Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodybuilding Virgin 420
Aug 29, 2000

f

Bodybuilding Virgin 420 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
My dad took me to see this the year it came out, when I was 14. Very good documentary about a very interesting artist.

This past Christmas he bought me a collection of drawing R. Crumb had done while in restaurants on napkins over the years, of people he was dining with and various patrons, happenings, etc. Very good stuff, the guy's got style. And problems.

I'll give it a 5.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
This was a great look into Crumb's life, and I was really surprised at how depressing parts of it were. You really got a feel for his personality through the details though, like the way he keeps a black and white tv set to this day and other quirks like that.

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?
This was an amazing documentary.

Although it did seem a bit long, not much can be said bad about it in my mind.

Crumb is a remarkable character, and the insight given into his life is extremely interesting. Often funny, always wierd and extreme, and at times really sad, this film is excellent.

5/5

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I don't have any huge investment in 70's vintage weirdo comics.

But even so, I enjoyed this documentary a great deal.

Excellent job of illustrating the fine line between being goddamn weird and fairly successful, and being goddamn weird unprofitably.

Both this and "American Splendor" are worth watching, even if you don't care for comics.

grahamobroin
Feb 16, 2004
I found this to be standard documentart fare and nothing except subject matter set it apart. I found Mr. Crumb and his family to be deeply disturbing. I was especially revolted by the fact that it appeared to be implying that Crumb's brother was or would become a paedophile. I have seen a lot of crap on the internet but it helps to bring home how deeply messed up some people are. I couldn't in all conscience recommend this film to anyone unless I hated them and wanted to mess up their head.

i_am_the_hydra
Feb 1, 2001
The entire Crumb family, it becomes painfully clear in the movie, suffer from some variety of dementia or schizophrenia. Robert happened to channel it into cartoons which were adored by the counter-culture of the 1960s, making him into a near-icon (or, at least the creator of many near-icons), but he could have just as easily, it seems, driven it into unproductive areas as well like his mother and two brothers who also feature prominently in the film.

Crumb is a true descent into true madness, and the madness of his kin. R. Crumb himself seems to be a pretty awful human being, but he'd never claim otherwise. There's a fine line here: Is Crumb art or just insanity? And really, what is the difference? I found it a very spooky documentary about a very spooky group of people -- spooky in that in became increasingly difficult to believe that they were "for real" and actually as crazy as they seemed. A really quite rewarding film all around, though.

4.5/5

i_am_the_hydra fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 4, 2004

negseven
Mar 5, 2003

Tromaville Uber Alles!
I thought that although the documentary was informative, it had a tendancy to really drag in some parts. If the final edit was shorter, I think the film would have been much more sucessful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
A fantastic look at the WORK of Robert Crumb, but sadly I left the cinema feeling I needed to know more. Zwigoff has a tendancy to leave too many questions unanswered (A criticism I level at Ghost World), making this feel more Chronology than Biography.

Certainly interesting viewing. 4/5