Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Directed by: Terry Zwigoff
Starring: Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Lauren Graham

Bad Santa is a movie that strikes you initially as funny. It's like that tantalizing McDonalds burger that you know tastes vaguely like newspaper and likely contains the meat of any number of domesticated animals. But somehow, someway, it draws you in. From the onset, something in you wants to like Billy Bob even though he's a loser and a douchebag. He has a detached coolness about him, and some sort of deep patheticness that makes you want to see him succeed.

But then, you watch the movie a second time and it runs something like this.
BILLY BOB: loving cock poo poo (pisses himself) christ goddamn gently caress (shits himself)!!
GIRL: I'll gently caress any emotionally abusive piece of poo poo because I'm the ideal woman!
KID: Gee whiz, Santa!
BILLY BOB: gently caress you kid you loving pussy poo poo human being rear end in a top hat!!!!
MIDGET: I'm a midget and I'm black, motherfucker!!!

It's a pretty sly attempt to subvert Christmas spirit or whatever, but the message is as hollow and phony as the rest of them. The bad guys are scuttled off while Billy Bob presumably has a pleasant life to look forward to with a retard and an impossibly beautiful girlfriend. Merry Assfucking Christmas Shitcocker!! Also, this movie would have you believe that alcoholism is just about the coolest loving thing on this earth. Yeah, the chicks dig cirrosis of the liver like you wouldn't believe.

RATING: 2

PROS: Some mildly funny scenes
CONS: Mostly retarded, edgy and sappy in equally lame ways

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

NADZILLA fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 21, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Bad Santa has a lot of misses and scenes that just aren't funny, but there's a handful of really funny scenes that make up for them. Unfortunately, they only take Billy Bob's character further than "he drinks and swears!" a couple times in the movie. His swearing is annoyingly excessive at times, with extra "fucks" and "shits" that come off as very forced. The ending sucked, as already mentioned. It's still got some laughs but I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

There's a few scenes and jokes ("you ain't gonna poo poo right for a week" or the wooden pickel) that standout as hilarious, which saved this movie from a lower rating.

Bloated Pussy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 12, 2004

McMurphy
Feb 14, 2004

THE FACES OF THOSE IVE KILLED
THE FACES OF THE DEAD
THE FACES OF THOSE I'VE KILLED

This is a kind of movie where is the humor is so low-brow its high-brow. One of the few other movies that can achieve something like that is The Big Lewbowski. The language is layed on thick, but in such a way that it isn't very "vulgar." Its for sure not a kids movie.

The acting is great. I'm not a big fan of Bernie Mac but I found that he did a great job here, not playing his usual typecast character he does in other movies.

A 4/5 for me.

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
The vulgarity in this movie was indeed hilarious; not just because it was vulgar, just the way in which it was done. To have a Santa be this way, while not caring whether or not he's in front of children, is just genious in my opinion. Many of the jokes were very laugh out loud. The movie kept a reasonable pace, I was never bored, and it was just all around fun. I've heard Billy Bob Thornton say that this movie has a lot of features usually seen in independent films and can now be seen here by the mainstream audience; very good analogy. I thoroughly enjoyed this comedy. Not one of the best movies I've seen, but definetly enjoyable.

4/5

Kevin H
Jul 17, 2001
The only really funny thing in this movie was how hosed up Billy Bob's character was and that he would just be such a fuckup. Basically, besides watching him swear in front of the kids was all that I found funny in this movie with a few exceptions. Pretty entertaining but not absolutely hilarious.

metal face
May 10, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Through this movie I have discovered that I have much more of a conscious than I give myself credit for. While I laughed at some of the jokes, most of the time I just felt sorry for Thurman because of the way Billy Bob treated him. Also, Bernie Mac is only funny when he is being Bernie Mac.

I give it a 2/5 because the story was original, and the few jokes that I did find funny had me laughing until i fell off of my chair.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

With all the hype this movie got, I expected it to be better then the film I saw, which had me wondering if it was the same one I read reviews on. I could swear I heard every zing in the movie before somewhere else, which weren't funny to begin with. Bad Santa's level of wit was that of a grade schooler. HAHAHAHA ITS SO FUNNYYY TO SEE SANTA DRINK BEEEERRR AND SAY CUSS WORDS!!!! The movie was a bad Mad TV skit that was way too long! 2/5 Because it was funny to laugh at the fat kid for the first few minutes.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

The beginning was, surprisingly, incredibly funny and I watched some parts twice.
The ending was a bit hoaky as mentioned, but nonetheless it was an average way to draw a conclusion.
I really dig characters like the one Thornton portrayed in this movie, and I think he did a great job.
The excessive swearing was awesome, the fighting and hits as well.
I felt a bit sorry for the fat kid, but I liked how when BBT helps the kids out he is helping himself get out of his negative groove, not only by making him feel better about himself, but by making a pseudo fix of his own childhood

4.5/5

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
Although I know it doesn't necessarily make for a good movie, I thought the excessive swearing was used well and was quite comedic.

