Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

Directed by: Peter Sollett
Starring: Victor Rasuk, Judy Marte

I love this movie. On many levels, it is a story of a group of characters growing and learning from their actions. Each person in the film is given a chance to overcome their personal limitations. Victor grows up from a street smart kid to someone who finally understands how to throw away his machismo. Juicy-Judy is given the chance to finally admit that she likes a boy and that she is willing to take a chance on him. And Grandma finally learns how to let go of the children that she is preventing from growing up.

When you watch this film, there is a genuine feeling of peering into the lives of ordinary people in comical yet real situations- this is because the director has found a way to let the real personalities of the individuals come across even though they many of the lines are scripted. The street-smart dialogue is merely there so that you can understand the transitions that these characters go through by the end of the film - you are supposed to see how they mature - there are some raw and vulgar moments in this film - but it's just character development.

This is great directing, and great casting for film that should have been seen by more people than it did. I saw this in the theater and I have been turning people onto this movie whenever I can. It's hilarious, charming, and emotionally engaging all at the same time... Bravo!

RATING: 5

PROS: hip, urban coming of age story
CONS: an independent film that might put off people with little understanding of ethnic and urban environments

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU