought to you despite me suffering Earthian Regular Fever, which has left my brain a burning ball of twine. See you if/when I recover!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 21, 2014