Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
--------------------------
Mirror Imperial Path Pt 1
Can't Touch This

--------------------------

Alright, let's power through these mirror chapters! I'll mostly focus on getting the plot out and in the open, with some gameplay comments depending on if anything interesting occurs.

Scenario 17 - Get out of our way, Lester!

Böser's plot to use Rayguard as a pawn to release the full power of Chaos's Glory was foreseen by the sorcerer, Egbert. A severely wounded Böser and the Army of Light - now on the brink of annihilation - are all that remains in the Empire's way. Massing its forces for a final march to crush the remaining Descendants of Light, the company set off to realise Rayguard's future. The remnants of the Army of Light were encamped near the riverbank, guarded by Lester and a naval detachment.

Scenario 17 Pre-Battle/Deployment Cutscene

(CC:144)
Now, for the fighting to begin - basically, abuse teleport and get Vargas to smash the navy, Octavian and Leon to deal with the ground forces. Everyone else is support.

I don't have time to teach you weaklings how to fight.

You're going to fight or talk, punks?

This can't be true... Me... dead?

NEXT!

You gently caress heads want a piece of me? (CC:145)

I didn't expect this... C, cold... So cold...

How is this possible? M, my naval troops!?

You think you can take us with such pathetic tactics?

Shut up! All men, charge!

I didn't know they were so strong...

Turn 2...

Move fast and strike with a concerted blow. Don't mess this up!

Leave it to me!

Okay, this is it! Let's make 'em fear we salty sailors!

Hit hard and don't let them catch their breath!

Let's go, break through!

I won't let you pass. Your ambitions end here.

:golfclap: Well done, Lester. Well done but it's now our turn.

Give up, Lester!

You're kidding. You think I'll lose!?

I, I lost...

Uugghh...

Simply riveting stuff here. I feel this mission doesn't work as well as it does when you're riding on a high after killing Böser and getting to play with Alhazard. Ahh, well - them's the breaks, let's just keep plodding through, the story will be different hopefully.

Uugghh...
Is this the end...?

Ugggh-!
Heh heh heh... What a grave mistake... Heh...

Lester...

Octavian... Darkness will be stronger now than ever. Don't you think that's funny?
Here we are fighting and you're thinking this is the last time, this is it... But after your generation comes and goes, things will happen all over again.
No one ever listens to history and no one ever will. What do you know...

He then gives the exact same speech he gave to Egbert last time, pleading him not to fight Jessica. Only change is that he calls Egbert an rear end in a top hat - SCENARIO CLEAR! (CC:146)

Lester...

That man stood toe to toe with the Empire... through it all, he never ran.
You were a good soldier and a formidable rival, Lester.

Not to break the moment or anything, but this isn't the time to be sentimental. If we don't leave now, we'll lose our quarry.

drat right, I'm itching to kick some more rear end. Let's move it, shall we? (CC:147)

Farewell, my friend... and goodbye, my brother.

A very straight forward map, that is rather easy to complete. If we had taken our sweet time, on turn 5 reinforcements would have appeared and said little of value (no swears), so I didn't bother. If you really wanted to see that, please send me a PM and we will arrange something - alternately, you can fill in the blanks yourself using this template:

Now, let's move onto the next scenario.

Scenario 18 - Could you build a fortress whilst being pursued? The Army of Light sure can!

The Imperial troops, having finally cornered the Army of Light, were shocked to discover the light forces had erected a stronghold so quickly. The Army of Light constructed a small fortress on the sea that the company knew would be no easy task to breach. As friend and foe gathered along the shoreline, both sides knew this would be the final battle - regardless of who emerged victor.

Scenario 18 Pre-Battle/Deployment Cutscene

So, as always Teleport is broken as all hell. Too bad in the upcoming paths, it is far less abusable - well that and that I will be showing off alternate classes for guys like Rohga. Still look at this poo poo:

Suffice to say, all those men are trapped in an Octavian/Leon pincer... ignoring them outnumbering us of course. Go team! Kill them all!

You'll come all the way here!? No matter, we'll defeat you!

No.

What's all this blood... Uugghh... Ugh.

Sorry, old chap.

Obtained Magic Wand.

I'm finished...

Now for Octavian's end of the pincer.

You shall not pass!

:aaaaa: Jessica... It's up to you from here on...

