Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
Directed by: Brian De Palma
Starring: Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer, Steven Bauer, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

Scarface is the only movie that I will give a 5.5 to. It's my all-time favorite movie, which with the resurgence of the film almost sounds clichè in this day and age. Especially with a lot of famous rappers and whatnot jumping on the bandwagon.

The movie is about Antonio "Tony" Montana (Al Pacino), a Cuban emigrant, that comes to American with the dreams of a better life. The movie showcases what happens to him as he goes from having nothing to having pretty much everything he could ever dream of. Of course, he gets to such heights using anything but legal methods. His friend, Manolo "Manny" Ray (Steven Bauer) is with him throughout the journey. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio plays Gina Montana, Tony's sister.

A true "rags to riches" story that showcases what can happen if you make the wrong decisions in life. Very quotable movie as well. Highly recommended, moreso than any other movie I'll ever recommend. The movie never seems to drag for me, despite it's length. I'm a fan of every single scene. Al Pacino puts in what is arguable his best performance ever. Re-made in 1983, this movie, for me, definitely stands the test of time.

If you can get past the 80's style "dance" soundtrack (which I actually enjoy, largely in part to the Grand Theft Auto games) and you like movies about crime, I see no reason as to why Scarface would disappoint you.

170 minutes long, rated R. Very violent with a lot of drug use.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Great story. Action packed. A lot of drama. Climactic ending.
CONS: The soundtrack.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086250/

Coffey fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 18, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kokuja
Jun 16, 2003

She smells like angels oughta smell. The perfect woman. The goddess.
I love this movie. I cant believe I didn't see it for the first time until a year ago. Now that I look back on it, this movie is responsible for a large amount of quotes and one-liners used even today. As far as the soundtrack, it only sucks if you're not into 80's music. This movie and it's soundtrack made GTA Vice City even more entertaining to play. I give the movie a 5.0

Bob The Ripper
Jan 20, 2004

You can run.
You can hide.
Gonna get ya.
I did not like Scarface. At all. It just didn't have enough to hold my attention for a three hour movie. I didn't enjoy the action, I didn't enjoy the dialogue. I didn't find the story to be interesting, either. Sorry. 1.

Lanny McDonald
Oct 20, 2003
1978: Never Forget
I wouldn't call this a "good" movie, but it is at least entertaining in a car-crash sort of way. It is too ridiculously over the top to take seriously. It does make for a great comedy, albeit unintentionally.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
I saw this movie after all the hype it received (friends, omg MTV Cribs) and was a bit disapointed. It is incredibly over the top, but I guess Al Pacino made up for that with his brilliant role. The 80's soundtrack was :coal:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I sure liked it, mang

4 / 5

I have dreams to this day about shoving my face in a kilo of coke and inhaling deeply.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I LOVE this movie! One of my alltime favorites. So quotable, so violent yet hilarious, it's just amazing. Sure some of the accents aren't spot-on, but that doesn't detract from what an amazing movie it is.

5/5

Chubby_Chase
Mar 19, 2003
I liked it too, 4/5 and a 1/4 extra because I love Miami. Never been there, but surely one day. :)

I heard when this movie came out it wasn't very well recieved by the masses.

Some songs that are in this movie are also featured in the "Flash FM" radio station in GTA III.

pipingfiend
Jun 23, 2004
Like the sort of rags to riches element of the film. Other than that it doesn't have much different to offer from other "gangster" films

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
you know, a lot of people underrate this film by calling it nothing but a crazy gangster flick, and a lot of people overrate it by saying it's deep and meaningful and all that jazz. the truth, you know, is somewhere in the middle, but it is very entertaining regardless.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I've seen it a couple times, and I still can't remember much about it, except that it's a cheesy, exaggerated crime-drama from that oddball demigod of hyperviolent paranoid pseudo-political sleaze, Oliver Stone. What's even worse is I doubt Stone set out to write a campy '80s gangster flick — I truly believe he wrote what he considers to be a meaningful meditation on the plight of Cuban immigrants once they hit the American shores.

