Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is this something I really need to have right now if I'm just playing around (i'll be doing that for quite a while!)? I get it would be nicer, but I'm trying to not spend TOO much right away. I just got the monitors because I didn't want to listen through headphones all the time. If you think the Behringer thing will work that's probably fine, but otherwise I don't want to overdo it on spending.

edit: Also on the back of my monitors there is a RCA-unbalanced and a TRS-balanced. Which one is better to connect to the audio interface?

thanks

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Update: I set the volume on the back of the monitors a bit lower, like -15 dB. That seems to have resolved the buzzing when no sound is being played.

In logic my output latency is 5.4s, 9.8ms round trip at 128 buffer size. So if I'm recording something (say I'm changing an attack with one of the controller knobs) that means there will be a small delay between when it's being recorded and when I hear it coming out of the monitors?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
save up like $1000 and get an apollo twin lol

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

actionjackson posted:

In logic my output latency is 5.4s, 9.8ms round trip at 128 buffer size. So if I'm recording something (say I'm changing an attack with one of the controller knobs) that means there will be a small delay between when it's being recorded and when I hear it coming out of the monitors?
Yeah, between you doing it and between you hearing it. Where the recorded data ends up in the project timeline can be automatically compensated for. Midi control action to audio is pretty much only the 5ms output latency though. Round trip is for incoming audio going out again.

Those latencies are pretty good and should be barely noticeable, if at all.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

actionjackson posted:

Is this something I really need to have right now if I'm just playing around (i'll be doing that for quite a while!)? I get it would be nicer, but I'm trying to not spend TOO much right away. I just got the monitors because I didn't want to listen through headphones all the time. If you think the Behringer thing will work that's probably fine, but otherwise I don't want to overdo it on spending.

edit: Also on the back of my monitors there is a RCA-unbalanced and a TRS-balanced. Which one is better to connect to the audio interface?

thanks

Ideally TRS-balanced if you're running cables of any significant length. And yeah, reducing the volume will help with that; I had gotten some larger monitors and set them at the "recommended" mid-level and the buzz was getting worrysome. Then I realized I had to turn down everything so much going in anyway it was better just dropping the volume most of the time on the monitors and not having to be chasing hums all the time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with my current setup for now. I've made some progress with ultrabeat and gotten more samples for that. Working a bit on the alchemy synth now which is at least somewhat intuitive for me.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Has anyone used the Native Instruments Komplete 6 audio interface? There's a guy selling one on craiglist for 150, which is the same price as a new focusrite 2i2.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

actionjackson posted:

Has anyone used the Native Instruments Komplete 6 audio interface? There's a guy selling one on craiglist for 150, which is the same price as a new focusrite 2i2.

I don’t have personal experience but my buddy used one for a while and liked it quite a bit. I remember it having a lot of I/O for the price. I’m not sure if this applies, but I would make sure that it is the latest version of the interface (if there are multiple versions). I know I have seen a lot of Focusrite stuff on Craigslist but it was always the older generation.

Also, I’m not sure if it matters if the seller is also transferring his hardware license. That’s one thing I’m never really sure about if it is needed, or if you can get the necessary drivers without registering it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I looked into getting one, ended up with a focusrite, cos the NI was so expensive. If you can get a deal I think they're pretty slick.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Apparently if you buy used NI equipment you have to get the original owner to transfer the registration and all sorts of stupid poo poo

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Pretty solid latency for the price I think, they are getting older now but at one point were the best bang-for-buck in the price range. Im on my second one after a few years of use wrecked the usb port. No idea if thats a good price. Ive found it reliable, and the volume knob on top makes things much easier - especially if something goes wrong its great to not have to fumble about to kill the noise.

Worked fine with my old macbook and with my PC. Besides a warranty transfer I dont know what youd actually need to transfer registration for - just DL the drivers (from site, not part of their bohemoth integrated systems) and go. Ive only used on windows 7 and older versions of OSX so I dont know about Win10 or new OSX.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The craiglist seller for that disappeared, but I got the Focusrite and got the 2i2 so I could use TRS cables. It's really nice, plugged it in and everything worked pretty much instantly.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you guys for the advice around Ableton a few pages ago. I'm back here at this juncture with the same old problem: I have neither the bandmates nor the equipment (or desire to acquire such) to record rock music even though I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now, and have the urge to make music that I can share with others just to some small degree.

I don't have the skills locked in and I just can't force myself to follow UNREGISTERED HYPERCAM "tutorials" where a dude spends 15 minutes dragging midi notes around with no commentary or justification. Legit Books? Courses? Video tutorials? Less around the tooling and more around the workflow, composition, etc.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 21, 2018

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm trying to get my APC Mini to control Ableton Live Lite 9's drum rack and I'm getting nowhere. I get that it's supposed to be for launching clips, but it's my one pad and I want to try putting together some drum clips.
I think I need to know:
1. How to address the drum pads (the play buttons don't show up blue when I enter MIDI mapping mode)
2. How to unmap the clip launch keys

Edit: Alternately how do I make the clip grid instantly reactive? Disable launch quantization.