Whilst that was an impressive display of pyromagic, unfortunately you ain't Gandalf, Mr Mage.

:histdowns: I'm grateful... to have played a part in... this climatic battle...

:kimchi: Aww, that's so cute. I almost regret my 'kill them all' stance for the sake of the LP now. All that remains is counter ambushing with Vargas.

F, gently caress... (CC:148)

M, my apologies! I couldn't avenge them...

After one turn of carnage, two generic units remain as well as Jessica & Cherie. Let's see if they have anything to say?

Almost time...
Everyone, counterattack!

Aaaahhhh! Now, let's take them out with one blow!

Please don't do anything reckless!

I won't let those Imperials think they can walk right in!
This area was peaceful before you bastards arrived! I won't forgive you! (CC:149)

Octavian, prepare to face my sword!

And that is that. Should wrap up this turn or the next. Leon moves to crush Cherie.

Show no mercy to the rebels, only to the women. That's my policy!

In your dreams!

Also, might as well chuck in Octavian vs Cherie dialogue here.

Cherie, stop this. I don't want to kill you!

What the hell are you suggesting? That I just give up? Keith, Aaron, Kalxath's men...
You want me to spit on their deaths!? I won't!
Only a selfish coward would think like you!

Actually you know what, dear reader? This is the goddamn mirror world and the objective states that only Jessica needs to die. Also, Cherie's death speech is the same as the normal world... so let's see if Masaya did something interesting with this player choice. Of course, that pirate is straight up hosed.

Don't be so conceited!

Foolish...

That Knight Master also dies but I forgot the screencap it.

P, Princess...

More gratuitous Teleporting later...
Once again, Octavian is ready to strike down his mentor figure and begin to guide his own fate... for the Empire!

Lady Jessica!

I had orders from Lushiris herself to guide the Descendants of Light.
But, somehow, it looks like this was their destiny... Cherie, I'm sorry I won't be by your side any longer.
But please, live. Leave this war behind you... and live as you please.
Live a happy life...
For my sake...

Yes, Jessica...

Egbert...
Please understand what I'm trying to accomplish. I need to wipe Böser and Chaos from the face of this world, to banish them eternally.

Master, you've fulfilled your duties admirably. Please rest in peace... and leave this world in our hands.

It's up to you now, Egbert, my student... I've done what I can...
Go now, peacefully...

Hmm, how could this happen twice...

And that's the scenario cleared. Now we just need to move on Velzeria and finish off Sonya/Böser to cap off this mirror world. But back to Octavian moping around.

Farewell Jessica. Farewell Cherie...

So the Descendants are no more? The end of an era...

Arguably, the Descendants still exist through the bloodlines of Octavian, Leon & Cherie but the Army of Light is definitely no more. Don't know if I'm being overly pedantic or that's an oversight by the translators.

A true warrior takes strength from his enemy's defeat.

Whew, that was quite a fight. Tomorrow, I'll need to take a load off.

I'm pretty excited!

I can't wait...!
Egbert, you said you'd teach me magic after the war, so let's have some teaching!

Think about it later, Hein.

AKA :fuckoff:

Hmmm, Laird's scout. What's wrong? Talk.

It's urgent! You must return to the Imperial Capital!
Castle Rayguard, it's... it's under attack by monsters!

:ohdear:

What the!? How can that be?

Our soldiers have been committed elsewhere, so we're very much outnumbered!
His Highness and Laird are commanding the defense! Please return immediately!

His Highness was an outstanding general before he ascended the throne.
Still, in a situation like this... even he'll need assistance. We must slay the monsters.
If you're thinking of a plan, then hurry up with it.

The enemies have powerful magicians as well. They're not ordinary monsters.

I know that well. Your horses look tired to death. We'll take care of this matter, so please get some rest.
Everyone, let's go! Make haste to Castle Rayguard!

Well, hot drat! We've some sweet divergence occurring here. If we give the Army of Light time, they fortify but if we give the Forces of Darkness breathing room, they attack our capital! On the other hand, by going after Jessica we've managed to spare Cherie from being put to the sword. The downside is now we get even less time to raise Sonya, should we recruit her. Oh well.

Let's tie a bow on this mirror world next time, where we'll save the day for Rayguard and then move on to quash Böser once and for all.

MonotoneMorgan fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 10, 2015