Still, Al Pacino injected some good acting into his role ... so I guess that makes it worth a 2/5.

HawkedMatter
Jun 29, 2004
Purple Monkey Dishwasher

quote:

alot of people overrate this film

Good movie, but I do not really see why it is viewed as such a big classic as it is.

TheZodiac
Feb 2, 2004
This movie is 20 years old and there has yet to be a gangster movie made that can stand up to Scarface. Al Pacino should have won an oscar for his amazing performance as Tony Montana. 5/5

badtitties
Nov 23, 2001

The greatest survivor
that ever lived...

:911::911::911::911:
Just watched this movie for the first time in a while, and I have to say... the ending never gets old. I know what's going to happen, yet it's still amazing.

Love this movie, everyone should see it at least once.

5.5/5

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I thought it was really, really slow at times but the ending sent chills down my spine. All worth it for that one scene.

Potato Pancakes
Jun 22, 2005

I'm using technology.
If this movie wasn't so ingrained into popular culture I don't think it would get as many positive reviews as it seems to get everywhere. I mean, come on, 8.0 on IMDB? The movie's decent enough to sit through once, but it's overly long, the acting is bad, the plot is ridiculous and the music is horrible. Pacino, instead of acting, seems to just rely on an ANGRY COOBAN GUY impression. I think that if the movie didn't have so many stupid but quotable Pacino momments and it wasn't so constantly jizzed all over by hip hop culture then it would have been forgotten like the boring turd of a film that it is.

1.5/5

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

4/5 for sure

Al Pacino makes this movie. Please don't berate his role as just some crazy cuban immigrant.. I dare you to try and find an actor who could of played this role that well. This movie is definitely a classic when it comes to mob/gangster films.. This one was one of the first to focus on the florida drug scene and the flashy lifestyle that came with it. This movie has quite a few :wtc: moments that make it great and harsh.

Watching this entire movie, you know tony is a ticking time bomb.. Everyone knows the ending.

I didn't really like the bits about his relationship with elvira, it seemed kind of tacked on. Some moments were tacky and kinda cheesy, I agree.

This movie just further cemented Al Pacino as the best gangster actor ever.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

TheZodiac posted:

This movie is 20 years old and there has yet to be a gangster movie made that can stand up to Scarface. Al Pacino should have won an oscar for his amazing performance as Tony Montana. 5/5

Yeah there was. Goodfellas, Carlito's Way, Paid in Full I think was all way better.

Scarface just dragged along for too drat long.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

3/5

A decent gangster flick, but much of it was just ridiculously stupid and over-the-top. The ending is a spectacular example of this. Everyone seems to have a boner for the crazy ending but it just left me thinking :wtc:

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
I love this movie because, even though it is overquoted, it still is more daring than most Gangster Flicks. The main character is not a good guy, clearly psychotic from the beginning, and unworthy of what he gains. He is also played by the best actor in the world, Al Pacino. Why Al Pacino is not recognised as the best actor is beyond me, but he's a true artist. Everyone knows the story of the movie but it manages to remain so good, even with how heavy-handed the director was (slow motion?). I rate it 4 based on Al Pacino's acting mostly.

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee
Awesome movie but I still think it's pretty overrated, and definitely not greatest crime masterpiece or whatever.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Just saw it for the first time tonight. Its very good Pacino's performance is spectacular and the build up to the final gunfight is awesome. However between when Tony starts working for Frank and the setup for the climax the film occasionally meanders. Cut about 30 minutes out of the middle and it would be one of my favorite movies of all time. 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
I think this movie is great if you try not to seek out any protagonists. Not only does it deconstruct the tragedy of organized criminals but it perfectly captures the greed and sleaze of the 80s making it a great period piece.

What bothers me is that people actually glorify the characters in this movie. To me the point of the movie is to show the futility and tragedy of this lifestyle, not to glorify it.

4/5