Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Haha sorry, early for me too. More info

Flying out of either Milwaukee, Madison, or Chicago.

Going to get passports submitted today and will be expediting them.

Not opposed to a cruise either.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Not to be snarky, but really go look up physical travel agent offices in your town and go into one. Modern physical travel agents are pretty specialized in exactly the market share you are part of: someone who doesn’t care where they go, doesn’t want to plan anything themselves, and who wants to go to whatever is the cheapest decent AI in their specific time window. The reason to look locally is that travel companies can and will charter planes specifically for this type of travel, meaning you won’t even see it if you looked independently.

If you do a cruise you might not even need the passports - but I’d still send them out tomorrow just in case you don’t want to limit your possibilites. You will also have to go in person to some government office if this is the first passport for any of you three, and keep in mind you’re paying $200 per passport if you’re especially price sensitive. Even with that it’ll probably still be cheaper than going to somewhere in the US like South Padre Island, plus the water will be a lot warmer.

If you want to look yourself to have a general idea of price then just look for the cheapest AIs in the Yucatán, the DR, and Bahamas. I’m not sure what the best way to sort for that is, i guess google to find some sort of resort comparison site? You could check booking.com but I bet there’s something more specialized

I’ve never done travel like that, but I walk by travel agent offices all the time that advertise these deals (Europe) and I have occasionally looked out of curiosity and they’re way cheaper than I could get myself for flight+3 meals a day+decent hotel. I’ve never done it both because I’m an active vacation kind of person who would get island fever after two days at an AI, and because I actually enjoy the planning, but they’re definitely a good deal for people who enjoy that kind of relaxation travel.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 12, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Punta Cana is a pretty inexpensive place to stay if you’re looking for an all-inclusive. It’s going to be tough to beat in the Caribbean on average.

If you’re just looking for warmth and a beach, it may be worth mentioning you don’t need passports to go to Puerto Rico. Or the US Virgin Islands, but that’s probably not going to be cheap.

But since you mentioned a cruise, that’s a new ball game in inexpensive. It’s not difficult to find cruises that cost $100/day per person or less (may be tougher if it’s 3 people in two cabins, the rates are based on double occupancy). Edit: ok, maybe not so easy to hit <100/day any more, but pretty close to it after port fees especially on longer (5+ day) cruises.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 13, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i normally don't use airbnb or similar when i travel, but i'm trying to arrange a trip with 7 people, and it seemed like the best fit

we selected a place and i booked it through airbnb, only to have the host send a message a few minutes later apologetically stating that they don't know how it happened, but airbnb let us book at only 2/3rds of what should have been the nightly rate. as a compromise they suggest either meeting in the middle of the rate that was advertised and their actual rate, or that we book directly for the same total price and the fees from the platform would make up the shortfall from their usual rate

my assumption is that this guy is jerking us around with a bait and switch. i have friends in the group suggesting we begin negotiating on price, but i really don't feel like dealing with a bad actor. i wanted a second opinion from folks who have dealt with this type of accommodation more than i have, is this kind of thing common and appropriate, or am i right in seeing it as a big red flag

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
It is possible they selected the wrong price for those dates, but gently caress em, they should honor their listed price. I would report the issue to Airbnb as what they are doing is incredibly against the hosting rules, and I would also look for another place unless that is the one and only perfect place you want to stay. Don’t cancel though and don’t book anything else until Airbnb arbitration is finished. Report them to Airbnb and do not engage further for now until Airbnb arbitration has responded.

I’ve done almost 100 Airbnb rentals and have never had that happen. If they have lots of positive reviews it’s probably just they selected the wrong price for those dates but still, that’s not your fault. I would be very sketched out booking directly. I have done that one time, but I had gone and actually met the host in person and he had shown me around the property.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 15, 2023

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Hmm not sure what this is called but an app or website perhaps.

I am looking to basically choose a sitting, pin point a ton of attractions/sights/addresses and I would like the app to show me the optimal route to see them so I don't back track. Any suggestions? Not even sure how I would google this.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

lol internet. posted:

Hmm not sure what this is called but an app or website perhaps.

I am looking to basically choose a sitting, pin point a ton of attractions/sights/addresses and I would like the app to show me the optimal route to see them so I don't back track. Any suggestions? Not even sure how I would google this.

I often make a Google Maps list of all the places I want to check out on a trip (I have a bunch of different lists of saved places), then I zoom out and figure out the path based on where the pins mostly fall. I used to do this with a physical map (back in the day) and just carry it around with me. I don't know if there are any apps to optimize your route, but I like to plot it out myself anyway. Once I can see the points of interest plotted out, I find it's easy to stake out a path. YMMV, I like to wander and give myself time to take an unexpected turn if something comes up, so having an app tell me the optimal path isn't what I am looking for when I travel.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

impossiboobs posted:

I often make a Google Maps list of all the places I want to check out on a trip (I have a bunch of different lists of saved places), then I zoom out and figure out the path based on where the pins mostly fall. I used to do this with a physical map (back in the day) and just carry it around with me. I don't know if there are any apps to optimize your route, but I like to plot it out myself anyway. Once I can see the points of interest plotted out, I find it's easy to stake out a path. YMMV, I like to wander and give myself time to take an unexpected turn if something comes up, so having an app tell me the optimal path isn't what I am looking for when I travel.

What the OP wants is a "Travelling Salesman Problem Solver" but applied to destinations selected on Google Maps, and which I guarantee there are already like a hundred such programs as this is like the most common project assigned to computer science students.

It looks like there are:

https://francofolini.com/2020/09/25/call-google-maps-from-google-sheets-the-travelling-salesman-problem/

which looks pretty easy to use but you'd have to give it a try.

Here's the most recent solution I could find that also looks easy

https://www.reddit.com/r/computerscience/comments/xas8fq/traveling_salesman_problem_implementation_on/

which is a browser extension. I found a million other solutions too, but mostly older and at least a couple were broken.

In practice I do the same thing that impossi does since I don't really care about perfect route optimization.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looks like that Routora extension might be it. "Travelling Salesman Problem Solver" is a new term to me. Thanks!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But since you mentioned a cruise, that’s a new ball game in inexpensive. It’s not difficult to find cruises that cost $100/day per person or less (may be tougher if it’s 3 people in two cabins, the rates are based on double occupancy). Edit: ok, maybe not so easy to hit <100/day any more, but pretty close to it after port fees especially on longer (5+ day) cruises.

Any suggestions on where to find cruise prices like this? I've been underwhelmed by cruises in the past (generally fine but not great). But if there are good cruises that cost less per night than a normal hotel I'd be willing to give them another try.

The prices I'm seeing right now with a quick google is more in the 200-300/day/person right now (for 2 people). And that's before drinks or any other extras. At which point I'd rather stay in a traditional hotel (or AirBnB) and skip the worry of getting back to the ship on time. And the price savings would support going to a very nice restaurant.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Start with the cruise line web sites themselves? It’s kind of a pain since they seem to run constant sales that often only apply to certain dates. The “total base price”, if you will, is the big advertised price plus the “taxes and port fees” listed for each cruise plus mandatory tips, which seems to be $16-18 per day per person depending on cruise line.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have a recommendation for travel insurance? Seems like a lot of places' policies are a lot less friendly than they were pre-Covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Looking to go from sweden to new york to see my brothee. What's the health insursnce situation like? What should i get as a diabetic? Not something i worried about in the past but getting older and don't want some insane bill if the wordt happens