Beyond the jr. high opinion of HURR HUR HUR THEY SWEARED AND ITS FUNNAY, there is never usually humor found in a swear word alone, but every time Thornten said gently caress, it just seemed to me expertly fit into the sentance.

I don't know if that made sense or not, and it seems really immature to critique a movie based on the way someone swear in it, but oh well.

I thought it was a pretty entertaining movie and will watch it again.

4/5

pipingfiend
Jun 23, 2004
Really enjoyed this film. Finally a christmas movie aimed at adults

Viperblaze
Sep 10, 2004
Banned Jerk
Absolutely hilarious, one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Billy Bob has fantastic comedic delivery and the kid is pretty great too with his reactions.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This is one of the funniest movies I've seen in awhile. Ebert said it takes no prisoners and is completely uncompromising and that's exactly true. It's almost perfect, except for the ending, which didn't really make much sense, and Bernie Mac's character served no purpose.

jaym
Jan 23, 2004

by OMGWTFBBQ
Easily the best movie I've ever seen. From Billy Bob Thorton to that retarded kid, everyone gives a great performance. It's freaking hilarious and had me laughing every single second.

5.5/5

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

He's Santa, and he's bad. Get it? You will after 95 minutes of having it beaten into you. I won't say I didn't laugh... at some points, I laughed drat hard. But it wore out quickly while the movie trudged on towards its somewhat predictable conclusion. Could have used more Bernie Mac. Rating: 2/5

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
It's a concept that VERY easily could have failed, but Billy Bob Thornton played a pretty much perfect pathetic drunken loser. If it was anyone other than him, it probably wouldve been a terrible movie.

I give it 4/5

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
I'm going to rate it from what I felt in the theater. I think I saw it before any buzz or anything and I had a great time. Beyond the cussing and whatnot, I felt this was a real life true character. People cuss. I mean, gosh darn, they really do. And if you're an alchie who has to get pissed on by kids, and life has taken a poo poo on your head, I'm gonna guess you might cuss more than average.

There were a few scenes I laughed out loud for a while. When the dorf takes the golf club to the mannequin, I just lost it.

This person is an anti-hero. We haven't had them in movies in...poo poo, I don't know, decades? He has almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever. For an adult who occupies most of the screentime, that's pretty out there. You can almost see some studio exec reading the script, getting maybe 10 pages in, skipping ahead, going, "wtf is this guy smoking? No way in hell anyone will ever make this." Not only does it show the lead in a really bad light (something actors/agents/publicists HATE), it shows just about everyone that way.

One thing about shock humor, it doesn't hold up in repeat viewings. I haven't rented this, so I don't know if I'd still find it funny or if the humor was a one-shot. But in the theater, just for pure balls and pure fun, it gets a 4.5 from me.

WiccanAngel
Nov 17, 2004
Wills - Test 9
I definitely enjoyed this film, though DukeRustfield said it best, the humor was funny the first time, possibly the second time, but beyond that, it probably would not be half as good.
I fell out of my chair laughing at the "gently caress me Santa, gently caress me Santa" part, however.

3.5 / 5.0

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
3.5/5
Better than your average Xmas movie.
Favourite lines involve the 'subplot', "She ain't gonna sit down for a week"
Now I have a second film for my annual "Alone on Christmas Eve" Movie Festival, the other one of course is Die Hard.

willy1623
Jan 17, 2004
the ace in the hole
The movie takes a cetain sense of humor. Great change from most of the cheesy christmas films 4/5

Agent4096
Dec 1, 2004

by Fistgrrl
This movie had a lot of hype when I saw it, a lot of reviewers were polarized by it. I went in expecting nothing much and got a lot out of it.

The redemption of Billy Bob's character is slow and telegraphed, but it's worth every bit of it. The kid just plays his part so deadpan, he makes a great straight guy to Billy Bob's continuous swearing. There are so many great quotes in the movie, so many one liners that have a lot of mileage on them.

It's one to watch with teenage kids, not grandma, send her out to make sandwiches.

4/5

Phase Distorter
Dec 9, 2003

I viewed this movie last night in it's "badder" unrated form.

A sassy talking black midget and his alcoholic safe crackin' buddy diguise as Santa and his elf in order to steal from the malls.

It was tedious and had some vulgar humor in it, and the jokes were crude and predictable. I was a tad dissapointed that Billy Bob's character pulled a Grinch.

If you want to watch a Christmas themed robbery movie this season.
Rent The Ref.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1MHXYx2820
10/10