Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

EPISODE 16: MAGICAL TREES

Previously posted:

Mystic-in-training GADEN-KO is key to securing an alliance between the REPUBLIC and the VOSS. But he's embarked on a dangerous pilgrimage and it's up to JOLUNE to rescue him...

It's like the entire planet was dunked in caramel.

I'll... take your word for it.

So, before we rescue Gaden-Ko we have to find these special ritual trees.

Right.

Because the Voss would be more bothered by us saving Gaden-Ko's life while being impure, than they would be by him getting eaten by monsters.

Purity or death. The Voss might have more problems than I thought.

There's the first tree.

Got it!

This is the weeniest Yggdrassil ever.

Here's the next one.

...What are we meant to be doing with these sticks anyway?

That's obvious. We... uh... rub them? ...Ritually?

That doesn't sound right.

You try coming up with something.

We... wave them about! While chanting a ritual hymn.

We meditate on them. We become one with the sticks.

We burn them... and breathe in the holy smoke!

We hit each other with them until we see visions.

We... eat them. And gain magic stick powers.

Now you're just being silly.

Behold! The Tree... Of Deaaaaaaath!

We now have the Branch... Of Deeeeeeath!

It is now time for the Ritual... Of Deeeeeeeath!

:roflolmao:

...Man, I hope Gaden-Ko hasn't been eaten.

:saddowns:

Bleh. I hate caves.

Aw, this one isn't so bad. Well lit, quite warm, no big piles of skulls...

I think you spoke too soon on the skulls front.

Nadia has a few AoE attacks which damage enemies around her, hence the purple glow. One of her attacks also knocks back nearby enemies, which can be a pain if you're trying to melee them, but does look quite funny in action.

Is that Gaden-Ko?

He's in bad shape...

[VIDEO: Our New Best Friend]

Heal hand, go!

All happenings are necessary. Still their deaths... trouble me.

I can't believe anyone is cold enough to say something like that. Seriously, we're standing on their bones?!

This pilgrimage is for Voss; too long delayed. These deaths... have a purpose. Pilgrimage would have revealed it, but my journey ends. My family gone, holy grounds defiled. An outsider trespasses.

I came hoping to accompany you on your pilgrimage.

You are an outsider. Can I trust someone not Voss?

I can only be who I am--to trust me is your decision.

...You may accompany.

You won't regret this! We're real Jedi!

Good? When I become Mystic, you shall witness my visions.

If you don't have the gift, what marked you as a potential visionary?

Intuition. Enabling victories against Gormak.

Master, I think we picked the wrong Mystic.

I'm sure he's a fine young Voss. Really.

First, a marker on the pilgrimage path. I pay homage to Lishi-Na.

Gaden-Ko, your family should be laid to rest before we leave.

I will... send word. Time is short. Pilgrimage will explain this.

I don't think it will.

You are not Voss. You leave first. Call on your device if it is safe. I follow.

KEN-LA OUTPOST...

Master, Gaden-Ko seems like kind of... Kind of an...um...

”rear end in a top hat” Nadia. You're still allowed to swear.

OK then. But are we really going to help him?

Yes. He's just a kid, and he's alone.

He's not that young. He must be the same age as me.

Exactly.

...Hey! I'm--

Come on Nadia. An ambassador awaits.

[VIDEO: The Ambassador's Reception] (could the Empire have picked a smugger diplomat?)

The Empire offers more power and protection than the Republic ever could, minus the rigid codes of morality.

The Empire forgets. The Voss protect themselves.

Hello!

Lord Beldiss, speaking on behalf of the Empire.

Charmed. Mwahahahaha... ahem. I'm honestly not evil.

Laryn-Ki, envoy to the Three.

Prophecies. Mystics. Tradition. Harrumph.

It's a pleasure to meet you.

Ambassador Jannik asked for this meeting.

:smuggo:

I'd like to show the Voss something different. An example of everything the Republic stands for.

