Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

EPISODE 30: BEST FRIENDS FOREVER

Previously posted:

*dramatic music sting* SYO BAKARN is the FIRST SON?! Intelligence recovered from the Empire points to the renowned Jedi Master leading a secret double life! Could he be the leader of the CHILDREN OF THE EMPEROR? With that story we go live to JOLUNE MOL'NEUX on CORELLIA...

*bzzt*

[VIDEO: Mwahahahahahaaa!]

And? Is that it?

It can't be...

That's everything. Aw, it cut off at the best part!

...Or, you know, not seeing.

What have we done?

Contact Syo, quickly.

Master Bakarn... I...

J'accuse!

We should give him a chance to explain.

Syo, please. Tell me this isn't true.

Fate has set me a challenge. I had hoped for more time, but all things must adapt or die.

Then it is true.

But I've known Syo for years! Was that a lie? A mind trick?

I do respect the truth, and all its uses. You kindly entrusted the Guardian Holds to me. And I, in turn, entrusted them to my brothers and sisters.

”Hey, there's Sith infiltrators running around. Let's gather all our forces in critical facilities.” Stupid, stupid, stupid!

*bzzt*

We... just lost communication to the Guardian Holds. All our troops, their leaders...

If he takes the Guardian Holds, he can take Coronet City; that's the entire purpose of the Holds. Corellia is lost!

But... there's still hope?

Weren't you paying attention, child? Our troops are dead, our Jedi are dead! It is the considered judgement of this Council that everything is hosed.

We have the Alliance.

Oh! Of course! The Rift Alliance. Thanks goodness we still have all those planets no one ever loving heard of. I'm sure the army of space cows and mystical assholes will save the Republic.

:sigh: That is true. Annoyingly. We must act.

We must ensure the Guardian Holds are not in enemy hands. But if they have fallen, your forces are our best hope to retake them.

We won't let you down, Master Satele.

The closest is Guardian Hold Six, a large walker factory.

I'll send word to our allies to meet us there, Jedi.

*mipmip mipmip*

That's the least surprising news I've heard all day.

Guardian Hold Six has been taken by the enemy, apparently from within. And the other Guardian Holds have fallen too.

The First Son mentioned hiding his “siblings” inside the Guardian Holds, but I though we'd have more time.

We've had one stroke of luck, a very small one. Apparently a few soldiers escaped the fighting, they've made a small camp; we could meet you there and put a strategy together.

Let these soldiers know that reinforcements are on the way.

Actually, I'm not sure how that will be received.

*bzzt*

This is really not the time for traditional Balmorran understatement.

We need to get moving. It's a long drive to Labor Valley.

You two go on ahead. I'll hook up with the troops heading for the front line.

So, who saw that twist coming? Voss lays it on thick with the foreshadowing- the vision quest, the grandfather spirit and Sophia all set up the truth about Bakarn. It's also interesting to note that the one time Bakarn shows up in another class' story, it's in the Jedi Knight scene where the Council discuss the Children of the Emperor.

But even before that I felt it was kind of obvious it would be Bakarn, simply because there's really no-one else it could be. The First Son had to be someone Jolune knew, as it isn't much of a plot if the secret traitor is a complete stranger. They couldn't be a companion, for gameplay reasons, or an Ambassador, as we already had one of them betray us. They probably had to be male, otherwise the name's a bit weird.

That just leaves Master Syo, Master Jaric and Chancellor Janarus. And Jaric and Janarus both show up in other endgame content (~no spoilers~), so it couldn't be them, although admittedly you wouldn't know that if you played the Consular story first.

:saddowns:

Things are going to get worse, aren't they?

Yes.

...You know, I thought Syo was the single most boring man in the universe when we first met. But I grew to appreciate his... stability. Inner peace, I suppose you'd call it. The Jedi ideal. Hard to believe it was a mask.

Inner peace. Heh.

We are friends. Remember, a Jedi listens first, and strikes only if necessary.

Reassuring to know that betrayal and bloodshed can't halt the aphorisms.

So these people are with you, Master? I couldn't quite believe it, not after today.

Yes. We quite understand.

The Council entrusted Guardian Hold Six to me and... my friend, Aelan Kalder.

”Friend”

Just another battle together, we said. And it was, at first...

Go on when you're ready.

Thank you, Master.

When I could stand again, he was killing our soldiers. I tried to stop him... Now Guardian Hold Six belongs to the Empire. How could Aelan do this? Even as we dualed, I felt no darkness, nothing!

It's not your fault. Aelan was a sleeper agent placed by the Sith. They're everywhere now.

I didn't think this situation could be any worse.

We must shut down the production line. But Guardian Hold Six is a fortress, with no way inside.

You escaped, with many wounded. How?

In the fighting, a wall junction exploded and overloaded the security grid. But the junction will be repaired by now.

A precise hit could knock the security grid out for good.

We cannot, not from the outside. But the wall itself. That may be vulnerable.

Any loss is a tragedy. But this is the only way.

Ah, rationalisation.

Shut up, Tharan. ...I imagine Balmorra's droids know what to do with walkers.

Here are the codes to shut down the production line. And, Master, Aelan is still somewhere inside.

AT THE FACTORY...

Not the most pleasant part of town.

I can't tell whether it's down to Tai's droids, Imperial bombs, or Corellia's lax building regulations.

I hope that's not a load bearing wall.

This must be the security system Orez mentioned.

Let's see if his password still works...

Score!

Still using the same passwords? The Empire's sysadmins should be shot.

They probably will be.

The production is shut off. No more walkers.

Don't celebrate yet. The droids report one of the Imperial walker crews followed them and activated hostile units on the factory floor. Our droids are having a tough time. Anything you can do?

Alert the droids that friendly forces are coming.

Good, good. I can't send any more in time.

Quick! Faster! The poor wardroids may be getting hurt!

I'm running as fast as I can!

I was... I was being sarcastic. Honestly, Jedi.

Your objective for this section is to kill 15 Imperials before moving on to the boss. Despite the chatter before, there are no allied droids around. No enemy walkers either.

:effort:

HELP.

[VIDEO: Superfriend]

Let me guess. You're evil, right?

Jedi are rats. Stomp on one, and another comes scuttling back in.

Jari was a loyal comrade who fought by your side.

And tortured me with his constant, goody-two-shoes snivelling.

Should we break for a moment so you can twirl your moustache? Or twirl your ridiculous chinbeard or whatever.

I'm not the villain here.

I took no pleasure in it. They forced my hand.

Lucky for me, I get to enjoy my duties.

Game face ooooo--holy sh--!

*PUSH'D!*

It's all in the wrists.

You got that right.

*WHUMP*

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*vwum*

NEXT TIME: What are friends for?

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

The Guardian Holds posted:

In warfare, capturing an objective is theoretically simple; holding it is not. This principle was applied to the defense of Corellia’s Coronet City with the creation of the Guardian Holds. Key sites were carefully chosen–manufacturing centers, easily fortified buildings, hospitals and underground bunkers. These sites were then furnished with heavy defenses, armaments and elite Republic troops. In the event that Coronet City was sacked or captured, these impenetrable Guardian Holds would become fortresses from which the Republic could retake the city.

The number and locations of the Guardian Holds is a closely-guarded secret held by the Republic’s military leaders and the Jedi Council. Some have questioned why so much expense has been invested specifically in protecting Corellia. The fact is that Corellia has strategic, economic and symbolic value to the Republic; the effort involved in the creation of the Guardian Holds only serves as evidence of the planet’s importance.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 26, 2014