Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

Oh I know you weren't promoting the opinion, merely describing it. I was just using that as a jumping off point to talk about the inherent double-standard, where straight firemen can get on a parade float in tight denim pants and show off their shirtless torsos for women and that's just our brave boys, but a float of gay guys in speedos or leather? Perverts! Why, no wonder gays don't have equal rights when they alienate decent people with such lascivious diplays!

And yeah, I do hear that condemnation from inside the gay community and it makes me :smith:. You'd think if any group knew how unjust it is to be judged by the way they talk, the way they live, and the clothes they wear, it'd be gay people but here we are talking about whether we should "accept" someone who wears this or walks like that.

Actually, I do agree with some version of the opinion. Its framing is consequentialist, a bit like(wait for it) a tone argument! A great deal of the disconnect on these arguments tends to come down to the framing of the asserted action. If the goal is improving acceptance of homosexuality, then discarding the artifacts of the subculture, which are not homosexuality qua itself, may be a productive step depending on the setting, artifact and circumstances. And yeah, I do hate the hetero cheesecake too, although that's not an element of the argument- raising the firemen float is a tu quoque not relevant to the purpose of criticizing the arguments in favor of or against a constructed cultural identity built on outsider status.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 25, 2014