Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

EPISODE 17: MURDER, MAYHEM AND DIPLOMACY

Previously posted:

That snooty LORD BELDISS thinks he's so smart! We'll show him when we rescue MALCOLM TERRAX from DUSK SQUADRON, and he spills the beans on the EMPIRE's secret plans...

Be careful Nadia. Dusk Squadron are the Empire's top assassins.

But they're not Sith?

You don't need the Force to be good at killing folks.

It helps though. It really helps.

Malcolm Terrax? The Republic's offering you a pardon. In exchange for information.

That's kind of you, Jedi, but I'm not that easy.

Revenge? Imperials love revenge. Being executed for doing my job might make me a little angry.

We're trained to think of it as our final duty.

I was wondering why you hadn't just walked out of your cage. You could drive a tank between these bars.

So for the Republic to give me a fighting chance, I'll need credits, supplies and transport offworld.

The SIS will protect you.

I can't believe you said that with a straight face.

Perhaps I'll leave you here instead.

We both know you won't.

Go on, get out of here.

Safe in the arms of the Republic.

ONE MASSIVE BRIBE LATER...

His price was steep, but worth it. There's no way Lord Beldiss can talk his way out of this.

Ooh, what is it? Evidence of Lord Beldiss secretly being evil? Strangling kittens, electrocuting orphans?

Wearing an “I :love: Gormak” t-shirt?

What? No. Terrax was in Voss-Ka to identify failed Mystics. Lord Beldiss is offering them an alternative--joining the Sith.

How can you be a failed Mystic? You either have visions or you don't.

Lord Beldiss has found the Voss' weak spot. He converts enough failed Mystics, and the Empire won't need an alliance.

That's a good plan. Why aren't we doing it?

I'd offer an alternative, but the Jedi see the Mystics as a threat.

:sigh: We're kind of dumb like that. Have the Mystics shown any interest in the Jedi?

They might if it was an option. But we have to save them first.

The Sith have a training camp there. If we catch them with the failed Mystics, the Voss will have to take notice.

The Voss may not be willing to leave their new Sith life. Once you go black, you never go back.

We'll deal with that when it arises.

AT THE OLD CITY...

These ruins remind me of Tython.

I still haven't been there.

You'd like it. Beautiful mountains, lush forests, giant statues of old women...

Where are the Voss?

Let's get these corpses off the console and call Jannik.

:gonk:

You get used to it. You shouldn't, but you do. Now, grab the feet.

*static*

It's strange; it's almost as if you want the Voss to condemn you.

Beldiss! :argh:

So far, you've stolen files from Voss installations, freed a condemned criminal and done murder in the ruins of an ancient Voss city. An interesting strategy.

You can't deny the proof, Lord Beldiss.

There's no need; I've broken no law. The Voss joined me willingly.

Objection!

Come see for yourself. Our coordinates are in this console. My acolytes would welcome the chance to show off their skills.

You'll show them the true nature of the Sith sooner or later.

My acolytes have seen the ways of the Sith. Perhaps you can't accept that they prefer them.

*bzzt*

What do we do?

We walk into the obvious trap. Beldiss will try to kill us, we defeat him, and then things will probably work out for the best.

I hope I'm as wise as you someday, Master.

Are you being sarcastic, Nadia?

Me? Never.

Creepy. It's like the Empire's assimilating Voss.

Beldiss!

[VIDEO: Absolute Loyalty]

No! It should be purple! Purple, drat you! Uggh... Anyway. Like the Voss, the Republic has deemed you unworthy. They send their best to kill me, and end your instruction.

This is the only way you could get Voss to join the Empire.

The Empire has made us strong.

As Sith, we have purpose. We have chosen.

Once you've served your purpose, the Sith will destroy you.

We have seen no evidence.

What have we seen? Combat training, levitation, storms of lightning.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet.

I mean that there is a theme to what we've learned.

And that theme is :black101:

There are others. The Jedi.

The Jedi fear us. We know only their power. Would they teach us?

The Jedi are waiting for you to ask.

We are willing.

Republic lies! The Jedi will never let you achieve your full potential.

I'm impressed by the devotion of your followers.

Shut up.

It took me a whole 30 seconds to persuade them to change sides.

Shut up.

You must be a really charismatic teacher to inspire such loyalty!

...I hate the Voss.

Mystics are chosen. We let failure overwhelm us. We must find our place. It may be with Jedi.

The Jedi need to understand the Mystics.

We will share.

Let's go tell Jannik the good news.

I need to think of a diplomatic way to say “we totally just whacked the Empire's ambassador.”

BACK AT JANNIK'S OFFICE...

Master Delsa, I had no contact with the failed Mystics. The Republic had nothing to do with this.

Any Mystic, even a failed one, is raw, dangerous power. How could you offer them Jedi training?

You'd prefer we leave them to the Sith? The Jedi can teach the Voss to use their power.

And when they turn against us? Or hadn't you thought that far ahead...?

Human Jedi fall to the Dark Side all the time, but we haven't stopped training them.

I've said my piece. Ambassador Jannik tells me Laryn-Ki is on his way. I'll leave you to your diplomacy. *bzzt*

It's a light side decision to offer the Voss sanctuary in the Order, otherwise you have to kill them along with Beldiss. Inducting them gets you this scene where a random Jedi Master shows up to berate you for your actions.

The scene maybe makes sense if you're doing this quest as a smuggler or trooper, but it's completely stupid if you're a Jedi yourself. Especially if you're a Jedi Consular who, by this stage in the game, definitely outranks Master Delsa.

You don't have to deal with the fallout. I didn't think relations between the Order and the Republic could get any worse.

[This concept never comes up anywhere else in the game.]

No matter how the Jedi feel, the Republic needs this alliance, and you brought us one step closer. Remember that.

The Mystics have a vision. An outsider will end the threat of the Gormak. We believe it is you.

I'm honored, but there's a lot of outsiders here.

You protected the lost potentials. Our intepreters considered this. The Mystics see, the Three decide, the Voss act. You are not Voss. Will you follow this vision?

If it's a vision of the future, how can I not?

:confused:

What do you need me to do?

Laryn-Ki is bound by the Mystics' vision, but he wants to be sure you're prepared. He's asking that you complete the Mystics' trials at the Shrine of Healing, something no ordinary Voss has ever survived.

I'm no Mystic, but I'll find a way. I might need some more back-up for this...

Master?

You'll need to make the pilgrimage to the Shrine of Healing. The guide, Suva-Rak, leads a pilgrim camp near the local transport.

NEXT TIME: Q-team unite!

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Potential Mystics posted:

Voss Mystics are both born and made. Children who show signs of talent in either prophecy or healing are sent to the Tower of Prophecy for training and study. When these potentials are old enough, they may go on a pilgrimage across Voss where they visit holy sites, fast and meditate on their future roles.

A potential’s training does not end until he either performs a great act of healing or experience a vision. If a potential Mystic begins his training but fails to complete it, he is allowed to re-enter Voss society and is referred to as a “lost potential.” Although there is no stigma to failing Mystic training, lost potentials are often left feeling isolated from other Voss due to their long study and experience of the rituals at the Tower of Prophecy. What greater role lost potentials will fulfill in the Voss prophecies is still an unanswered question.