Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Did a whole weekend of loving around on the wagon and I'm not any closer to finding any obvious leaks. Booked it in with Subaru to smoke test the evap system on Friday. Defeated. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Smoke leak test showed nothing. Evap vent valve has an internal short and will allow gas in but won't close to burn the vapour. I at least have my answer and ordered the $400 emissions box because I only have two weeks left until test is due.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
At the very least this has given me a new and faster way to test vent valves than actually having to dismantle something. Just take the harness off and do a resistance test between the two pins on the vent valve.

If it's 0 ohm like yours was, boom, new vent valve time. I should test the crusted-up one I just pulled out of my car.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Wagon is being a bitch and evap canister didn't fix issue. :can:

I've got 9 days to fix it or no sticker renewal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have a local subaru crisis management negotiator on the line.

Was the wiring harness all crumbly near the solenoid?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Due to stupid laws involving who does the work, anything I've spent on the car to this point is nil when considered for a reasonable ($450 w/labour and parts/diagnosis/repair) maximum because I had Subaru do it. :blush: So the wagon is off to an emission certified technician to figure out what the short is about. Harness looked good for the 12" or so I could expose. All wires tested good for continuity in the rear part of the harness. Screw it, pay the $450 and be done with it.

It might take them a bit to reach that limit and the tags expire at the end of this month. Back up plan engage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You're gonna put those shorts and and wash windshields for quarters?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Pffft. Put those shorts on and wash cocks for a $20 ;)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rhyno posted:

I don't think you understand what it takes to pass emissions in Ontario

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The Subaru is stickered and legal. Total cost of this adventure has reached $1k but I'm technically done with it.

The ECU was determined to be dickered as it was giving a constant 12v in test mode. Emissions guy did his routine he has to do (test car, fail car, diagnose, attempt repair to limit of $450, then conditional pass if not repaired).

The ECU lists as $931. I won't be forced to buy it because it's over the repair limit. Ever. So I'm permanently exempt from P0448 for my bi-annual emission tests. Downside is I have no cruise control while the CEL freaks out all day. Probably grab a used ECU and Subaru do their thing so my keys and everything work like it should. I don't have to do it any time soon, so I can keep the Miata in the garage for nice days, Subaru for work and whatever, and ride the Mazda5 on longer trips.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you feel like it, pop the cover off the ECU and take some high res pictures of all the driver transistors for me. They might be covered in conformal coating and illegible but hopefully not.

There's a solid chance you can desolder one, solder a replacement in for $15, and be on your way.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sock, those cars are incredibly easy to mess with the ECU using ROMRaider to shut off codes. I bought a $100 adapter that's been sitting around for years now (sold car) that we could permanently shut that CEL off and get cruise back. I had to do this on my Saabaru because the secondary air system failed and I sure as poo poo wasn't paying $1k to get cruise to work.

I'm in the Detroit area if you wanted to pop across the border for a quick flash and go.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Larrymer posted:

pop across the border for a quick flash and go

:airquote:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Sock, those cars are incredibly easy to mess with the ECU using ROMRaider to shut off codes. I bought a $100 adapter that's been sitting around for years now (sold car) that we could permanently shut that CEL off and get cruise back. I had to do this on my Saabaru because the secondary air system failed and I sure as poo poo wasn't paying $1k to get cruise to work.

I'm in the Detroit area if you wanted to pop across the border for a quick flash and go.

The NA ECU and turbo ECU's are very different.

If you can open source dump codes on an NA ECU I'm all ears :D

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I just want to say that even though you came to my kids birthday party and I was near the car, my Subaru curse is not responsible for this pre-existing condition

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Slow is Fast posted:

The NA ECU and turbo ECU's are very different.

If you can open source dump codes on an NA ECU I'm all ears :D

Dunno, seems like it works just the same since the ECUs are supported.

http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/SupportedECUs

Sock, I don't know the details of your car (Year, 06 or 07) and if it's a manual or auto. We need to hook up to read the ECU and make sure it's supported, download your calibration then we can uncheck whatever codes you want and reflash. It's a pretty simple process and would probably take an hour or two start to finish including installing all the programs and downloading files. It's been awhile since I've done it but I was able to not gently caress it up on my car when I had to do it. :D

If you'd rather not make the trip to potentially not be able to flash, I can maybe ship you my Tactrix at cost if you'll ship it back when you're done. :) Looks like around $20 flat rate? I just don't know how much of a pain customs and all that poo poo is (I never ship internationally).

Was waiting for this. haha.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Miata is done with E-test. Replaced pads and rotors all around and the rear drivers caliper because the allen key was rusted solid in the back of the caliper. I'll have the safety check done Thursday and then finally transferred into my name. That was kind of the sticking point on the Miata getting on the road with those plates again.

I also dropped my god drat phone and the screen is gone to poo poo. Blows dick after this $1500 Subaru/Miata adventure. :bang:

• Locked thread