Edit 2: This doesn't quite get me where I wanted since some of the claps I wanted to use are .adg and won't drop into an audio track.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 17, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
just buy a mpd218

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

just buy a mpd218

I found a used MPD32 on Craigslist, is that thing better or just more complex? I'm mostly interested in live video performance and was just dabbling in Live because I had the free Lite code.

Edit: Do the three control banks on the MPD32 allow me to control different programs? Like point one at Resolume, one at Live and one with both? (I am not shelling out for Live Suite to get Max any time soon.)

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 18, 2018

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'm trying to get my APC Mini to control Ableton Live Lite 9's drum rack and I'm getting nowhere. I get that it's supposed to be for launching clips, but it's my one pad and I want to try putting together some drum clips.
I think I need to know:
1. How to address the drum pads (the play buttons don't show up blue when I enter MIDI mapping mode)
2. How to unmap the clip launch keys

Edit: Alternately how do I make the clip grid instantly reactive? Disable launch quantization.

Edit 2: This doesn't quite get me where I wanted since some of the claps I wanted to use are .adg and won't drop into an audio track.

It might be possible to do what you want using Control Surface Scripts - these let you change how ableton interprets the signals coming from the controller. If the API mini is sending some kind of CC values when you press the buttons, I think you should be able to remap them. Feel free to PM me for help, I did this with my akai mpk mini (which is admittedly different)

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How do I pass the MIDI from my MPD218 in Live to Resolume? I set up loopMIDI like I had it before and I'm not getting anything except clock if I turn that on.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

TVsVeryOwn posted:

How do I pass the MIDI from my MPD218 in Live to Resolume? I set up loopMIDI like I had it before and I'm not getting anything except clock if I turn that on.

I ended up using CopperLan, it's kinda cool for stuff I can't connect with OSC I guess.

I'm wondering if there's a way to post-process MIDI velocity. I want to instead of sending note off when I release my drum pad for it to send the velocity falling off for an arbitrary amount of time. Do I have to finally learn Bome?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The release stage of an envelope is already post-note off fade out speed. Your sound generator may already offer you the option to set it to an arbitrary value. Or offer you to modulate the length randomly or in relation to note on or off velocity.

Velocity isn't a continuous controller either way. There are volume or expression controllers for that in the midi domain, but they are channel wide, not note specific. Also, removing note off events is not a great idea.

Using the sound generator's internal options (or using another sound generator that offers them) is going to be the most painless method imo. Some sort of midi translator might work if it allows you to set release length through midi, I guess, but I don't know why you'd prefer that.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

The release stage of an envelope is already post-note off fade out speed. Your sound generator may already offer you the option to set it to an arbitrary value. Or offer you to modulate the length randomly or in relation to note on or off velocity.

Velocity isn't a continuous controller either way. There are volume or expression controllers for that in the midi domain, but they are channel wide, not note specific. Also, removing note off events is not a great idea.

Using the sound generator's internal options (or using another sound generator that offers them) is going to be the most painless method imo. Some sort of midi translator might work if it allows you to set release length through midi, I guess, but I don't know why you'd prefer that.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't understand most of that first bit.
Using the generator's parameters is right out since I can't find an OSC patch for the Ableton drum rack. So I'm splitting the MIDI up with CopperLAN for the drum controller and I've this wild hare in my rear end about velocity in my visuals now.

Edit: Got it, as in the attack decay sustain release.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 25, 2018

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Turns out the answer was Bome, but I didn't have to learn poo poo. I just posted on their forums.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Maybe this thread is dead as a doornail but if anyone would like to give me some feedback I'd appreciate it!

This is a long track I adapted from a semi-improvised live show I just did last weekend. Wondering if it drags on and is too patched-together as a standalone recording. My favorite section is the last 2 or 3 minutes where it's basically just percussion and a simple bass so part of me wants to just strip everything out, but I suspect that part only works because it's preceded by a bunch of other stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/ratsreebok/good-natured-ghosts/s-ndlwz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Just found this thread, and wanted to thank the early pages for clarifying how to use VSTs and mixing--I didn't know how to use any of that poo poo, and now I'm actually exploring the Analog Lab thing that came with my Arturia controller and various drumkits.

I've played at various points in my life, guitar, bass, banjo, violin, ukulele, mandolin, and never really played with a band or as a solo artist anything. I finally got around to building a little pocket studio in my bedroom--a cracked out Mac Pro, Tascam audio interface (part of a TrackPack thing that came with a cardioid mic, interface, and some headphones), Arturia MiniLab, and MuLab as my DAW. It's really cool to finally get a chance to compose with precision and play with instruments I don't physically own, especially keyboard type instruments.

Again I barely grasp theory and my actual musical competence is dicey, but something helpful is I have a Tascam DR-05 recorder that if I think of a cool "riff" or tune, I record myself dah-dah-dah or la-la-laing it, and run it through software like AnthemScore to get the notes. That's probably not ideal, but I like it as a kind of audio notebook.

I wanted to kinda chime in and say that as someone who's not a natural musician, this setup works for me, even though it's pretty piecemeal and low-rent. The most expensive part was the MiniLab, actually--worth it, since I can use Analog Lab as a VST and there are some magical sounds in there.

With all the new stuff I learned, I've got a goal to put out at least four tracks by the end of the year and get a Soundcloud set up.

• Locked thread