Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Directed by: John McTiernan
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Austin O'Brien, Charles Dance

Action movies inhabit an entirely different universe of logic where lone alcholic renegade cops triumph over armies of henchmen, bullets ping harmlessly off iron railings, and all vehicles explode instantly on contact. Last Action Hero (1993) knows and accepts that universe and comes out as a decent parody and homage to the cliches and conventions of action movies.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is perfectly cast as Jack Slater, the loose canon renegade movie cop now in his fourth sequel. Schwarzenegger's movies are always goofy enough to be just shy of some sort of farce, so he knows exactly what is expected of him.

In concept, Last Action Hero sounds like a fantastic movie for action movie fans by delivering the stunts and violence while winking at the audience. However, the presence of Austin O'Brien as a kid obsessed with action movies who gets sucked into the movie world via a magical ticket from Houdini nearly destroys the movie. The little kid functions as the jackass in the audience who keeps pointing out the obvious cliches the movie is trying to parody. It's as if the writers felt action audiences would be inable to pick up on such subtle jokes as a police chief so angry at Arnold that steam actually comes out of his ears, so they needed to have a little kid point out that police chiefs are often angry in action movies. The little kid also bogs down the movie with his real life problems as a latchkey kid searching for a father figure.

Not to say Last Action Hero is a total train wreck. Stylistically, the action scenes within "Jack Slater IV" are almost convincing enough to be a real action movie. There are also some flashes of brilliance, such as the hilarious trailer for "Arnold Schwarzenegger is Hamlet." However, the final act of the movie, taking place in the "real world" is nearly unwatchable.

Overall, Last Action Hero is a fantastic concept that was not all that well done. The movie would have been much better if they cut out the kid and just released "Jack Slater IV" as a free-standing movie.

RATING: 3

PROS: Wonderful concept, the Hamlet scene, passably entertaining
CONS: Annoying little kid ruins the movie, third act is dreadful

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107362/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob The Ripper
Jan 20, 2004

You can run.
You can hide.
Gonna get ya.
This movie is alright, except for one outstanding problem. The main character, was horribly played by introducing actor Austin O'Brian. Never before have I seen a movie that's quality had been reduced so much by the failure of one single actor. At no point in this movie did I actually believe in the character- due to the shortcomings of O'Brian. I may be wrong, but I don't think he has been in any other movie since Last Action Hero. It isn't hard to see why. 2.

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

Arnold rules in this movie because he gets to make fun of himself so much.

elister
Dec 29, 2001

by Mayor Wilkins

quote:

dojokm came out of the closet to say:
Arnold rules in this movie because he gets to make fun of himself so much.

I agree. In addition, this movie should not be taken seriously at all. Its a spoof of his own movies. The kid doesnt ruin the movie.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
This film is a guilty pleasure for me. It has a handful of moments of actually intelligent humor, but for the most part relies on weird gags and celebrity cameos. I can't really defend it, but something about the whole thing never fails to amuse me. I also enjoy the ending - which features Ian "Gandalf" McKellen as Death.

4.5 - which, admittedly, is largely due to my personal bias.

RoboticSilence
Apr 8, 2004

Yummy!
I remember thinking this movie was awesome when I first saw it. I remember thinking it was awesome the second time I saw it. I still think it's awesome. It's a parody of action films and Arnold parodies himself. Pretty loving great idea and played out well. 4/5

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
Don't know why this movie gets poo poo on so much. It's a pretty hilarious film from start to finish with not to mention some pretty nifty action sequences (and by action sequences I mean poo poo exploding).

Just be warned though, I'm one of those weird people who find Arnold Swartzenegger absolutely charming.

4/5

also: there are a shitload of spoilers in that review. I don't know if this forum cares though so.. whatever.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
4.5, cause i love when people make fun of themselves.

when he pulled out the mp5 (dont shoot me if its not, i havent seen it in forever) in the hamlet trailer i nearly died laughing.

it puts every cliche in an action movie all in one package, and then slams wit with a large wooden mallet, fantastic entertainment.

mammajamma
Oct 14, 2000
Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything.
Cheesy as hell, lame main plot, action scenes look like every 80s movie you ever saw. The plot advancement scenes are mostly dull and only serve to transition in between jokes.

BUT it just about works. The dialog, the little 'movie-land tricks' (like when Arnold climbs out of the tar pits covered in black, then towels off for five seconds and is perfectly fresh and clean) and the wacky cameos all work for me. I think it's hilarious, and at $6-10 on dvd you can't go wrong. 4/5

(Arnold walks up to police officer)
"Hey - you want to be a farmer?"
"Huh?"
"Here's a couple of achers!" (kick to the nuts)

waar
Sep 29, 2001
Like others mentioned, I found this movie lame and boring.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

"He also said you killed Mozart"
"Moe who?"
"Zart"
"I kill a lot of people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesRay
Feb 18, 2004

Out with the Old, in with the Auld
Hamlet part was pretty good, but I loved the car chase scene with the truck full of guys. Then the bridge jump.....the jumping over the storage truck...deserves a good 5/5 stars for making fun of itself.