This is your example? The person responsible for attacking Moff Kilran in defence of a known fugitive?

(Continuity!)

A Jedi must do what is right.

If necessary.

And it's not like I did it alone. There were four of us along on that adventure.

Exactly. Trusting the fate of our entire civilization to four ragtag heroes is the greatest example of everything the Republic stands for!

Pah. The Empire would never be so foolish.

The Voss look forward. Outsiders look back. I will say no more. *bzzt*

An excellent example, Ambassador. Weak and hopeless, like you. *bzzt*

He's the best diplomat the Sith could dredge up?

Beldiss is amazingly persuasive. Maybe it's the accent...

Diplomacy isn't usually the Sith's style.

The Empire already tried to conquer Voss. The Voss annihilated them like they'd been prepared for years. Diplomacy's their only option.

Or they could just leave.

They never just leave.

We know Lord Beldiss has spies in Voss-Ka. Our scouts think he's using some defunct Voss comm towers to communicate with them- the comm logs could prove Lord Beldiss has designs against the Voss. I need someone to make it past the Empire's defenses.

Isn't a firefight worse than spying on someone?

If it doesn't disturb the peace or threaten the Voss, they don't concern themselves with it.

A pitched battle doesn't count as disturbing the peace?

Maybe if we fight really quietly?

AT THE COMM TOWERS...

Aaaaarghhh!!!

Shhh!

Hmm... duty rosters... letters home... an argument about which Dark Council member has the nicest hat...

...diplomatic notes... dry cleaning bills... an argument about which Dark Council member has the nicest butt...

...tea house reviews... satellite pictures.. Darth Baras ordering a round of executions for “misuse of comm channels”... Oh, here we go. Intelligence reports.

Let's get them back to Ambassador Jannik.

Spin this all you like, Ambassador. You tampered with Voss communications towers.

Is that a fact, Lord Beldiss? I suppose I forged the Imperial comm logs that came out of them, too.

Those involved will answer. Did you strike against Voss?

I was acting on behalf of Voss.

The Voss were unaware.

:iceburn:

:argh:

The towers were abandoned. No Voss were harmed. This will not happen again.

*bzzt*

He wears black armor, he has creepy tattoos, and he talks about being free from “rigid codes of morality”! Why are you having a hard time convincing the Voss our intentions are purer than his?!

Look, I--I'm still new at this.

:ughh: How can Laryn-Ki ignore the Empire's crimes?

He's been fed lies and false promises by every outsider he's met. I don't blame him for wanting undeniable proof.

Terrax is one of Imperial Intelligence's best agents--but now he'll be executed. We can't let that happen.

How did you learn of this?

Standard Imperial procedure--now that his operation has been exposed. If we save Terrax, he might talk.

Your style of diplomacy is a lot more exciting than my father's.

Tell me about it.

The SIS spotted a new Dusk Squadron camp nearby. They're Imperial assassins, and their location is perfect for a quiet execution. I'm willing to bet they're here for Terrax.

Terrax could refuse to follow a Jedi.

If he makes that mistake, he'll find out fast enough.

NEXT TIME: Jolune does her bit for Imperial Intelligence, and Lord Beldiss inspires the troops.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Ambassador Jannik posted:

Many Republic visitors to Voss mistake Ambassador Jannik for one of his aides. Young and enthusiastic, the ambassador is determined to stand as a symbol of Republic integrity in Voss-Ka against the scheming of the Empire–but he’s found it an uphill struggle. Ambassador Jannik has frequently clashed with the Empire’s Sith diplomats, and is struggling to find a way to counter their smooth charm.

As part of his attempts to understand the Voss, Ambassador Jannik has accumulated a small library of Voss books and plays, and even converted to a traditional Voss diet. The Voss appear to view his efforts as merely more “outsider strangeness,” but Ambassador Jannik has also commented that he now prefers Voss food to the supplies sent by the Republic.
Voss weeaboo!