Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Meow Meow Meow posted:

No of course not. Happy to share any techniques if anyone wants to build something similar.

first question. how do I tan the pig hide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I outsourced that part.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

*taking notes* fascinating

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just Winging It posted:

I didn't know Bridge City sponsored youtubers, those guys don't seem to touch anything that doesn't come in a systainer or requires physical effort lmao

*shocked YouTube face behind ‘THROW AWAY YOUR SHOOTING BOARD AFTER YOU SEE THIS’*
Video content: Felder/Hammer gave me this sliding table saw to try out, now I don’t need a shooting board!

There is a ton of manual skill in woodworking, and especially hand tool woodworking, that really can only be gained by time on the tools. I think the appeal of fancy tools is that they’ll let you skip that, but they won’t. Someone with 20 years experience can use a bad chisel more effectively than someone with little experience can use a good one. They’ll also know the difference between a bad chisel and a good one, and be able to turn a bad one into a good one.

That being said, if you’re teaching yourself from books or YouTube or whatever, buying a known good tool can be super helpful to know what the tool should feel like and how it should work when it’s working well. This has come up itt before and it never occurred to me as a problem, but most people doing woodworking at home are self taught, and even the best video can’t show you what a well set-up plane or properly ground skew should feel like. Being able to have someone who knows what they’re doing hand you a tool that is set up so you can get your eBay plane to feel like that one, or better yet someone looks at your eBay plane and says ‘oh yeah that’s sharp but you’ve got the chip breaker waaaay too far back and that’s causing all your problems’ is really huge. I’ve never taken a woodworking class, but it seems like that kind of stuff would be as useful as whatever the class was actually nominally about.

Anyway THE BEST PLANE that everyone should have is a good metal block plane. If I grab a plane (which isn’t as often as I’d like) it’s probably that one. It’s weird because they are kinda esoteric but my hollows and rounds are probably the 2nd most common planes I use. I don’t do a ton of hand plane work because I have machines and sandpaper for that but hollows and rounds solve a lot of problems in my work that aren’t easily, quickly, or cheaply solved any other other way.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I have to plane all my wood by hand because I don't have space for any machines. Actually I just got a thickness planer because I can fit it under my bench. Now I can just use the hand planes to flatten one side and one edge and use the machine for the other two (unless the board is too wide in which case I guess I'll have to hand plane the opposite edge too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have an all wood near 3ft jointer plane and its great.

Dialing in the blade depth and angle is a bit fussy and its annoying you have to typically do it more than once per session in use but i also get very fast at dialing it in if i use it more often.

At this point, I’d say the best tool is the one that you’re going to actually just sit down and use right away .